history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 02 2014 07:34AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.15.2009 @ 09:32AM EDT by chontri

Sakuladayi the Wanderer asked the Buddha:
-What is the past and what is the future?
The Buddha answered:
-Let the past be and forget the future. I will teach you that... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ANGER
vertical line Posted on Jul.19.2012 @ 06:01PM EDT by peace mind

body {background:#FFFFFF;margin:2px;padding:0px;font-family:arial,tahoma,helvetica;font-size:12px;}

we as humans are supossed to be attached with feelings unless we have reached a mental level above this ... the feeling we are attached more is anger.. often known as a bad advisor..what i m thinking is that..:is it bad to let the anger take the control of us while someone has said offensive things for someone important to us ?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email peace mind
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from peace mind
Jul.19.2012
06:02PM EDT 
Email peace mind
vertical line

body {background:#FFFFFF;margin:2px;padding:0px;font-family:arial,tahoma,helvetica;font-size:12px;}

plz i need advices from more open minded people
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139622
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.19.2012
09:06PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line The advice you seek is within you to find.
So, no one answers.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139625
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.20.2012
06:01PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Why should an aemotional state be higher than an emotional one?  Listening to advice does little harm.  Following advice not so much.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139631
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.21.2012
12:54AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line In the beginning was the void. All things sprang out of it.

Wait  - ... are we talking emotions or the big bang theory??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139638
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Jul.21.2012
01:14AM EDT 
vertical line

e-motion

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139640
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.21.2012
02:18AM EDT 
vertical line Anger is an emotion produced when you have an enourmous ego.
Zen is erasing the  ego so you will never be angry again.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139643
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.22.2012
12:22AM EDT 
vertical line Meditation does not erase emotion. Every experience you resist generates a counter force to the resistance. If you can be a conduit to your emotional experiences without attaching to or resisting them, they lose power over your actions. It takes awareness and consistant practice. Anger is named as one of the three poisons. Anger is aversion, keeping you from being in this moment. If you can be still as anger passes over you, you invite insight into its true purpose. Usually it is something you do not wish to face weather it is true, or not. Try not to lean against or for, simply allow things to be what they are.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139665
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.22.2012
01:44AM EDT 
vertical line Your emotions depends on your ego. Like anger is just enormous ego.
If you ego is gone you anger is gone too. What  you need is more zazen.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139668
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.22.2012
06:14AM EDT 
vertical line Petrolhead emissions.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139670
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.22.2012
09:15PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Your emotions depends on your ego. Like anger is just enormous ego.
If you ego is gone you anger is gone too. What  you need is more zazen.

"

This sort of dualistic thinking can be, unhelpful. Ego vs non-ego. When the ego is still and silent anger is less likely to arise, yes. Yet it is folly to think ego ceases. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. This is not intended as an intillectual challenge to your perspective. We often say the same thing yet it sounds diffrent when describing the non-conceptual. So I accept that I may be misunderstanding your statement. (please forgive misspellings).
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139697
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Jul.22.2012
09:31PM EDT 
vertical line

Meditation can all but erase emotion.

It will refine you, and make your interior real instead a plastic construct

Meditation can not be forced

A few ways to promote meditation,

take a holiday or a respite, and lie on the beach, or grassy riverbanks, or in reclining folding chairs

enjoy a creamy lassi, smoothie, or cultured milk, preferably from yak, sheep, camel, or llama, and the like, then with fullish stomach rest on a large cushion/mattress or a comfy lounge and daydream

or if able take a cool swim, followed by a sauna/sweat lodge or similar, even thai/swiss massage, then either clean the skin with a tepid dip, finishing massage with cool calming botanicals, or simply dry oneself off and dust in a light and refreshing talcum powder(or similar), then partake in a light and delicious snack, or light wholesome soup with noodles and preserved fruit or lightly pickled veg, anything really that is light, wholesome and good for the body, add some not too hot tea, of course, or a brandy lime and soda, if so inclined, etc....then take a walk through a natural setting, or just sit and read or listen to cymbols and stringed instruments.

or take a long bushwalk then sit with bare feet on an outcrop that looks out on an expanse of landscape or beach/sea

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139698
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Jul.22.2012
09:35PM EDT 
vertical line

or go for a sail

or make bread, potter in a garden, or pick wildflowers, or take your baby for a walk in a pram along an esplanade or along pleasant streets, but be sure that your baby is comfortably wrapped and make sure you are wearing comfortable footwear

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139699
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.22.2012
09:59PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

or go for a sail

or make bread, potter in a garden, or pick wildflowers, or take your baby for a walk in a pram along an esplanade or along pleasant streets, but be sure that your baby is comfortably wrapped and make sure you are wearing comfortable footwear

"

Thats not meditation. It will not erase your ego. On the contrary it makes your ego bigger.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139700
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.22.2012
10:32PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Miracles of mindfulness

1. Presence
2. The Other
3. Working with negative and positive elements

I hold up my presence, I hold up your presence and what works is what is truth. I'm not going to stress any more then I should. When stress goes overboard it invites anger...You get angry at me and I leave you alone. Because I am alone eight or nine out of ten. So I'll show you what you don't care to see because you don't want to be alone. Peace and happiness is how it should sound.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139702
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.22.2012
11:09PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Meditation does not erase emotion. Every experience you resist generates a counter force to the resistance. If you can be a conduit to your emotional experiences without attaching to or resisting them, they lose power over your actions. It takes awareness and consistant practice. Anger is named as one of the three poisons. Anger is aversion, keeping you from being in this moment. If you can be still as anger passes over you, you invite insight into its true purpose. Usually it is something you do not wish to face weather it is true, or not. Try not to lean against or for, simply allow things to be what they are.
"
Your answer rings true. Meditation doesn't wipe out emotions nor does it do away with ego. On ones path .. travel returns to oneself .. brought whole. Emotions become genuine and real. No attachment. No resistance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139703
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.22.2012
11:14PM EDT 
vertical line So you meditate and keep your anger? It does not makes sense to me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139704
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.23.2012
01:11AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "So you meditate and keep your anger? It does not makes sense to me.

"
Observe, embrace, release...do not keep, do not push away, let it go. Do not take my word for it. Whenever something arises within do the same, acknowledge it, honor it, release it. Any attempt to suppress is not an act of awareness but aversion.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139715
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.23.2012
01:16AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "So you meditate and keep your anger? It does not makes sense to me.

"
Are you angry while you meditate?
Where does it go?

Do you meditate and lose your other emotions such as love??
Meditation lets you live life fuller ....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139716
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.23.2012
02:39AM EDT 
vertical line Zazen is meditation technique so you don't even pay attention to your emotions. Emotions are unreliable because they are the results of your ego, your not true self.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139721
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.23.2012
06:52AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Find something that feels like meditation not just what is meditation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139723
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Jul.23.2012
07:19AM EDT 
vertical line

why do you think you need to erase the ego?

we need the ego

it comes down to a matter of popular dialogue,

From AZIZ KRISTOF, a non-traditional Advaita-Zen Master:

'Enlightenment does not annihilate the ego.  Why would someone want to annihilate something so useful and extraordinary?  It has not been by chance that we have mentioned many times how important the mind and ego are as the creative force of our intelligence.  We need to dissolve this dangerous spiritual conditioning that has taken deep root in our habitual way of thinking.  Irresponsible psychological language has caused a lot of harm to those on the Path.  The ego concept needs to be defined in a way that relates to our everyday experience, and to all those complicated processes in meditation and on the spiritual Path.

In the case of people without insight into the nature of consciousness, the mental activity is in the center of consciousness.  Every thought creates a new center, a new identification which is the ego -- there is nothing else there.  We cannot talk about “one” ego but rather about a flow of conscious or semi-conscious events, being capable of operating in a relatively integrated way.  This is the function of the ego.

When Enlightenment takes place, the Presence becomes the center, and there is the feeling that all the thoughts are only witnessed objects-events on the periphery of consciousness; they are guests coming and going, having nothing to do with the stillness of our being.  For that reason, it is easy to conclude that there is only Witnessing, and the rest is irrelevant, impersonal and objective.  But this popular conclusion is one-dimensional and is not able to grasp the dynamics of human consciousness.  Thoughts are being witnessed and observed.  The center is empty and uninvolved.  Is that all?  Not fully.  Although the thoughts are witnessed, the intelligence which is using them represents also a parallel center of relative consciousness - it is also the “Me.”

We can speak about two centers within us, as manifested beings: one is the Witnessing Consciousness -- a constant flow of presence, and the second is the moving self-conscious center of our personality.  When we see this clearly, there is no doubt that the thoughts, which are being witnessed, are simultaneously an indivisible part of Me, and it is Me who is thinking them!  In the case of an Enlightened being, although thoughts have a different quality, still they remain as a function of consciousness and as a functional self-relating center, which we interpret as “me.”  The absolute Me and the relative me are one.  Being and self-conscious expression are one.

The ego concept refers not only to the gross level of thinking or to the gross will.  We have  already spoken about the fact that to divide our consciousness into thinking and not-thinking is far too simplistic.  Consciousness is extraordinarily rich.  There is intuitive knowing, feeling, gentle checking and being attentive to what is happening in our consciousness and surroundings.  This movement of intelligence has a quality of self-referral which is also what we call  -- the ego. The personality without Presence is ignorance of course, but Presence without the personality is like a tree without fruit, the sun without rays or a flower without fragrance.  They are one organic whole.  When we fully understand that ego is “good,” the whole issue of eliminating it drops off by itself.  But this is not yet the end.  We are coming now to the next complicated problem: what kind of ego should we have?'

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139724
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.23.2012
07:25AM EDT 
vertical line
< Pistonhead emissions >
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139725
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Jul.23.2012
07:35AM EDT 
vertical line

egolessness, death of the ego, etc gets misinterpreted

western thinking and expectations have fallen short of eastern attempts to relay concepts

popular writers have added to the confusion

people doggedly defend popular opinion and trends

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139728
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.23.2012
01:17PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Zazen is meditation technique so you don't even pay attention to your emotions. Emotions are unreliable because they are the results of your ego, your not true self.

"
Would a mother be so unkind to her children? She stands at the door and embraces every child who walks through and then like any good mother, she lets them go. What you are demanding of yourself is unkind. Forgive me, but from my perspective it is like watching someone cut themselves over and over again. I have done what you are doing and when I discovered how cruel I was being to myself it was a shock. The sudden rush of tenderness toward myself made me rise. I suddenly realized that most humans do this to themselves and there was such an ache of compassion within me. That fence between me and everything, dissolved. My experience was not over however as my ego seized upon this experience. And then I learned that this is an ongoing process. It is virtually impossible to convey this with words, we do not have the language for this. I pray I have mot confused you. It is far wiser not to think of these things, but simply do. I will no longer respond to this as I am spinning out ideas, which are not the same. Seek a teacher, this act alone has healed many mistakes I made. I am still novice, I am still learning.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139743
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jul.23.2012
01:17PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Zazen is meditation technique so you don't even pay attention to your emotions. Emotions are unreliable because they are the results of your ego, your not true self.

"
Would a mother be so unkind to her children? She stands at the door and embraces every child who walks through and then like any good mother, she lets them go. What you are demanding of yourself is unkind. Forgive me, but from my perspective it is like watching someone cut themselves over and over again. I have done what you are doing and when I discovered how cruel I was being to myself it was a shock. The sudden rush of tenderness toward myself made me rise. I suddenly realized that most humans do this to themselves and there was such an ache of compassion within me. That fence between me and everything, dissolved. My experience was not over however as my ego seized upon this experience. And then I learned that this is an ongoing process. It is virtually impossible to convey this with words, we do not have the language for this. I pray I have mot confused you. It is far wiser not to think of these things, but simply do. I will no longer respond to this as I am spinning out ideas, which are not the same. Seek a teacher, this act alone has healed many mistakes I made. I am still novice, I am still learning.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139744
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.23.2012
01:26PM EDT 
vertical line I've just been digging potatoes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139747
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.23.2012
01:36PM EDT 
vertical line I'm gonna uh wash 'em, salt 'em and er huh I was gonna boil 'em but now I'm gonna fry 'em. Then I'm gonna eat 'em.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139752
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.23.2012
01:38PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line sounds good.  Add a little basil pepper and onions and you can call them home fries.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139754
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.23.2012
01:39PM EDT 
vertical line That's what you call 'em.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139755
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Jul.23.2012
01:43PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line That and/or tasty.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139756
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.23.2012
01:45PM EDT 
vertical line They shall not taste death.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139757
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.23.2012
09:05PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line My friend only had eggs and beer in his refrigerator.
I told him that it is not enough.
He asked me what more does he need.
I told him soup.
You gotta have soup.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139775
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jul.24.2012
01:46AM EDT 
vertical line Well the culprit and cause of all the problems and sufferings of man is the Ego. And the spiritual and holy Ego is the most dangerous of them all. LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139791
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jul.24.2012
07:25AM EDT 
vertical line Happiness is an empty fridge.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139798
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Jul.25.2012
07:02PM EDT 
vertical line On cold Mountain we never get angry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139850
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jul.25.2012
08:26PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line anger is just coiled up fear, and so it is an expression to relieve stress, but just adds more, so to subtract fear we just sit with it, before it becomes anger
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 139864
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, WAT PHO I
by Charles Newington
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s