history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Oct 25 2014 10:57PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Let me tell you about the middle path.

Dressing in rough and dirty garments, letting your hair grow matted,
abstaining from eating any meat or fish, does not clean the one who is deluded.
Mortifying the flesh through excessive... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZEN VS MINDFULNESS VS TM
vertical line Posted on Feb.12.2012 @ 05:46PM EDT by Ricky1990
I'm currently looking into Mindfulness meditation to help with depression and anxiety, but I am curious to know more about Zen and the differences between Mindfulness and Zen.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Feb.12.2012
06:02PM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line Zen Master who lives 20 min from me says that the most importan word in zen is ATTENTION.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135840
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Feb.13.2012
06:37AM EDT 
vertical line

I was an abused kid and have suffered from depression all of my life.  75% of abused kids get major depression, the other 25% get mild depression.  I believe I fall into the 25% with mild depression because I got into meditation.  A friend with major depression recently died at age 57, from drinking too much. 

I believe that sitting and meditation have a very positive effect in reversing depression.  Knowledge of the condition itself is also key.  Know the enemy, and know yourself too.

Attention, being able to drop everything and just be in the moment, is important.  I think the easiest way to do that is to stop the internal dialogue, and breathe deeply, using the stomach muscles.  You can do that anytime, and preferably all the time.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135845
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Feb.13.2012
10:17AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line mindfullness is zen.

pay attention.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135848
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.13.2012
05:24PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line The spirit of meditation is 'Watch, it will come.' But if you tell that to a non-meditator they'll think otherwise because they just don't have any sense in the notion 'It arrives as it will.' Something worries them about that.

I think this is why mindfulness is so important because you're waiting for 'the thing' to happen through meditation or spontaneity that until it does you'll be consciously living with care.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135857
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Feb.13.2012
06:31PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The spirit of meditation is 'Watch, it will come.' But if you tell that to a non-meditator they'll think otherwise because they just don't have any sense in the notion 'It arrives as it will.' Something worries them about that.

I think this is why mindfulness is so important because you're waiting for 'the thing' to happen through meditation or spontaneity that until it does you'll be consciously living with care.
"

Just watch, without waiting.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135858
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Feb.14.2012
05:22AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "The spirit of meditation is 'Watch, it will come.' But if you tell that to a non-meditator they'll think otherwise because they just don't have any sense in the notion 'It arrives as it will.' Something worries them about that.

"

"

To sit is neither to watch nor wait, nor anything at all.  Motionless, silent, blank.

To meditate is to focus on one thing, watch, and wait for an answer from your Self.

Or so I believe at the present time.  Just sayin....

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135861
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from en-Joy
Feb.14.2012
03:28PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Quote: "The spirit of meditation is 'Watch, it will come.' But if you tell that to a non-meditator they'll think otherwise because they just don't have any sense in the notion 'It arrives as it will.' Something worries them about that.

"

"

To sit is neither to watch nor wait, nor anything at all.  Motionless, silent, blank.

To meditate is to focus on one thing, watch, and wait for an answer from your Self.

Or so I believe at the present time.  Just sayin....

"

Just leave your belief there.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135868
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from drawfd
Feb.14.2012
09:07PM EDT 
Email drawfd
vertical line Hello,

I really enjoyed your post.  I enjoyed it so much that I just made a membership with the forum.  I am new on here. 

I just wanted to say that I always wondered about that with depression.  I read other articles and things online on how abuse really can contribute too it.  Sadly, I was verbally abused as a kid and growing up.  I really do feel your pains.  and unfortunately, I have to take depression medicine.  It was very  severe... it really is the worst feeling in the world. It's something that thoughts can not control it.. it really is out of a person's control.

But, however, life is the best its been now!!   I have been having such a breakthru with zen and understanding.  Life has been like a rebirth.  and I understand meditation so much more.

I am lucky I can enter these states like while driving when completely no thoughts raise up.  Its such an amazing feeling, the best in the world.  I hope to talk more with u about it and others on here.  its been such a hard path but im starting to grasp the inner peace and pure bliss of it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135874
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Feb.15.2012
10:37AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line nice, 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135879
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from suchness`
Feb.15.2012
01:37PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Hello,

I really enjoyed your post.  I enjoyed it so much that I just made a membership with the forum.  I am new on here. 

I just wanted to say that I always wondered about that with depression.  I read other articles and things online on how abuse really can contribute too it.  Sadly, I was verbally abused as a kid and growing up.  I really do feel your pains.  and unfortunately, I have to take depression medicine.  It was very  severe... it really is the worst feeling in the world. It's something that thoughts can not control it.. it really is out of a person's control.

But, however, life is the best its been now!!   I have been having such a breakthru with zen and understanding.  Life has been like a rebirth.  and I understand meditation so much more.

I am lucky I can enter these states like while driving when completely no thoughts raise up.  Its such an amazing feeling, the best in the world.  I hope to talk more with u about it and others on here.  its been such a hard path but im starting to grasp the inner peace and pure bliss of it.
"
welcome...

having shared some of that same verbal abuse as a young person from parenting, it can be a very emotional life drama. it  seems, just to be aware of this is a lot of help, the harder part seems to not hold blame and understanding the abusers were doing the best they could with what was given them from their parenting. so moving from victim hood to ownership, owning it ourselves in the present and not looking back to keep the past drama alive, really helps psychologically. meditation-sitting (same and different) could possibly help to soften said depression to non medicated. studying zazen on this site, and other zazen practices from various teachers might be of great help. this site seems to be centered around what Chon Tri has to offer from a Vietnamese practice, while someone like Suzuki offers a Japanese practice, and others. good luck!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135884
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from drawfd
Feb.19.2012
01:12AM EDT 
Email drawfd
vertical line yeah, that is soooo true!!  u said it so perfect, that is such a great great truth about the present and understanding that.

just to own up to the past and understand that.  that really is true liberation to allow the past to be and just to live in the moment.  that is something I realized in myself is how much past hostility and drama and just thoughts of the past abuse I identified with.  It really fueled my "ego" in a way.  And just overall changed my perception on things.

Have you read "The power of now"?  It changed my life... the first time to truly understand and to truly just observe my thoughts!  it really sums up the mentality of zen.  but it was such a break thru for me.. it was just like the first time to truly realize how much I identified with my thoughts.... I am sooo happy now and just feel blissful levels of peace for brief moments a day.

thanks man for the insight and response.  I really like this forum
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135958
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Feb.19.2012
09:00AM EDT 
vertical line The past is bang up to date. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135966
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Feb.19.2012
09:39AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line i always totally forget my past. i give people time to change. most dont. but some do. i forgive my past and others past. all is relative though. interesting as well.

take don for example.....hahahahhhah. just joking.

take me for example......hmmmmmm.......my poop stinks too so. haha.

i told a woman today.....sometimes you can be a very sweet person.

i added the sometimes. then we talked about how moody she was in the morning. haha. at least she admits to it. haha.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135969
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from suchness`
Feb.19.2012
12:01PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "yeah, that is soooo true!!  u said it so perfect, that is such a great great truth about the present and understanding that.

just to own up to the past and understand that.  that really is true liberation to allow the past to be and just to live in the moment.  that is something I realized in myself is how much past hostility and drama and just thoughts of the past abuse I identified with.  It really fueled my "ego" in a way.  And just overall changed my perception on things.

Have you read "The power of now"?  It changed my life... the first time to truly understand and to truly just observe my thoughts!  it really sums up the mentality of zen.  but it was such a break thru for me.. it was just like the first time to truly realize how much I identified with my thoughts.... I am sooo happy now and just feel blissful levels of peace for brief moments a day.

thanks man for the insight and response.  I really like this forum
"
It seems past karmas, good and bad (perspective), can be inspiring, lesson and liberation driven. When it seems rather dark and overwhelming, if we can really go deep into that pain and embrace the wounds, accepting some responsibility without taking on self guilt and shame, there can be real healing there. It seems to help if we try to stay the middle road of what seems good or what seems bad, and not get caught up in the feelings we have arrived at, or not getting our hopes to high or low, keeping emotions and feeling checked at the door :), and just stay in the moment and witness, just observe self and other, just be with that, without the mind chatter (monkey mind), just be with our breath.

It could be said, in that light, the forum is what you/we make it, depending on our personal feelings and emotions of that day. It could look a little dark or rather bright, but by not getting caught up in choosing or judgement and just observing and going with that, it could tell us (the forum) more about where we are in that moment and some lesson there in not deciding if it is good or bad. No to high not to low, no expectations, with just observing 'our' take or our view that we are ‘projecting’ onto the site, and knowing it is about us and what we have projected in coming to some conclusion of good or bad, as it could be said, neither seems to be true, it just Is... no good, no bad; no high, no low.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135970
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Feb.19.2012
05:38PM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line can mindfulness be every NOW? or are we sentenced to past and future fantansies?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135975
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.19.2012
06:04PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Always now, in every breath. Breathe in the light of love, breathe out to rise above suffering.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135977
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from suchness`
Feb.19.2012
06:14PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Always now, in every breath. Breathe in the light of love, breathe out to rise above suffering. "
seemingly, in every breath with intention, is always now, breathing in the light of love and breathing out to rise above suffering.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135978
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.19.2012
06:48PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Light can even be heard. For within the now it is heard, in the chirp chirp of an outside bird.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135982
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from suchness`
Feb.19.2012
10:38PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Light can even be heard. For within the now it is heard, in the chirp chirp of an outside bird. "
the chirp chirp of this bird is done for now, it seems. not seen, not heard but never forgotten from this moment forward in the incessant presence of being. chirp chirp to you!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135985
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.19.2012
10:46PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line now it's dark out, beautiful clear sky with lots of beautiful stars, and the coyotes are howling,  they can see at night, stars too on paths of light
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135986
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Feb.19.2012
11:36PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line i'm gonna go howl while asleep, and be a star at night

my dogs will let me know if I'm any good, but hopefully not while I'm asleep

Woooff.... to bed
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 135987
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Feb.21.2012
08:06AM EDT 
vertical line Now, future, past, today, tomorrow and yesterday are different names for the same illusion.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from suchness`
Feb.21.2012
01:30PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Now, future, past, today, tomorrow and yesterday are different names for the same illusion."
is now, presence, an illusion?

are not past and future, now?

is there any where to have been or to have to go, to be here?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136083
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from redic002
Jan.25.2013
03:05AM EDT 
Email redic002
vertical line I have done a 4 wk course, for me it helped quite my mind but was less than useless for pain.

Sorry not more positive

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk...
[url=http://www.ascotbooks.com.au/mindfulness-meditation-audiobook-cd/index.php]mindfulness[/url]
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149379
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.25.2013
12:47PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line No, no difference between Zen and mindfulness
Every moment Zen ... mindfulness ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149383
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.26.2013
03:21AM EDT 
vertical line When you can stop thinking it is only mindfulness because when you are thinking you are always absent minded.

Thinking or your thoughts are nothing but memory of the past and imagination of the future where it is never reality. The moment thought is absent then there is the right moment the now which you can never think of. The Now is never your thoughts. The Now is the only reality which is beyond thoughts.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149395
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.26.2013
09:35AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line You need to stop and see reason.
You have confused stop thinking with wisdom.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149399
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.26.2013
04:49PM EDT 
vertical line Zen and Mindfullness are incredibly similar, except one is sitting and one is doing.  The experience is similar the obstacles differ.   Also keep in mind that the word mindfulness is becoming generic and washed out by social use.  The term is used in ways not used in the mental discipline taught in various Buddhist schools, and even among the schools themselves. 

Meditation has been a huge success in terms of alleviating symptoms of depression, yet this was not why I started meditation.  I do not advise listening to the formulated notions of people who have never suffered depression or have not had an education on the subject.  This entails educating yourself.  A pair of corrective lenses are never thought of as a weakness in human character, but depression often caries this taboo and the judgemental attitudes of those who have preconceived ideas.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149408
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jan.26.2013
07:29PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Because the Universe is Breath,
I am truly Alive.

Peace be with you _/\_
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149413
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.26.2013
07:49PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You need to stop and see reason.
"
"You need to stop and see reason."
-You are attached to the view point of another person here.
"You have confused stop thinking with wisdom."
-The ability to engage the mind of non-conceptual thought is part of the process of wisdom.  Yet from here thoughts are engaged by conscious will rather than by the tedium of momentum.  The difficulty arises by the attempt to stop thought and mental construct.  Thought, emotion, mental construct of all kind stem from a perspective or frame of reference. If you observe your emotions and your thoughts, they will lead you to the root frame of reference you cling to. And widen an opening to let them go.

To state that one must simply stop thinking is the same as telling a smoker to stop smoking. If  a person is mindful of smoking, and the cause/ effect momentum it induces, there is a greater chance of cessation.  I do not mean to suggest here that thought is to be revoked entirely.  When we learn to aquire or engage the non-linear experience of natural mind, this enhances our ability to think wisely, rather than to be ridden by our thoughts. 

So you see, Leoj is  correct and then, he is not.  It is this way with a great many things.  And this seems pradoxical only to a mind that can not accept duality as delusion. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149415
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.26.2013
08:47PM EDT 
vertical line So what will you tell an smoker if you want him to stop smoking.. tell him to stop smoking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149416
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.26.2013
08:48PM EDT 
vertical line It is the same thing when you want people to stop thinking.. tell them to stop thinking...lol.. what else.. tell it straight..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149417
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
12:09AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "So what will you tell an smoker if you want him to stop smoking.. tell him to stop smoking...lol

"

That is why you fail to convey our message. You do not tell a smoker to stop smoking. Instead yo suggest they smoke mindfully.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149421
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
12:17AM EDT 
vertical line You can not just stop thinking. This is very much a concept for you. If it were not, you would know this. You are very in love with this concept, but that is okay, eventually you will let it go, it is inevitable. Most people re not going to bother telling you this. Let the mad hatter be. Eventually you will see if you practice. Oh and it took me almost ten years to break though this ego pedestal so I get it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149422
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.27.2013
02:32AM EDT 
vertical line I think that is what I call very hard headed...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149424
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
04:53AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I think that is what I call very hard headed...lol

"
......... yes a Very hard head! :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149426
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jan.27.2013
05:16AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You can not just stop thinking. This is very much a concept for you. If it were not, you would know this. You are very in love with this concept, but that is okay, eventually you will let it go, it is inevitable. Most people re not going to bother telling you this. Let the mad hatter be. Eventually you will see if you practice. Oh and it took me almost ten years to break though this ego pedestal so I get it. "

Why can't you just stop thinking?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149430
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jan.27.2013
07:52AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

to sit_teh

sit_teh, you sound like you have some wisdom.

What is the importance of us for you?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149433
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.27.2013
10:17AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "You need to stop and see reason.
"
"You need to stop and see reason."
-You are attached to the view point of another person here.
"You have confused stop thinking with wisdom."
-The ability to engage the mind of non-conceptual thought is part of the process of wisdom.  Yet from here thoughts are engaged by conscious will rather than by the tedium of momentum.  The difficulty arises by the attempt to stop thought and mental construct.  Thought, emotion, mental construct of all kind stem from a perspective or frame of reference. If you observe your emotions and your thoughts, they will lead you to the root frame of reference you cling to. And widen an opening to let them go.

To state that one must simply stop thinking is the same as telling a smoker to stop smoking. If  a person is mindful of smoking, and the cause/ effect momentum it induces, there is a greater chance of cessation.  I do not mean to suggest here that thought is to be revoked entirely.  When we learn to aquire or engage the non-linear experience of natural mind, this enhances our ability to think wisely, rather than to be ridden by our thoughts. 

So you see, Leoj is  correct and then, he is not.  It is this way with a great many things.  And this seems pradoxical only to a mind that can not accept duality as delusion. 

"
Please don't take my words out of context or the spirit of the intent of which they were written.
Thanks for the clarification of Leo's words. However, I doubt if he understood the truth and paradox.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149434
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.27.2013
10:25AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "You can not just stop thinking. This is very much a concept for you. If it were not, you would know this. You are very in love with this concept, but that is okay, eventually you will let it go, it is inevitable. Most people re not going to bother telling you this. Let the mad hatter be. Eventually you will see if you practice. Oh and it took me almost ten years to break though this ego pedestal so I get it. "

"

Try and you will see why.
The effects of which perpetuate this illusion
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149435
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
02:51PM EDT 
vertical line Avisitor I am honesty and sincerely sharing your words as my frame of reference has interpreted them. This is not a willful alteration of your meaning. It is difficult to find the nonadherent perspective, yet if I am willing to engage my attachment diretly it can and does isolate where and what exactly my ego is trying to stand on today. No harm is meant and I greatly appreciate your indulgence. Leoj is one of my favorite agitators of my ego. My ego hides safely under the sand and then Leoj says something and voila, I see it move! Its like mowing the yard and when you turn around five new weeds have sprung up, and a cartoon look of discouragement appears on my face as I once again, continue to practice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149438
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jan.27.2013
04:18PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Quote: "

to sit_teh

sit_teh, you sound like you have some wisdom.

What is the importance of us for you?

"

We all have something in common, call it meditation or awareness. Nothing special, I'm kind of a shut in because of my anxiety. The forum is a kind of "meditation room" to me. I like the Good talks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149439
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.27.2013
06:25PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Avisitor I am honesty and sincerely sharing your words as my frame of reference has interpreted them. This is not a willful alteration of your meaning. It is difficult to find the nonadherent perspective, yet if I am willing to engage my attachment diretly it can and does isolate where and what exactly my ego is trying to stand on today. No harm is meant and I greatly appreciate your indulgence. Leoj is one of my favorite agitators of my ego. My ego hides safely under the sand and then Leoj says something and voila, I see it move! Its like mowing the yard and when you turn around five new weeds have sprung up, and a cartoon look of discouragement appears on my face as I once again, continue to practice."

I appreciate your wisdom and ability to shed light upon posts written here with your frame of reference.
However, the context and spirit of the words are its own frame of reference too.
Remember that words are to be said in the manner that can be understood by those listening to them.
Joshua in answering Mu to the question of whether a dog has Buddha nature ....
We need to understand the right answer and why his answer is correct also ....
Not to just correct Joshua answer. Also, it presents a Koan in learning ...
like that of the one hand clap ...

Now after having written so much about this, I am truly regretting having said anything.
And yes, my frame of reference is also subject to having a disclaimer of being corrected when my frame of reference changes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149440
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.27.2013
06:33PM EDT 
vertical line Yeah you'd better keep quiet until you have really solved Mu..lol ... tasted Mu... imbibed Mu...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149442
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.27.2013
06:38PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Yeah you'd better keep quiet until you have really solved Mu..lol ... tasted Mu... imbibed Mu...lol "

Aren't you the one who said you can't help others unless you can help yourself????
Please show me Mu  .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149446
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jan.27.2013
07:45PM EDT 
vertical line I tasted Mu once . . . once
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149457
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
08:33PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I tasted Mu once . . . once

"

Mu GU Gai Pan?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149461
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jan.27.2013
08:55PM EDT 
vertical line Pooh.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149464
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.27.2013
09:02PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Pooh.

"

Hmmm...I have never had Pooh Too!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jan.28.2013
12:40AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "You can not just stop thinking. This is very much a concept for you. If it were not, you would know this. You are very in love with this concept, but that is okay, eventually you will let it go, it is inevitable. Most people re not going to bother telling you this. Let the mad hatter be. Eventually you will see if you practice. Oh and it took me almost ten years to break though this ego pedestal so I get it. "

"

"

I was asking Riverstone why someone can't just stop thinking. But you seem to think that too. I don't have a problem with stopping thinking, so I don't see why. When I think, I think. When I don't, I don't. When not thinking, I just see, without any "why". So, what keeps you from stopping thinking?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149479
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.28.2013
02:31AM EDT 
vertical line I can stop thinking too.....yet thinking happens eventually...and this is okay....

When I try to do art work it is contrived. When I let go to the process it is natural. There is contrived not thinking, and there is not thinking which occurs as all things settle, like muddy water which stands and is then clear as the mud settles. The slightest movement can disturb the mud and this is okay, just be still again.

What is impossible is to command not thinking to occur and when not thinking occurs, to expect it to be everlasting. Thinking itself is not the problem, it is only a symptom of a frame of reference. When the clarity occurs one can see the frame of reference responsible for all these thoughts. Beyond the frame of reference is enlightenment. The nonlinear, natural mind that feeds wisdom to the linear, thinking mind, rather than blindly reacting t an adopted intractable frame of reference. So the enlightened mind uses thought rather than be used by thought. It is all a process, not a sustained lack of thinking.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149484
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.28.2013
02:37AM EDT 
vertical line Leoj seems to herald an idea of a mind which never thinks, ever and that this is enlightenment. I reject this as a conceptual idea born in duality. The non thinking mind and the thinking mind shake hands, they are not in battle. Yin and Yang.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.28.2013
02:54AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I can stop thinking too.....yet thinking happens eventually...and this is okay....

When I try to do art work it is contrived. When I let go to the process it is natural. There is contrived not thinking, and there is not thinking which occurs as all things settle, like muddy water which stands and is then clear as the mud settles. The slightest movement can disturb the mud and this is okay, just be still again.

What is impossible is to command not thinking to occur and when not thinking occurs, to expect it to be everlasting. Thinking itself is not the problem, it is only a symptom of a frame of reference. When the clarity occurs one can see the frame of reference responsible for all these thoughts. Beyond the frame of reference is enlightenment. The nonlinear, natural mind that feeds wisdom to the linear, thinking mind, rather than blindly reacting t an adopted intractable frame of reference. So the enlightened mind uses thought rather than be used by thought. It is all a process, not a sustained lack of thinking.
"

Technically nothing is impossible, only more or less improbable. Language is limited and saying anything is impossible is standing on a ground of being so please ignore that distraction and try to hear that I am describing a process rather than absolute states.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149489
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.28.2013
03:49AM EDT 
vertical line Oh and just to clarify all this talk is not Zen. Not what I say or anyone says. It is all the finger pointing at the moon. Zen is in the seat of meditation and the action of mind fullness. Of which if you do neither, all your experience of such are simply a collection of ideas, uninformed ideas.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.28.2013
08:51AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "You can not just stop thinking. This is very much a concept for you. If it were not, you would know this. You are very in love with this concept, but that is okay, eventually you will let it go, it is inevitable. Most people re not going to bother telling you this. Let the mad hatter be. Eventually you will see if you practice. Oh and it took me almost ten years to break though this ego pedestal so I get it. "

"

"

I was asking Riverstone why someone can't just stop thinking. But you seem to think that too. I don't have a problem with stopping thinking, so I don't see why. When I think, I think. When I don't, I don't. When not thinking, I just see, without any "why". So, what keeps you from stopping thinking?
"

Are you actually stopping thoughts from occurring??
Or are you just stopping the words??
Thought existed before language
Its impetus comes from a much deeper place than this ordinary frame.
So, just stopping words from forming doesn't stop thoughts
and enlightenment isn't stopping words

But, you are the master of your world and so it is written ... so shall it be ...
you are what you claim .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149494
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jan.28.2013
01:41PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I can stop thinking too....."

I was thinking you might try starting, if you know what I mean.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149510
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA (DETAIL)
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s