history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Oct 01 2014 08:22PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Yamaoka Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one
master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: "The mind,
Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist.
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: HOW TO QUIT SMOKING
vertical line Posted on Apr.08.2012 @ 06:06AM EDT by starduster

I quit smoking 15 years ago in May.  It took a long time to learn how, but it is really easy, it just takes time.  I agree about the addictive gene idea.  90% of people are addictive, according to research done about smoking.

The slower you stop doing something addictive the more sure the process, and the less likely the recidivism (going back to it).  It took me 3 1/2 years to quit smoking, but I smoked 3 to 4 packs per day, and now I do not have any urges even when others smoke around me.  I am back to being a non-smoker, just like before I started.

The most important thing I learned about smoking is that nicotine is not a drug.  That's why the tobacco companies can say it is not addictive.  It is a poison.  When your body experiences smoke and poison it reacts by producing drugs in the brain to keep you from panicking.  Smoking triggers a survival responose, fooling your body into reacting to danger when there is none.  Smokers are addicted to drugs of their own making, which make them feel calm and relaxed, and increase their ability to think rationally.

The thing to do is to wean off smoking, without hurrying.  Slow but sure.  My method takes 20 months, but if you have been smoking for years that is not too much time to take to cure the habit.  And you get to keep smoking for quite a while this way too, while you are quitting.

You start with a ration of 20 cigs per day, which in the US is one pack.  Thats how many you get per day the first month.  You get your ration at 6am in the morning, so no point in waiting up until midnight to start on tomorrows ration.  Smoke them as fast as you want, and if you have any left over you can have them tomorrow, or save them for the weekend.  You dont ever lose them once you have them.  They are yours.

The next month you get a ration of 19 cigs per day, and then 18 the month after that, etc, until the month when you get 0, nada, zip.  I got down to where I was having two cigs with my morning coffee and that was it for the day.  I found I was having to force myself to smoke my two cigs because they really didnt taste good anymore.  So I said a prayer, asking the Spirit to take away my desire to smoke, and put the rest in the medicine cabinet. 

They are still there.  Pretty stale by now, I'm sure.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.08.2012
02:31PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Words take smokes place and fill the urge to give more than take or make a waste of time that damages the core of breath that takes whatever we give, or have been given as truth which is a dangerous lie of consumption.

The tobacco plant is a gift or way to see the light without smoke.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137200
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Apr.09.2012
05:27AM EDT 
vertical line

When I started smoking, back in the late 60s,

cigs were 35 cents a pack, and gas was 35 cents a gallon.

Times have sure changed. 

Cigs are $8.00 a pack, and gas is $4.00 a gallon.

A single cig now costs more than I used to pay for a whole pack.

Thats reason enough to quit.

Now if I could only quit gas.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137211
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zen-zen
Apr.09.2012
05:27PM EDT 
vertical line Quit is a verb that describes doing something. If cigarettes is the problem then it is enough simply cease to smoke. To quit really means the opposite of doing. It is the ceasing of habit that is required.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137217
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Apr.09.2012
07:51PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Seeing the damage and harm to peoples lives caused by smoking needs to be on tv commercials. Marlboro man, dies of COPD, and this is why he suffered so - he was bribed to smoke cigarettes as a means to consume smoke poison for cash (pocket poison).. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137218
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Apr.09.2012
08:28PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "Seeing the damage and harm to peoples lives caused by smoking needs to be on tv commercials. Marlboro man, dies of COPD, and this is why he suffered so - he was bribed to smoke cigarettes as a means to consume smoke poison for cash (pocket poison)..  "
We have those commercials here Woods, we also have the horific crashes commercials and the drunken ones. All of these are graphic in nature and feature distressed parents and friends. There is one at moment where a son is talking about how his father just wanted to see his grandchild before he died, unfortunately then there is the scene where the father tells the son he is not going to make it and dies.

On cigarette packets here they have pictures of lungs with cancer, pictures of eyes with blindness, pictures of damaged hardened arteries, Oh there are still a lot of people who smoke but all cigarette packets now have these graphic pictures on them. Also cigarettes are hidden in the shops (by law) and you only see them when u ask.

It was not a decision of care to do this, it is simple economics it cost the tax payer a lot more for health care for smokers then the government makes on the tax from ciggys.

Also here you are not allowed to smoke in bars, or public places, Stations, airports, it is illegal. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137219
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Apr.09.2012
08:29PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line when i went to Thailand and smelled smoke in the hotel first thing in the morning i was surprised (i had never experienced this) . 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137220
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Apr.10.2012
04:53AM EDT 
vertical line

One of the advantages of quitting smoking slowly is that I am not bothered by smoke.  People who quit fast often take on an anti-smoking thing, aka stimuli avoidance.  I dont care about cigs one way or the other.  They are nothing to me.  Im a non-smoker.

I dont need any logical arguments against smoking. 

There are no logical arguments for smoking.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137225
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Apr.10.2012
12:31PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line I say to people  you dont mind if i fart while you smoke do you? 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137235
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Caine108
Apr.15.2012
11:58AM EDT 
vertical line I thought I'd share my experience with quitting. I smoked ten years plus, at the end of which time I was chain smoking (almost the only time I wasn't smoking was when I was asleep). Finally about 6 years ago I decided to quit. It took me about two weeks. I used The Patch to help me, but to be honest I don't know how much difference it made. What REALLY helped me, though, was that me and two other friends all quit at the same time. That mutual support was, for me, the most helpful thing.One of the guys later relapsed, but I remember very well my last cigarette. I lit up, and had the bare, stark realization that this was the last cigarette I would ever smoke, for the remainder of my incarnation. And now I'm back to being a non-smoker, as if it never happened. Letting go means returning to the time before the beginning.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137370
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Apr.16.2012
08:27AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I thought I'd share my experience with quitting. I smoked ten years plus, at the end of which time I was chain smoking (almost the only time I wasn't smoking was when I was asleep). Finally about 6 years ago I decided to quit. It took me about two weeks. I used The Patch to help me, but to be honest I don't know how much difference it made. What REALLY helped me, though, was that me and two other friends all quit at the same time. That mutual support was, for me, the most helpful thing.One of the guys later relapsed, but I remember very well my last cigarette. I lit up, and had the bare, stark realization that this was the last cigarette I would ever smoke, for the remainder of my incarnation. And now I'm back to being a non-smoker, as if it never happened. Letting go means returning to the time before the beginning."

That was my goal too.

Not just to quit, but to get back to being a non-smoker again, just like I was before I started smoking.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137380
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.16.2012
11:14AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line What made you all start smoking? Was there a day where you just woke up addicted or was it more gradual, a point in time where you smoked but were not a smoker? If the former how did it feel to suddenly be dependent, did you resist? If the latter what caused you to keep smoking through the hybrid state until you were a smoker?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137386
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Apr.16.2012
06:22PM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line While a zen retreat with Zen Master Bon Yo in Gdansk I saw her smoking. When I visited Paris Zen Centre I saw her smoking...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137390
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.16.2012
07:53PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line What do you feel about that?

Also, I would love to go to either of those places...I've never been more than fifty miles from where I was born. I have heard the planes of Poland are quite beautiful.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137391
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Apr.18.2012
05:31AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "What made you all start smoking? Was there a day where you just woke up addicted or was it more gradual, a point in time where you smoked but were not a smoker? If the former how did it feel to suddenly be dependent, did you resist? If the latter what caused you to keep smoking through the hybrid state until you were a smoker? "

My older brother dared me to take a puff.  I did, then he said I did it wrong because I wasnt inhaling.  He instructed me to fill my mouth with smoke, and then take a deep breath.

Then he laughed his ass off as I lay wheezing and coughing on the floor.  I believe I was fifteen at the time.  I didnt take up smoking cigs immeditately, but soon after that I started smoking pot, and then smoking cigs came naturally after inhalling pot smoke. 

So it is true that pot leads to harder stuff.  I dont smoke pot anymore either, but probably will again some day, when Im retired and dont have anything better to do.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137407
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Apr.18.2012
06:03AM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line Poland has many forests and plains and a ticet from 1 city to another by plane is e20 altogether. The most beautiful zen centre is in Warsaw(24 Malowiejska Street). The office there is open on Tues and Fris 10GMT-12GMT. The girl answering can speak English very well. They also have a solo-retreat cottage(about e50 per week) and there are about 5 residents and the place is for 20(2 buildings, stupa, forests, large Dharma Hall).

Quote:
"What do you feel about that?

Also, I would love to go to either of those places...I've never been more than fifty miles from where I was born. I have heard the planes of Poland are quite beautiful.

"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137414
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nowornever
Apr.18.2012
06:31AM EDT 
Email nowornever
vertical line

Office of Kwan Um in Poland

Tue and Fri 10GMT-12GMT
ul.Malowiejska 22/24
04-962 Warszawa
tel/fax: 00 48 (22) 872 05 52
email: kwanum@zen.pl

Temple
ul.Malowiejska 22/24
04-962 Warszawa
tel. (22) 612 72 23 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (22) 612 72 23      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
email: kwanum@remove-this.zen.pl

Webmaster of zen.pl :Piotr Iwanicki
email: xiwanx@remove-this.gmail.com

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137415
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Apr.18.2012
09:32AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line the desire and yearning for tabacco is you at the deepest level.
acknowledge it and yearn not for quitting but for control of one's self.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 137416
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.13.2012
12:06PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I smoked cigarettes for about thirty years.
I have taken a break from smoking my last cigarette
It has been 8 years since ... I still want to have a cigarette
And there are nights when I dream of smoking

I don't know if I've quit smoking ...
Only that I have taken a break from it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138782
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.14.2012
05:04AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I smoked cigarettes for about thirty years.
I have taken a break from smoking my last cigarette
It has been 8 years since ... I still want to have a cigarette
And there are nights when I dream of smoking

I don't know if I've quit smoking ...
Only that I have taken a break from it.
"

I can understand.  I too sometimes smoke in dreams, without giving it a second thought.

When I *stopped* smoking 15 years ago it was with the thought that I was stopping, not quitting, and I put the pack and a half that I had left in the medicine cabinet so I wouldnt suffer the anxiety of being out of cigs.  They are still there.

But since I stopped very slowly, I dont have cravings for cigs.  Actually, thinking about having one makes me cringe with disgust.  By the time I stopped, I was down to 2 cigs a day with my morning coffee, and they were tasting bad.  So my last memories of smoking are not good ones, but of having to make myself smoke my allowance of cigs for the day.

Thats one of the reasons that quitting slowly works better, aside from that it is less of a shock to your body and mind.  My memory of cigs is bad rather than good.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138811
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.15.2012
03:12AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I don't see smoking cigarettes as an inconsistency of enlightenment
Meaning that some think that enlightenment would bring out this person who is perfect in every way.
I don't know for sure ... Am I wrong?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138847
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION I (SILVER FOIL STAMPED & EMBOSSED)
by Chris Paschke
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s
i