history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Oct 21 2014 07:58AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a Vinaya master asked a Zen master:
-How should one practice Tao?
The Zen master replied:
-Eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are tired.
The Vinaya master said:
-Most people do that.
The Zen master... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND!?
vertical line Posted on Jul.08.2012 @ 01:35AM EDT by cambria129
Hello there,
I am new to the forums and new to zen buddhism, but I have always been interested in it and want to learn more. My question being, since I am new to this what would you recommend me to start reading. I understand that buddhism does not have anything equivalent to the christian bible or the islamic koran. I have searched and saw that there are sutras, again What would you recommend me to start reading.
Thank you
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from apalelotus
Jul.08.2012
02:04AM EDT 
vertical line I started with a copy of the Dhammapada, Zen Flesh Zen Bones, Tao Te Ching, and Zen Mind Beginners Mind.

All you really need is the ability to breathe to practice however. Haha.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139238
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from apalelotus
Jul.08.2012
02:05AM EDT 
vertical line http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139239
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cambria129
Jul.08.2012
02:11AM EDT 
vertical line Okay I thank you both I found the first book you have listed in the website that was provided in the second post so I will start with that.
So basic premise is revolved around breathing? Again, being new to this I do not know but I shall soon find out I guess :p
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139240
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from simple
Jul.08.2012
03:18AM EDT 
Email simple
vertical line

Zen Flesh Zen Bones is a good place to start.That i too have started with.You can also find a road map there called 10 bulls.then i read 4-5 books more.Then i looked internet and read whatever i found about Zen.bit bit.i remember i have read alot of good words.than found zenguide forum.and made friends.they helped me much.they always say the same thing 'the practice'.But it took me years to understand what they say.But again do not afraid you may have a better/quick understanding then me.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139241
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.08.2012
04:58AM EDT 
vertical line

I always recommend Eugene Herrigel, The Method of Zen, and Zen in the Art of Archery.

I have also enjoyed Shunyro Suzuki.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139243
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.08.2012
04:26PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Zen And The Psychology Of Transformation
The Supreme Doctrine

by Hubert Benoit
forward by Aldous Huxley
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139249
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.08.2012
05:34PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Everyday Zen by Charolotte Joko Beck. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139250
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.08.2012
06:03PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Zen And The Birds Of Appetite by Thomas Merton
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139252
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.08.2012
10:50PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I have always believed that a person should learn about the story of Buddha.
His struggles and his final push toward enlightenment.
Then to learn about the four noble truths.

Once the beginner has learned these things .. to forget them to the best of his ability.
Just practice Zazen or watch the breathe .. if thoughts arise then do not follow them ..
Don't suppress .. just let it go. Find that quiet space. At first it will be mostly thoughts and
noise. Let it go and return to breathe. Soon, it turns to be more silence than noise.
Practice, practice, practice ... you will know it when you have found it.

If you need more then read more. If you need more instruction then seek a teacher.
You will know what you need ... when you need it. Namaste.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139253
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.09.2012
02:45AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line "Light" reading.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139255
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Jul.09.2012
09:32AM EDT 
vertical line Tripi?aka + this
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139261
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.09.2012
10:52AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Tripi?aka + this "

Thank you for (this) very interesting volume, which begins by saying:

There are many styles of meditation. Every major religious tradition has some sort of procedure which they call meditation, and the word is often very loosely used. Please understand that this volume deals exclusively with the Vipassana style of meditation as taught and practiced in South and Southeast Asian Buddhism. It is often translated as Insight meditation, since the purpose of this system is to give the meditator insight into the nature of reality and accurate understanding of how everything works.

Buddhism as a whole is quite different from the theological religions with which Westerners are most familiar. It is a direct entrance to a spiritual or divine realm without addressing deities or other 'agents'. Its flavor is intensely clinical, much more akin to what we would call psychology than to what we would usually call religion. It is an ever-ongoing investigation of reality, a microscopic examination of the very process of perception. Its intention is to pick apart the screen of lies and delusions through which we normally view the world, and thus to reveal the face of ultimate reality. Vipassana meditation is an ancient and elegant technique for doing just that.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139262
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.09.2012
10:57AM EDT 
vertical line

Vipassana

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vipassana (Pali) or vipasyana  in the Buddhist tradition means insight into the true nature of reality.[citation needed] A regular practitioner of Vipassana is known as a Vipassi (vipasyin). Vipassana is one of the world's most ancient techniques of meditation, which was introduced by Gautama Buddha. It is a practice of self-transformation through self-observation and introspection to the extent that sitting with a steadfast mind becomes an active experience of change and impermanence.[citation needed] In English, vipassana meditation is often referred to simply as "insight meditation".

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139263
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.09.2012
06:16PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line A book will exemplify a subject; zen, meditation etc. Something more natural is needed, however. I think a good question to ask yourself is "Why is to meditation essential (in my own life)"? Something of that nature. But answer it sincerely and then I believe you'll know what to do.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139265
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cambria129
Jul.09.2012
08:03PM EDT 
vertical line I would like to thank you all for the advice. First I will do my research on Buddha himself, read the link that was posted 'this' and I requested zen flesh zen bones. It will be a quite of bit of reading but I want to develop an understanding of buddhism first. Once I understand its basis and principles and if I enjoy it, now keep in mind I do not know anything about it, I will start to practice it. Froom the sound of things it sounds like something that would help reorganize my life, gain focus, and live by a good set or morals or rules, do not know what to call them. Again thank you!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139266
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.09.2012
10:24PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line the three pillers of zen was a good read.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139269
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.10.2012
12:23AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Good luck Cambria.  =^.^=
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139277
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.10.2012
05:06AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "A book will exemplify a subject; zen, meditation etc. Something more natural is needed, however. I think a good question to ask yourself is "Why is to meditation essential (in my own life)"? Something of that nature. But answer it sincerely and then I believe you'll know what to do. "

Why meditation?

I took up self-hypnosis in High School to overcome insomnia.  But it turned out to be a very useful tool, and I believe it is a form of meditation in itself.

Life is a struggle.  For me, being without meditation would be like a boxer not having a neutral corner to go to for rest and water.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139282
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from simple
Jul.10.2012
05:12AM EDT 
Email simple
vertical line

It is about your MIND.Not something you gain from outside.Dont forget this.In the future you will probabilly will have to forget all your readings.Do not let reading make you dizzy.You will see that they are all trifles.Basically it is said that "There is nothing to teach in Zen" So you can understand that there is nothing to learn in Zen.

Zen is very different.and not about 'reading' .for sure.

If you are serious take these words serious my friend.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139283
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cambria129
Jul.10.2012
03:12PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "A book will exemplify a subject; zen, meditation etc. Something more natural is needed, however. I think a good question to ask yourself is "Why is to meditation essential (in my own life)"? Something of that nature. But answer it sincerely and then I believe you'll know what to do. "

Why meditation?

I took up self-hypnosis in High School to overcome insomnia.  But it turned out to be a very useful tool, and I believe it is a form of meditation in itself.

Life is a struggle.  For me, being without meditation would be like a boxer not having a neutral corner to go to for rest and water.

"

I have read about self hypnosis in the past and it is said it is to be relaxing in a way just like meditation. I have tried it once and it worked you get to a peaceful state and a feeling over your body almost like a kind of energy, feels like your whole body is asleep, and when I tried to move my hand I couldn't it felt stuck, that might sound scary to somoe but it was a very peaceful experience.

I also was reading my psychology textbook because I am minoring in the field and there was a study that an expert meditator, who has between 10,000- 50,000 hrs of meditation experience compared to novice mediators, people who really didn't know what they where doing. Meditation showed to activate more parts of the brain than non meditators. "The findings suggest that long-term meditation produces significant changes in regions of the brain related to concentration and attention." I think because it takes both of thoe in order to meditate. Just a bit of info that I thought Id share with you all.

I understand that zen is something you may not want to learn its is more of an experience, but I think to become knowledgeable in any subject matter could only help you toward your goals, but I will keep what you have said in mind.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139292
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cambria129
Jul.10.2012
03:44PM EDT 
vertical line Excusme me for quoting the wrong thing :/
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139293
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.11.2012
05:10AM EDT 
vertical line

It feels good to relax.

That is reason enough to meditate.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139296
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.22.2012
12:37AM EDT 
vertical line I completely underestimated the need for a sangha and a legitimate teacher. Books alone entertain the very faculty which can impede progress, the linear, logical, categorizing mind. The Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha are essential.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139666
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.22.2012
01:40AM EDT 
vertical line When I started Zen practice my Sensei adviced me not to read. Even the Zen for Beginners. So I followed it. I have not read any book for the last 20 years. No suttras or precepts.

Zen is not reading. It is just experiencing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139667
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.22.2012
06:25AM EDT 
vertical line Dear Reader, neither neither.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139671
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.22.2012
09:59AM EDT 
vertical line Before The Law

BEFORE THE LAW stands a doorkeeper on guard. To this doorkeeper there comes a man from the country and prays for admittance to the Law. But the doorkeeper says that he cannot grant admittance at the moment. The man thinks it over and then asks if he will be allowed in later. "It is possible," says the doorkeeper, "but not at the moment." Since the gate stands open, as usual, and the doorkeeper steps to one side, the man stoops to peer through the gateway into the interior. Observing that, the doorkeeper laughs and says: "If you are so drawn to it, just try to go in despite my veto. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the least of the doorkeepers. From hall to hall there is one doorkeeper after another, each more powerful than the last. The third doorkeeper is already so terrible that even I cannot bear to look at him." These are difficulties the man from the country has not expected; the Law, he thinks, should surely be accessible at all times and to everyone, but as he now takes a closer look at the doorkeeper in his fur coat, with his big sharp nose and long, thin, black Tartar beard, he decides that it is better to wait until he gets permission to enter. The doorkeeper gives him a stool and lets him sit down at one side of the door. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be admitted, and wearies the doorkeeper by his importunity. The doorkeeper frequently has little interviews with him, asking him questions about his home and many other things, but the questions are put indifferently, as great lords put them, and always finish with the statement that he cannot be let in yet. The man, who has furnished himself with many things for his journey, sacrifices all he has, however valuable, to bribe the doorkeeper. The doorkeeper accepts everything, but always with the remark: "I am only taking it to keep you from thinking you have omitted anything." During these many years the man fixes his attention almost continuously on the doorkeeper. He forgets the other doorkeepers, and this first one seems to him the sole obstacle preventing access to the Law. He curses his bad luck, in his early years boldly and loudly; later, as he grows old, he only grumbles to himself. He becomes childish, and since in his yearlong contemplation of the doorkeeper he has come to know even the fleas in his fur collar, he begs the fleas as well to help him and to change the doorkeeper's mind. At length his eyesight begins to fail, and he does not know whether the world is really darker or whether his eyes are only deceiving him. Yet in his darkness, he is now aware of a radiance that streams inextinguishably from the gateway of the Law. Now he has not very long to live. Before he dies, all his experiences in these long years gather themselves in his head to one point, a question he has not yet asked the doorkeeper. He waves him nearer, since he can no longer raise his stiffening body. The doorkeeper has to bend low towards him, for the difference in height between them has altered much to the man's disadvantage. "What do you want to know now?" asks the doorkeeper; "you are insatiable." "Everyone strives to reach the Law," says the man, "so how does it happen that for all these many years no one but myself has ever begged for admittance?" The doorkeeper recognizes that the man has reached his end, and to let his failing senses catch the words, roars in his ear: "No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it."

~ Franz Kafka
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139679
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.22.2012
01:54PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "When I started Zen practice my Sensei adviced me not to read. Even the Zen for Beginners. So I followed it. I have not read any book for the last 20 years. No suttras or precepts.

Zen is not reading. It is just experiencing.
"
If you still have a teacher then you are on the right path.
But, without a teacher then one needs to learn more to understand ones own practice.
It sometimes helps to learn more to progress.
Others don't need anything and can receive the transmission all on their own.

Has your experience brought you what you wanted??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139681
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.27.2012
02:52AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line once you have a basic understanding, go for the sutras online. It the best way, and closest to the source so therefore less personalised and opinionated. And practice, hahaha and attention attention attention
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139891
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.27.2012
06:53AM EDT 
vertical line I don't pay attention to Justin. See?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139902
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.28.2012
06:17AM EDT 
vertical line What doorkeeper?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139938
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.28.2012
10:51AM EDT 
vertical line Mi casa es su casa.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139943
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.28.2012
11:25AM EDT 
vertical line When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139945
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.28.2012
11:32AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"
The question is why do you practice zazen??
To calm your nerves, to bring inner peace, to waste time, to act cool??
If you still have your teacher guiding you then fine.
But, if not then you are like a carpenter trying to make a table without any idea what a table is.
I don't advocate reading for reading sake. Nor do I advocate not reading.
After all Buddha himself advocated the middle way.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139947
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.28.2012
11:55AM EDT 
vertical line Reading this forum reminds me that I have no regrets.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139951
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.28.2012
12:06PM EDT 
vertical line I read for the sake of it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139953
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.28.2012
03:07PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"
But, if not then you are like a carpenter trying to make a table without any idea what a table is.
"
So what is the middle you have any idea?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139957
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.28.2012
03:55PM EDT 
vertical line Um ... two outta three ain't that bad.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139960
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.28.2012
07:57PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"
"

"

You are your own best judge what is the middle way for you.
If you ask me again then I would only tip you over and you would lose your balance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139968
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.29.2012
04:04AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"
"

So what is the middle way.. you have any idea?

"

You are your own best judge what is the middle way for you.
If you ask me again then I would only tip you over and you would lose your balance.
"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139976
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.29.2012
04:06AM EDT 
vertical line So what is the middle way.... you have any idea?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139977
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.29.2012
05:11AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "So what is the middle way.... you have any idea? "

Not *too* anything, including not too *middle way*.

The only conclusions you wont have to give up

are the ones you dont arrive at.

Open ended....  The path is unending...., and beginningless....

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139983
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.29.2012
07:01AM EDT 
vertical line No path. No place. No trace. Alleluia!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139995
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.29.2012
01:38PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "So what is the middle way.... you have any idea? "
You asked, again.!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.29.2012
01:54PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"

"So what is the middle way.... you have any idea? "

You haven't read a book on Zen for 20 years??
That doesn't sound extreme .. does it??

If you judge it to be the middle way for you then it is so!
lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140014
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Jul.29.2012
04:20PM EDT 
vertical line Moving trough the misty streets, the gunslinger felt an eerie feeling about the mission. But the old babbling man`s money was sound (Libyan gold dinars), and soon they reached the doorway were a big muscular  doorman was blocking the entrance.

The doorman looked uncertain on the gunslinger in company with his persistent old friend.

"So, my friend here wants to enter, any problem with that?"
"See, i cannot let anyone enter today because.."

BLAM!

A blue flash tore a gaping hole trough the upper left of the doorman's head, sizzling smoke evaporating from the hole as he fell forward with a large thump to the ground. The old man looked flabbergasted at the gunslinger, mouth wide open.

"Dang, thought I set this sht on stunn??" the gunslinger mumbled to himself as he surprised looked at his Gigablaster3000(TM). Wailing sires could be heard in the distance as the gunslinger muttered a meek farewell
"ehh, think I gotta go now, bye"

The old man looked shocked and disbelieved as the gunslinger threw himself over a fence and disappeared hurriedly down some alley.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140016
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.29.2012
04:44PM EDT 
vertical line ˜˜ƒlÔ
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140017
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Jul.29.2012
05:47PM EDT 
vertical line

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion":)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140022
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.29.2012
06:38PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "When I started Zen practice 20 years ago my Teacher advised me not to read even the Zen for Beginners. And I followed it. I think it is a good advise since having an idea about Zen is hard to drop when you are practicing.
"

"So what is the middle way.... you have any idea? "

You haven't read a book on Zen for 20 years??
That doesn't sound extreme .. does it??

If you judge it to be the middle way for you then it is so!
lol
"

Yep thats true. I haven't even read newspapers. lol
If you read so many books.. just tell me whats the middle way.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140026
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.29.2012
07:47PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Yep thats true. I haven't even read newspapers. lol
If you read so many books.. just tell me whats the middle way.
"

I don't read so many books. But, neither do I read none at all.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140034
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.29.2012
11:00PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Quote: "˜˜ƒlÔ

"

WTF? You smokin' spice? Spice of life? Oregano?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140042
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.29.2012
11:24PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "˜˜ƒlÔ

"

"
Spice and the worms ... the movie "Dune"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140043
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.30.2012
02:08AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line haha
Ahhhhhhhh
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140044
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.30.2012
04:48AM EDT 

"

"

What else is there ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.30.2012
07:25AM EDT 
vertical line Bees, bodies and honeycomb.

Surrender!

The coffee must flow.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.30.2012
08:09AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "˜˜ƒlÔ

"

"
"

The [Dune] movie is not as bad as some would like you to believe. It is in point of fact quite good, atmospherically capturing the essence of the story. But it is a pity the film was butchered quite so brutally before release, merely to satisfy the marketing men.

The Dune series of books, however, is an unequivocal masterpiece of pure genius.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140062
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Jul.30.2012
07:28PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Before The Law

BEFORE THE LAW stands a doorkeeper on guard. To this doorkeeper there comes a man from the country and prays for admittance to the Law. But the doorkeeper says that he cannot grant admittance at the moment. The man thinks it over and then asks if he will be allowed in later. "It is possible," says the doorkeeper, "but not at the moment." Since the gate stands open, as usual, and the doorkeeper steps to one side, the man stoops to peer through the gateway into the interior. Observing that, the doorkeeper laughs and says: "If you are so drawn to it, just try to go in despite my veto. But take note: I am powerful. And I am only the least of the doorkeepers. From hall to hall there is one doorkeeper after another, each more powerful than the last. The third doorkeeper is already so terrible that even I cannot bear to look at him." These are difficulties the man from the country has not expected; the Law, he thinks, should surely be accessible at all times and to everyone, but as he now takes a closer look at the doorkeeper in his fur coat, with his big sharp nose and long, thin, black Tartar beard, he decides that it is better to wait until he gets permission to enter. The doorkeeper gives him a stool and lets him sit down at one side of the door. There he sits for days and years. He makes many attempts to be admitted, and wearies the doorkeeper by his importunity. The doorkeeper frequently has little interviews with him, asking him questions about his home and many other things, but the questions are put indifferently, as great lords put them, and always finish with the statement that he cannot be let in yet. The man, who has furnished himself with many things for his journey, sacrifices all he has, however valuable, to bribe the doorkeeper. The doorkeeper accepts everything, but always with the remark: "I am only taking it to keep you from thinking you have omitted anything." During these many years the man fixes his attention almost continuously on the doorkeeper. He forgets the other doorkeepers, and this first one seems to him the sole obstacle preventing access to the Law. He curses his bad luck, in his early years boldly and loudly; later, as he grows old, he only grumbles to himself. He becomes childish, and since in his yearlong contemplation of the doorkeeper he has come to know even the fleas in his fur collar, he begs the fleas as well to help him and to change the doorkeeper's mind. At length his eyesight begins to fail, and he does not know whether the world is really darker or whether his eyes are only deceiving him. Yet in his darkness, he is now aware of a radiance that streams inextinguishably from the gateway of the Law. Now he has not very long to live. Before he dies, all his experiences in these long years gather themselves in his head to one point, a question he has not yet asked the doorkeeper. He waves him nearer, since he can no longer raise his stiffening body. The doorkeeper has to bend low towards him, for the difference in height between them has altered much to the man's disadvantage. "What do you want to know now?" asks the doorkeeper; "you are insatiable." "Everyone strives to reach the Law," says the man, "so how does it happen that for all these many years no one but myself has ever begged for admittance?" The doorkeeper recognizes that the man has reached his end, and to let his failing senses catch the words, roars in his ear: "No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it."

~ Franz Kafka
"

I like this very much, but I do not understand it..
Ta.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.31.2012
01:57AM EDT 
vertical line I think it is too wordy...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.31.2012
05:24AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "˜˜ƒlÔ

"

"
"

The [Dune] movie is not as bad as some would like you to believe. It is in point of fact quite good, atmospherically capturing the essence of the story. But it is a pity the film was butchered quite so brutally before release, merely to satisfy the marketing men.

The Dune series of books, however, is an unequivocal masterpiece of pure genius.
"

Its a double edged sword.  We need creative minds to come up with the stories, and marketing people to ensure that what gets out there produces enough income to ensure that more creative people can be hired to come up with more material.

Werner Klemper played Colonel Klink on Hogans Heroes.  His father was an orchestra conductor.  When he showed the first episode to his fater, he responded, *I think your acting was very good, but who authored this material ?*

Now thats class.  The question I usually find myself asking is, *Who wrote this crap ?*

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.31.2012
05:26AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Bees, bodies and honeycomb.

Surrender!

The coffee must flow.
"

Someone recently told me they cant retire because they dont have any hobbies.

Told tell management, but my job is my hobby.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140095
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.31.2012
07:19AM EDT 
vertical line Sold in dribbles.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.01.2012
05:46AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I think it is too wordy...

"

I see.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140149
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.03.2012
12:43PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Sold in dribbles."
No drabs??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140270
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.04.2012
02:05AM EDT 
vertical line The more you think the more you put it in words. And you always miss.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140282
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.04.2012
07:10AM EDT 
vertical line The more you leoj99 put in your mouth, the more you leoj99 don't eat.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140292
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.04.2012
11:18AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The more you leoj99 put in your mouth, the more you leoj99 don't eat. "

Yeah thats right Joe Chip.. don't think...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140297
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.04.2012
11:42AM EDT 
vertical line Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140300
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.04.2012
03:25PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?"

The cup is full ... no more will go in!!!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140303
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.04.2012
08:19PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?"

"

Better yet don't use your cup...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140308
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.04.2012
11:14PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?"

"

"
You have again proven yourself to be the most stupid person I know.
You should thank Zen for becoming so stupid ... lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140332
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.04.2012
11:36PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?"

"

"
"

Why you don't want to become stupid. You want to use your cup which is already full and dirty?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140336
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.04.2012
11:56PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Do you think leoj99 is being asked to process a request?"

"

"
"

Why you don't want to become stupid. You want to use your cup which is already full and dirty?
"
The trio up the mountain is for one's self.
The trip back down is for compassion of all sentient beings.
I do not wish to become stupid.
Rather I wish for wisdom which comes from deep meditation which comes from proper discipline.
From there, to show my compassion for others.

Yes my cup is full but it is far from being dirty ... lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140341
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.05.2012
12:19AM EDT 
vertical line Well it has been so full for a long time. So it must be dirty. Anything you can put in your cup is dirty. You cannot put anything clean in your cup. lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140345
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.05.2012
01:28AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Well it has been so full for a long time. So it must be dirty. Anything you can put in your cup is dirty. You cannot put anything clean in your cup. lol "

It has been a long time since I've had this pain in my neck.
But, it seems to have come back now.
I don't know what to do about it.
Maybe a cold pack to keep the swelling down
And, then a hot pack to relax the muscles

Oh, sorry, what were you saying about cups??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140347
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.05.2012
08:35AM EDT 
vertical line O sweetest song: Honey is bee vomit.

Don't keep it stored in the bag of your throat.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140352
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Aug.05.2012
09:35AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line "It has been a long time since I've had this pain in my neck.
But, it seems to have come back now.
I don't know what to do about it.
Maybe a cold pack to keep the swelling down
And, then a hot pack to relax the muscles

Oh, sorry, what were you saying about cups??
"

When I was in late elementary school my step mom moved in and brought with her an enormous salt water tank. I don't know how many gallons it was but standing on tiptoes I could barely see over it and lying down I could roll under it and be completely hidden. It fascinated me.

There were quite a few fish and a lot of coral so there was always something to see, but my favorite were the three green mandarins, particularly the one with the long dorsal fin. I choose to believe that fish knew me; at the very least when ever it saw me it would swim over and blow a bubble. -bloop-

I would talk to this fish everyday, sometimes for hours before everyone got home from work. I would tell it my fears and it would tell me -bloop-. I would tell it my hopes and it would tell me -bloop-. I would talk to it about all the silly stuff I thought was gravely important and all the important stuff I thought was silly and it would tell me -bloop-.

Eventually I got tired of the -bloop-. I was pouring out my heart for a -bloop-? I tried doing different things to get a response other than a -bloop-, but, of course, the fish had nothing else to offer. Eventually is stopped visiting the fish so often. I started using other entrances into the house to avoid the foyer where it lived. I even, to my surprise, made some bipedal friends.

Then I got sick and I was away from home for months and weeks at s time. When I did get time to go home I again started to visit my aquatic friend. I had new hopes and fears but the fish had the same -bloop-. But now the -bloop- was enough. The -bloop- wasn't all but everything my friend had to offer and he was giving it to me freely.

Sometimes people develop a -bloop- too. Whatever you say to them, however you dance, and whatever faces you pull they'll always give you back a - bloop-. Whenever you encounter this you only really have three available responses: you can keep trying to elicit a new response, you can turn your back in frustration, or you can respect them for being brave enough to show you this crystalized facet of their personality.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140359
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.05.2012
09:58AM EDT 
vertical line Passerby never encounters this.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140364
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.05.2012
11:11AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line The fish goes ... ploop .... hahaha ....
It is so sad that I have to laugh to keep from going crazy.

You have a beautiful mind. Thank you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140380
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.05.2012
11:15AM EDT 
vertical line So what does the fish says. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140383
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.05.2012
01:57PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "So what does the fish says.  "

You are off balance when you start asking "So what does the fish says. " ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140398
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Aug.05.2012
02:58PM EDT 
vertical line Nooope, sorry to disagree, but that one is rather legitimate. So naomi? The fish asked you a question!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140399
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.05.2012
06:19PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "So what does the fish says.  "

You are off balance when you start asking "So what does the fish says. " ... hahaha
"

Well he said he was talking to the fish for hours. LOL.. how could that be off balance...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140403
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.05.2012
06:30PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "So what does the fish says.  "

"

Well he said he was talking to the fish for hours. LOL.. how could that be off balance...
"
When "she" was talking to the fish for hours, she was a little girl.
What is your excuse??? ... lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140406
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.05.2012
06:38PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "So what does the fish says.  "

"

"
When "she" was talking to the fish for hours, she was a little girl.
What is your excuse??? ... lol
"

Well she was a little girl. But still the same the fish must have said something or at least made a body language...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140409
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Aug.05.2012
07:39PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line I rather thought i did say what the fish said.
=^.^=
The fish said -bloop-.

What does -bloop- mean?
Who knows?

Who cares?

-bloop- is what the fish had to say. -bloop- is _everything_ the fish had to say and the fish gave me that one response freely. The fish did not have to -bloop-. It's two school mates never -blooped- for me.

The point is rather than trying to get the fish to say or do something that wasn't within him, I learned to be grateful for what the fish could give: a -bloop-.

It happens in people too. Talking with people is frequently fun and occasionally productive, but many people have a -bloop- within them. What ever you do they'll give you back their -bloop-. What that -bloop- is isn't important. It is simply their -bloop-. Rather than wasting time trying to get the person to give something other than the -bloop- I suggest being grateful that they gave you that -bloop- when they could have just as easily withheld it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140411
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Aug.05.2012
07:44PM EDT 
vertical line You see the fish said ...".bloop..."  thats exactly what i was asking...lol

bloop... bloop..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140412
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Aug.05.2012
08:13PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

What else is there ?

"

frank, james, ian, earnest, tthere are many more
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140413
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.05.2012
09:07PM EDT 
vertical line bloops and ploops
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140417
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Aug.05.2012
09:55PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "You see the fish said ...".bloop..."  thats exactly what i was asking...lol

bloop... bloop..
"

bloop was already said. Why do you need to ask again??
Off balance and in deep need of some soup.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140424
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Aug.06.2012
04:51AM EDT 

Quote: "Bees, bodies and honeycomb.

Surrender!

The coffee must flow.
"

Someone recently told me they cant retire because they dont have any hobbies.

Told tell management, but my job is my hobby.

"

"

My job isnt always a piece of cake.  Last night I had to go and attend to a fight in the parking lot.

I said to one of the bartenders, *What do you think these people do after you get them drunk and set them loose?  You think they just go to bed and sleep peacefully?  No, I have to deal with them.  Its like you wind them up and then just send them on their way.*

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140443
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Aug.06.2012
06:49AM EDT 
vertical line He wept ploop and did a bloop.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 140448
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA SET : STATUE & FIGURINE COLLECTION
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s