history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 30 2014 05:56PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk came to say good bye to Ch'an master Niaowo (Bird's Nest). He said:
-Thank you, Sir, for everything you've done for me. Now I got to go.
Niaowo asked:
-Where will you go?
-Any place where I can learn Buddha dharmas.
-Of... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: A ZEN TATTOO
vertical line Posted on Mar.02.2012 @ 10:51PM EDT by aStudent
I've reached a breakthrough of sorts in my practice, and I finally am sure that Zen is the true way, or at least one true way. I want to mark my body with a symbol representing this realization. Does anyone have some suggestions for a fitting tattoo? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Be well, friends.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email aStudent
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Anatta
Mar.03.2012
03:27AM EDT 
vertical line You want to mark your body with a symbol? For what? Why don't you buy some paint and go mark a rock or something? It's just as good, lasts longer (relatively speaking), and if you mess up there are always more rocks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136464
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Mar.03.2012
05:24AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line twin dragons on the inside of your arms. haha. oh nm thats what im getting someday.

hmmm.....a symbol of yin and yang.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136465
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.03.2012
07:10AM EDT 
vertical line $$
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from RossaDassa
Mar.03.2012
08:34AM EDT 
Email RossaDassa
vertical line get an enso
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.03.2012
09:03AM EDT 
vertical line Kerching!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136474
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Mar.03.2012
09:34AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "You want to mark your body with a symbol? For what? Why don't you buy some paint and go mark a rock or something? It's just as good, lasts longer (relatively speaking), and if you mess up there are always more rocks. "

lol :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136478
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.03.2012
10:50AM EDT 
vertical line Get a mother.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aStudent
Mar.03.2012
09:34PM EDT 
Email aStudent
vertical line I gather that most of you have never gotten a tattoo, so I guess you wouldn't really understand. It's about making a permanent, visible change to yourself, usually to signify some change or emotion. People from all religions do it, and Buddhist sects in particular have an affinity for the practice. Their traditional methods of inking the skin are fairly well know among body artists.

Thank you, to whoever recommended the Enso. I love the imagery, and that's probably what I'll go with. Have a pleasant evening everyone.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zadokk
Mar.03.2012
09:46PM EDT 
Email zadokk
vertical line What if you change again, and your tattoo becomes irrelevant to your new change? You'll be stuck with a memory of a previous phase. I feel like a tattoo limits one's growth potential..that's just me though. :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136492
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Mar.03.2012
10:44PM EDT 
vertical line Naaahh, go for something that has an impact, not some wossy Calvin’n Hobbs  tattoo. Like, the something gangsta snake-like running up the neck, that is kinda cool. But it would be little "zenny" thou since trying to impress a badass ego on the world. And the ying/yang symbol, naaah, like, hey, look at me, I`m a hippie-buddhist-someone or something.

You need this tattoo to make a statement!

“Like, see, I don`t give a damn, I`m free. I have no attachments to any silly mental barriers, symbolism, or how I look. Nor do I hold any regard for political correctness and society’s hypocritical hysteria.”

That is what you`re tattoo oughta convey!

I say, maybe go for this swastika on you`re forehead, preferably carved with a knife! Or maybe a maoistik warrior tattoo covering half your face, that be awesome! Or maybe just covering you`re face and body with some tasteless but very hardcore and explicit imagery!  

The possibilities are limitless, just don`t go for some boring small ying yang on your shoulder, ok?!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136493
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aStudent
Mar.04.2012
03:19AM EDT 
Email aStudent
vertical line Quote: "Naaahh, go for something that has an impact, not some wossy Calvin’n Hobbs  tattoo. Like, the something gangsta snake-like running up the neck, that is kinda cool. But it would be little "zenny" thou since trying to impress a badass ego on the world. And the ying/yang symbol, naaah, like, hey, look at me, I`m a hippie-buddhist-someone or something.

“Like, see, I don`t give a damn, I`m free. I have no attachments to any silly mental barriers, symbolism, or how I look. Nor do I hold any regard for political correctness and society’s hypocritical hysteria.”

I say, maybe go for this swastika on you`re forehead, preferably carved with a knife! Or maybe a maoistik warrior tattoo covering half your face, that be awesome! Or maybe just covering you`re face and body with some tasteless but very hardcore and explicit imagery!  

The possibilities are limitless, just don`t go for some boring small ying yang on your shoulder, ok?!

"

Right, I guess I've come to the wrong place. My mistake. I'm sorry my post caused a disruption, I'll be leaving now. Best wishes to all of you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136496
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from JTollefson
Mar.04.2012
03:49AM EDT 
Email JTollefson
vertical line A tattoo represents an opposite understanding of zen. You want to mark yourself "permanently" but there is no such thing as something being permanent. If you tattoo yourself, and then your understanding grows, you will forever have a different view of your tattoo.

It is just like declaring you are a peaceful person, and then beating up the first person who doesn't agree with you. ;)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136497
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Mar.04.2012
04:08AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line haha he thinks your nuts nibbler. haha.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136498
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
06:37AM EDT 
vertical line Brain tats
And body toots
Heart rites
And altar fruits
Burial sites
And write wights
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136501
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
06:56AM EDT 
vertical line You're a living sign.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136504
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Mar.04.2012
07:03AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I gather that most of you have never gotten a tattoo, so I guess you wouldn't really understand. It's about making a permanent, visible change to yourself, usually to signify some change or emotion. People from all religions do it, and Buddhist sects in particular have an affinity for the practice. Their traditional methods of inking the skin are fairly well know among body artists.

Thank you, to whoever recommended the Enso. I love the imagery, and that's probably what I'll go with. Have a pleasant evening everyone.
"

I got a tatoo in 1972, and I've wanted rid of it since 1973. 

Temporary tatoos are okay.  They look just as good, and they wash off.

Remember, only change is permanent. 

I dont know about religions, but tatoos dont seem to go with Zen philosophy.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136505
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
07:32AM EDT 
vertical line Permanent tattoos are ok.
Permanent tattoos are temporary.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136511
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
08:22AM EDT 
vertical line EE-I-EE-I-Adios and a long farewell to thee.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136514
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
08:32AM EDT 
vertical line sun beat rhythm
tattoo you
lub dub
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136515
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Mar.04.2012
08:38AM EDT 
vertical line Pow Wow - a zen tattoo.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136517
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Mar.04.2012
08:25PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Naaahh, go for something that has an impact, not some wossy Calvin’n Hobbs  tattoo. Like, the something gangsta snake-like running up the neck, that is kinda cool. But it would be little "zenny" thou since trying to impress a badass ego on the world. And the ying/yang symbol, naaah, like, hey, look at me, I`m a hippie-buddhist-someone or something.

"

Right, I guess I've come to the wrong place. My mistake. I'm sorry my post caused a disruption, I'll be leaving now. Best wishes to all of you.
"

If you come back around I wouldn't worry about the Dissention (i swear that's spelled correctly )overmuch. Most here seem easy going enough. And I doubt any actually care whether or not you choose to embed ink your skin.

I liked your tattoo Joe. It made me laugh. That's where my mind went when a read "a zen tattoo" as the topic heading too.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 136538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.13.2012
11:57AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line A student comes here for support and finds none to his liking.
Avisitor comes here to learn and finds the zoo is full already.
What a lovely place to visit??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138780
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jun.13.2012
01:32PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "A student comes here for support and finds none to his liking.
Avisitor comes here to learn and finds the zoo is full already.
What a lovely place to visit??
"

**sigh** 

A forum can have two purposes.  A forum can be a meeting place for like minded people who reiterate what they all want to hear.  This is very comforting.  The phenomenon is called "confirmation bias".  You look for what you want to here, and when you find it you keep listening because it is what you want to hear. 

Else a forum can be a meeting place for people with differing mindsets who argue amongst themselves.  Indeed this is closer to the original meaning of the word when it was a space for political argumentation.  I find the latter more interesting, there is more to learn when talking with people who disagree with you on fundamental levels.  I do not believe any of us in here agree on everything, and many of us disagree on really basic levels.  The sorts of levels that have caused wars in history.  But disareeing isn't bad.  Not only do you learn from those who disagree with you, if you are willing to be receptive, but also you learn how to shore up your own ideas.  You find your assumptions and biases and work through them because they are the weakpoints in your own argument that others pick apart. 

Its like peer editing in school.  Yes, what you think and produced is picked apart, and that is hard to watch, but the goal is to create something better.   Starduster, Shayne, and Woodsman have all responded to you and your questions.  They all are trying to help you learn.  We might not agree with you, but were not your enemies.  We are trying to help you. 

There is not a single set of answers.  I'm not sure there IS an answer.  But I am quite confident it cannot be boiled down to a single formula.  Life, reality, is subjective and subject to change so any law must contain its own exception.  If you want any advice from me, if anyone ever comes up to you and says "here is the answer" run far away for the way can never be found upon that path. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138784
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.13.2012
02:14PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line To be beaten or scolded by a Zen master is to be honored by their teachings
I am happy here ... maybe a little bruise by your words ...
But, still here
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138786
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.14.2012
04:56AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I gather that most of you have never gotten a tattoo, so I guess you wouldn't really understand. It's about making a permanent, visible change to yourself, usually to signify some change or emotion. People from all religions do it, and Buddhist sects in particular have an affinity for the practice. Their traditional methods of inking the skin are fairly well know among body artists.

"

I got a tatoo when I joined the Navy in 1972.  Ive wanted to get it removed since 1973.

The novelty wore off a long time ago.  The tatoo is still around.

Its on my right upper arm, a *smiling sun*.  I remember thinking, at 18 when I got it, *at least this way, no matter what happens in my life, I will always be wearing a smile*.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138810
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION II (SILVER FOIL STAMPED & EMBOSSED)
by Chris Paschke
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s
i