history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Nov 26 2014 09:58AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Gudo was the emperor's teacher of his time. Nevertheless, he used to travel alone as a wandering mendicant. Once when he was on his way to Edo, the cultural and political center of the shogunate, he approached a little village named Takenaka.... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WAR
vertical line Posted on Jul.13.2012 @ 06:22PM EDT by simple
War is not good
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email simple
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.13.2012
06:44PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line War brings into contact .. factions that ought to not to be in war ... into a collection of people called a nation. So war may not be good, but the end of war brings many good things. End of war brought us jet engines, radar, and a host of other technologies which are used today in peace time. That's an example of the good after war. So even if war it self is a terrible thing, there are benefits from war that can't be denied.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139355
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.13.2012
07:28PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line i could do without these things.

war is evil.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139356
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.13.2012
10:58PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I give up ... I don't champion war but the results speak for themselves.
The world is better for having had such wars ... not many can see this
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139357
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Jul.14.2012
02:11AM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line war? this hand.

stupid technology? this hand...

im gving up both.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139359
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.14.2012
06:12AM EDT 
vertical line My sword is Love and with it I will drive the strangers from the land and have thee proclaimed King.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139360
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.14.2012
06:18PM EDT 
vertical line

War is like bad weather.  It comes and goes.

It diesnt matter what you think of it.  Its an overpowering part of human nature.

Just be smart enough to stay out of the rain, or find shelter when need be.

I was in the eye of a hurricane once, and was surprised by the eiree silence and stillness in the midst of a circle of 100 + winds, realizing that we still had half of that to go.

of course, the birds and all the other creatures evacuated ahead of the storm.  Thats why it was so quiet.

I know you love my stories, so I will tell you another one.  I was there because my mom was dying in the hospital.  I was staying at my brothers house in Delaware, an nice brick house that weathered the storm without damage.  As the hurricane approached, we were told we had to leave the hospital because they did not want to be responisble for anyone but staff and patients.

Friday night, on the way there from DC, I asked the Spirit what was going to happen.  Several times the doctors had said she would not make it rhrough the night and the next mornng she was sitting up in bed barking orders, as usual.  The Spirit said, *She will not be able to withstand the force of the hurricane.  When the eye if the hurrican reaches her, she will die.*  The hurricane was still a tropical storm at that time, located down around Central America and expected to go up into the Gulf of Mexico.

It did turn into a hurricane, and it did go up into the Gulf of Mexico.  Then it hopped over the Florida peninsula and came up the Eastern coastline, into Chesapeake Bay and up into Delaware.  When the eye of the hurricane passed over the hospital that mom was in, she died.

That was a hell of a call, for any weatherman, to predict the path of a hurricane from that distance.  And how was it that mom could not withstand the force of the storm, you may ask?  I did some research and the barometric pressure inside the eye of a hurricane is 15 to 20 degrees lower that outside.  She could not withstand a sudden drop in barometric pressure, and she died right on cue.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139374
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.15.2012
06:15AM EDT 
vertical line The gift of tears clarifies.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139403
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.15.2012
12:36PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line War is not weather.  It is a choice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139416
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.15.2012
01:46PM EDT 
vertical line Hard rain.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139419
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.15.2012
02:28PM EDT 
vertical line O Fortuna
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139420
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.15.2012
07:48PM EDT 
vertical line War is the result of Noble Egos. I think holy people starts it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139424
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.16.2012
02:09AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "war? this hand.

stupid technology? this hand...

im gving up both.
"
I don't want to champion war. But, war had it uses and also provided benefits that only the truly open minded can see or understand. Rejecting something outright without trying to understand it is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. What was learned during war saves lives now.

Never mind  .....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139432
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
05:10AM EDT 
vertical line OK.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139438
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
05:28AM EDT 
vertical line Uh-huh - pity the poor souls and show me some more dead matter.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139442
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.16.2012
07:54AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "War is not weather.  It is a choice. "

Roosevelt made the choice to have an embargo of Japan in response to the Sino-Japanese war ongoing at the time.

Japan needed the raw materials so badly that they were faced with a choice of attacking the US or foregoing further military action in SE Asia.

Hitler made a decision to declare war against the US after Japan had.

Italy made the same choice.

Some of our choices are choices, while others are foisted upon us by circumstance.

Personally, I would have chosen to let Germany have France, although England might have worked out a treaty to get back Celtic Britany in return for non-aggression.

In 1959, DeGaule entered into the Ellyse Treaty with Germany, which provided for a mutual defense, including defense contracts, and a mutual foreign policy.  This amounts either to a merger or a pre-surrender, depending on how you look at it.  It also provides Germany with a defacto seat on the UN Security Council via France.

The French have been unhappy with Americans since WWII.  The Germans occupied France, but actually did little physical damage.  The Americans and other Allies 'liberated' France, but not until everything that could be destroyed had been.  Oh yeah, we also liberally liberated their women.

War.  One thing leads to another.  One day a disagreement, and the next you are shooting at each other.  And once someone shoots the dye is cast.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139447
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
08:47AM EDT 
vertical line Living in a war zone - no choice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139456
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.16.2012
09:35AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Anger starts the war between feelings of rejection, sadness, and anger until anger rules every aspect of life without silence to wash the mind clean of suffering. In war silence is a minus one, anger.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139458
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.16.2012
10:11AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line One only lives in the peace we now enjoy by having gone through the horrors of war.
It is only in knowing the true cost of war that we do not continue to suffer through another world war. Mutual Assured Destruction ... MAD

I would not vote for war under any circumstance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139459
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.16.2012
11:24AM EDT 
vertical line Syria piece place.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139461
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.16.2012
04:13PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Silly Goose(s)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139469
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.17.2012
01:44PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "

Roosevelt made the choice to have an embargo of Japan in response to the Sino-Japanese war ongoing at the time.

Japan needed the raw materials so badly that they were faced with a choice of attacking the US or foregoing further military action in SE Asia.

Some of our choices are choices, while others are foisted upon us by circumstance.

Personally, I would have chosen to let Germany have France, although England might have worked out a treaty to get back Celtic Britany in return for non-aggression.

In 1959, DeGaule entered into the Ellyse Treaty with Germany, which provided for a mutual defense, including defense contracts, and a mutual foreign policy.  This amounts either to a merger or a pre-surrender, depending on how you look at it.  It also provides Germany with a defacto seat on the UN Security Council via France.

The French have been unhappy with Americans since WWII.  The Germans occupied France, but actually did little physical damage.  The Americans and other Allies 'liberated' France, but not until everything that could be destroyed had been.  Oh yeah, we also liberally liberated their women.

War.  One thing leads to another.  One day a disagreement, and the next you are shooting at each other.  And once someone shoots the dye is cast.

"

I see the argument you are laying out, but it contains my counter argument.  There are other choices that could have been made.  WWII would have been hard to avoid, but WWII is really just the second half of the 20th century's 30 year's war which started with WWI.  As time goes farther, people will forget that we ever divided the two conflicts, as the second is directly predicated on the first.  However, WWI was entirely avoidable.  The schliffer plan did not have to be followed, or plan XVII.  WWI occurred because of nationalism, because people believed in the preeminence of their nations, and of the necessity of vigorous conflict to hone the fighting spirit of these nations.  Sounds like it could have been printed today doesn't it? 

There are other choices that can be made now.  We can open dialogue with the people who hate us, we can try to understand them and help them to understand us rather than just send another wave of bombers to radicalize the children of newly American killed parents.  War is a failure of choice, a failure to recognize the consequence of choices and a failure to have any other choice once, as you said, people start shooting.  War is a feedback cycle.  War causes wars.  But war comes from making choices, a little more wisdom, and a LOT more dialogue and we can continue to make choices without having all of our choices decided by a screaming wall of gamma particles erupting from a criticality. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139516
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.17.2012
01:46PM EDT 
vertical line I grow in the sun.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139518
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Jul.18.2012
05:21AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

I see the argument you are laying out, but it contains my counter argument.  There are other choices that could have been made.  WWII would have been hard to avoid, but WWII is really just the second half of the 20th century's 30 year's war which started with WWI.  As time goes farther, people will forget that we ever divided the two conflicts, as the second is directly predicated on the first.  However, WWI was entirely avoidable.  The schliffer plan did not have to be followed, or plan XVII.  WWI occurred because of nationalism, because people believed in the preeminence of their nations, and of the necessity of vigorous conflict to hone the fighting spirit of these nations.  Sounds like it could have been printed today doesn't it? 

There are other choices that can be made now.  We can open dialogue with the people who hate us, we can try to understand them and help them to understand us rather than just send another wave of bombers to radicalize the children of newly American killed parents.  War is a failure of choice, a failure to recognize the consequence of choices and a failure to have any other choice once, as you said, people start shooting.  War is a feedback cycle.  War causes wars.  But war comes from making choices, a little more wisdom, and a LOT more dialogue and we can continue to make choices without having all of our choices decided by a screaming wall of gamma particles erupting from a criticality. 
"

"

"

I agree with you, more dialogue would forestall further conflict.

Hitler made choices that left other world leaders no choice but to go to war.  Similarly, after Japans attack on Pearl Harbor, Hitler felt he had no choice but to declare war on the US, even though that was his worst possible choice.  Polls had it that 90% of Americans wanted to stay out of the war in Europe and would have focused entirely on the war in the Pacific.

I recall that after Osam Bin Laden chose to attack on 9/11, the US felt it had no choice but to go after him, and the Afghan govt supporting him.  I remember the faces of the Afghans in the newsreels.  One old man said, *You are here looking for Osam Bin Laden.  We are all Osama Bin Laden*.  I could clearly see the hatred in the eyes of the Afghan children, and thought to myself, *This is never going to be over*.

Our choices lead to the choices of others.  I remember when I was married, I eventually learned not to argue.  I couldnt win that way.  So I learned to negotiate.  She still got whatever she wanted, but at least I got something in return.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139587
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.18.2012
10:13AM EDT 
vertical line Sweet Dreams
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139601
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Jul.18.2012
12:44PM EDT 
vertical line The reckoning of war
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139602
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.27.2012
03:06AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line war is all about erroneous views of self (in particular self in competition with self) , it is perceived threats to self, which promote frightened responses and over reaction.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139897
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.27.2012
03:10AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line the powers that be do not want honest dialogue, they realise with open discussion people would realise we are all one, and have more similarities then differances.

this is devide and conquer tactics and it is working world wide.

These wars are orchestrated, and not for the lame reasons we are given.

Aslong as we continue to hate the chains are being tightened.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139898
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.27.2012
06:50AM EDT 
vertical line Your civil war day.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139900
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEDITATION I (SILVER FOIL STAMPED & EMBOSSED)
by Chris Paschke
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s
i