history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 30 2014 12:43PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk came to say good bye to Ch'an master Niaowo (Bird's Nest). He said:
-Thank you, Sir, for everything you've done for me. Now I got to go.
Niaowo asked:
-Where will you go?
-Any place where I can learn Buddha dharmas.
-Of... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: QUESTION ON SLEEP.
vertical line Posted on May.31.2012 @ 09:43AM EDT by shayne

heres a question i want to pose.

does the attention broaden and we slumber off to sleep?

or what?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email shayne
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
May.31.2012
11:45AM EDT 
vertical line Seen this movie?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138455
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jun.01.2012
11:44PM EDT 
vertical line

As we fall asleep, or wake up, we pass through an Alpha state into a Delta state, and back again from Delta though Alpha to a waking state.

Hypnosis, meditation, and sitting, are deliberate entries into a self-induced Alpha state. 

Once, in the Navy, I was sent to the Sleep Clinic to find out why I was oversleeping.  I was given an EEG.  I put myself into hypnosis before the test began.  The report said, *There is an unusual Alpha pattern.  More study is recommended.*

That was sufficient to keep me out of trouble for coming to work late, which I did routinely thereafter.  But then I did a lot of extra things that kept my marks up, 3.8.  My boss did say I would have otherwise gotten 4.0 evaluations.  No big deal.  I grew up and got plenty of 4.0s later.

Actually, I was just drinking too much coffee late at night, and having trouble getting to sleep.  Then it was hard to get up in the morning.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jun.04.2012
09:18PM EDT 
vertical line Starlight starbright, sleep tight this night!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 138542
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.16.2012
04:02PM EDT 
vertical line I have had the experience of mindfulness extending into sleep.  That is not my experience now, I have only just begun meditation and mindfulness practice again.  So anything further I could say on the subject would be conceptual. It is enough to simply continue doing mindfulness, at all times.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.16.2012
04:32PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Because I have no Job...12 hours of sleep is good. Because I'm unoccupied 12 hours of the day...attention is meditation. Because of this...Accepting what is as it is becomes Thus. Thinking the unthinkable therefore I am here. AH.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139470
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.16.2012
05:28PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line no one answered the question.

shesh.

seems no one knows?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.16.2012
05:40PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line Quote: "

As we fall asleep, or wake up, we pass through an Alpha state into a Delta state, and back again from Delta though Alpha to a waking state.

Hypnosis, meditation, and sitting, are deliberate entries into a self-induced Alpha state. 

Once, in the Navy, I was sent to the Sleep Clinic to find out why I was oversleeping.  I was given an EEG.  I put myself into hypnosis before the test began.  The report said, *There is an unusual Alpha pattern.  More study is recommended.*

That was sufficient to keep me out of trouble for coming to work late, which I did routinely thereafter.  But then I did a lot of extra things that kept my marks up, 3.8.  My boss did say I would have otherwise gotten 4.0 evaluations.  No big deal.  I grew up and got plenty of 4.0s later.

Actually, I was just drinking too much coffee late at night, and having trouble getting to sleep.  Then it was hard to get up in the morning.

"

i more then understand this. read enough about it.

answer the simple question please.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139475
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
05:45PM EDT 
vertical line Retain the energy of the question? Or what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139476
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.16.2012
05:54PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139477
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.16.2012
06:01PM EDT 
vertical line A simple question? A person could write an exhaustive report and write a book on this subject. I am no expert here but I believe you can find more information in The Tibetan Book of the Dead and A book about dream yoga by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. However these are not Zen. It is possible that I do not understand the question.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139478
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
06:54PM EDT 
vertical line I sleep in the moon.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139481
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.17.2012
06:46AM EDT 
vertical line

does the attention broaden and we slumber off to sleep?

or what? (Shayne)

What attention?  Whose attention?  The sleepers attention?

Id say yes.  When I sleep it is as if my logical left brain is shut down and my creative right brain can finally escape its tyranny for a while. (Typically I find that my *logical mind* is more of a dick than my penis, so it seems to be anatomically displaced).

The net effect is that in dreaming and visions I dont question everything half to death, needing everything to be clear and understood. 

I already seem to understand things better in dreaming or visions.  I often wake up with revelations about people and things that are useful to my logical left brain.  As soon as I wake up I try to review, memorize, and understand what Ive been dreaming.

I dont question things in dreams and visions, I just am where I am, doing what I am doing, without thinking about it.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139495
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.17.2012
10:09AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line I had a dream last night but can't remember what it was about. It's in the past.

But dreams validate our existence even while motionless in bed, as there is existence after death, as we exist before now and after.

See?

bing

Just heard the word "See" as I wrote it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139499
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.17.2012
01:09PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line "does the attention broaden and we slumber off to sleep?

or what? (Shayne)

Id say yes.  When I sleep it is as if my logical left brain is shut down and my creative right brain can finally escape its tyranny for a while. (Typically I find that my *logical mind* is more of a dick than my penis, so it seems to be anatomically displaced).

The net effect is that in dreaming and visions I dont question everything half to death, needing everything to be clear and understood.

I already seem to understand things better in dreaming or visions.  I often wake up with revelations about people and things that are useful to my logical left brain.  As soon as I wake up I try to review, memorize, and understand what Ive been dreaming.

I dont question things in dreams and visions, I just am where I am, doing what I am doing, without thinking about it."

That actually sounds nice.  Getting one side of the brain or the other to shut up for a while.  I don't think I have a favorite hemisphere, I just wish they wouldn't argue amongst themselves quite so often or so vindictively.  All of my dreams are hyper realistic.  I generally dream about what ever project I am working on, drawing or short story or forum post =^.^= .  It can lead to an almost constant feeling of deja vu.  Sometimes it's helpful for coming up with solutions to problems, but it rarely grants insights.  What techniques do you use for selective brain dampening?  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139509
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.17.2012
01:58PM EDT 
vertical line Soul gardening.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139521
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.18.2012
05:07AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: ""does the attention broaden and we slumber off to sleep?

or what? (Shayne)

Id say yes.  When I sleep it is as if my logical left brain is shut down and my creative right brain can finally escape its tyranny for a while. (Typically I find that my *logical mind* is more of a dick than my penis, so it seems to be anatomically displaced).

I dont question things in dreams and visions, I just am where I am, doing what I am doing, without thinking about it."

That actually sounds nice.  Getting one side of the brain or the other to shut up for a while.  I don't think I have a favorite hemisphere, I just wish they wouldn't argue amongst themselves quite so often or so vindictively.  All of my dreams are hyper realistic.  I generally dream about what ever project I am working on, drawing or short story or forum post =^.^= .  It can lead to an almost constant feeling of deja vu.  Sometimes it's helpful for coming up with solutions to problems, but it rarely grants insights.  What techniques do you use for selective brain dampening?  
"

I suspect left brain dampening with meditation because I know that in self-hypnosis the left side seems to shut down.

My ex wife used to insist that I go shopping with her.  One time I thought I would enter a self-hynotic trance, to relax and make the shopping trip more pleasurable.  But then I noticed that people would quickly look away from me as if horrified.

When we got home I went into the bathroom and put myself into hypnosis, then I looked in the mirror.  My left eye was wide open, but my right eye, controlled by the left hemisphere of the brain, was nearly closed.  It was like the whole right side of my face was shut down, and it looked a bit macabre. 

I could see why people were shocked.  Too bad I couldnt use the technique further because it did make the shopping experience more pleasurable.  I suppose I could use an eye patch.  I've got one in my Halloween costume kit.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139586
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN
by Lucy Bishop
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s