history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 02 2014 10:13PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time, in a certain town there was a coffin maker who opened and was running a store where he sold the coffins he made himself to the customers in the neighborhood. The popuplation in the town increased day-by-day.

The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: TAX'ES
vertical line Posted on Sep.06.2012 @ 01:11PM EDT by boymonk
Misses Boymonk is pissed at me for not doing the taxes. What should I do?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Sep.06.2012
01:15PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line reach out to her
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142156
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.06.2012
01:15PM EDT 
vertical line Kick my arse.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142157
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.06.2012
05:52PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Go and do the taxes.
Your answer is simple.
Do what she ask and she won't be angry ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142171
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from simple
Sep.06.2012
06:25PM EDT 
Email simple
vertical line Do what she wants to do.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142172
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.06.2012
10:02PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "reach out to her "

She's at work but I sent her a text. She wrote back, "No she just has to open it further I'll bet." That probably doesn't make much sense without knowing the context.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142178
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.06.2012
10:03PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Kick my arse."

I don't think that will help, but thanks for asking.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142179
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.06.2012
10:04PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Go and do the taxes.
Your answer is simple.
"

As a general policy I've come to believe that it's not a good idea to do everything a woman asks.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142180
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.06.2012
10:05PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Do what she wants to do."

It's not that simple, uh, Simple.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142181
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.06.2012
10:35PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Go and do the taxes.
Your answer is simple.
"

As a general policy I've come to believe that it's not a good idea to do everything a woman asks.
"
Then don't do as she asked and have her bit..ching at you for the rest of your life.
The choice is yours to make.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142185
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from genericzen
Sep.06.2012
11:30PM EDT 
Email genericzen
vertical line what do i look like, an i ching?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142187
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from genericzen
Sep.06.2012
11:31PM EDT 
Email genericzen
vertical line you are delusional, keep practicing zazen, neither she, you, nor the taxes exist, nor does zazen.. the universe works itself out, by seeing its nonbeing
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142188
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.06.2012
11:47PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "you are delusional, keep practicing zazen, neither she, you, nor the taxes exist, nor does zazen.. the universe works itself out, by seeing its nonbeing "
(Sarcasm On) ... Yeah, listen to what he says. Take those papers and throw them out. There is no such thing as taxes. And, when they come for your sorry butt, just tell them that Zen says they don't exist. After you've spent your first night in jail for tax evasion, just remember, that he said the universe works itself out ....

(Sarcasm Off) ... you may not want to do your taxes and that is fine with the group here.
However, not doing them may put you and your family's well being in jeopardy. Seriously, just get the taxes done and be happy.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142191
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.07.2012
12:35AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "you are delusional, keep practicing zazen, neither she, you, nor the taxes exist, nor does zazen.. the universe works itself out, by seeing its nonbeing "

Sounds promising. I'll try it. Thanks!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142200
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.07.2012
01:27AM EDT 

You are delusional.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142203
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.07.2012
06:39AM EDT 
vertical line I post this to a gigantic, gaping mouth.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142218
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.07.2012
06:40AM EDT 
vertical line The answer is pre-verbal.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142219
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.07.2012
09:10PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Kick my arse."
Gladly, but sit with me a while ... so I can feel the bumps on your head ...
can add some more if you'd like ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142311
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.07.2012
10:00PM EDT 
vertical line Yes, I'm a priest and I'm ready to hear your confession.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142312
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.08.2012
09:51AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Yes, I'm a priest and I'm ready to hear your confession. "
I confess that you are no priest of mind nor a listener of evils.
With so much coming out of your keyboard, I'm surprise you spend any time at reading what others have to say. preach on and on .... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142327
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.08.2012
09:56AM EDT 
vertical line Now you made it to dry land how long will you be visiting for?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142328
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from simple
Sep.08.2012
10:29AM EDT 
Email simple
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "Do what she wants to do."

It's not that simple, uh, Simple.
"

Once you take it simple it becomes simple to you.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142333
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.08.2012
10:50AM EDT 
vertical line Oh yeah, I heard him click click click the first time.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142335
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.08.2012
12:31PM EDT 
vertical line She's still a bit cold to me. I will try to finish the tax'es today and will see if things improve.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142353
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from simple
Sep.08.2012
12:41PM EDT 
Email simple
vertical line cold or not.this is how it goes..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142354
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.08.2012
03:38PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "She's still a bit cold to me. I will try to finish the tax'es today and will see if things improve."

What you give the rest of the time is what you get back.
Try being a more loving human being .. it will make her a warmer person to be near.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142357
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.09.2012
09:50AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "She's still a bit cold to me. I will try to finish the tax'es today and will see if things improve."

Try being a more loving human being .. it will make her a warmer person to be near.
"

Or it may teach you that she cannot be warmed by anything that you do. The only way to be warmed is to BE a more loving human being.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142390
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.10.2012
10:01AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "She's still a bit cold to me. I will try to finish the tax'es today and will see if things improve."

"

Or it may teach you that she cannot be warmed by anything that you do. The only way to be warmed is to BE a more loving human being.
"
Now that was convoluted and senseless in taking what I said and re-wording it like that.
Please stop or I will call boymonk and tell him you are plagiarizing me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142438
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.10.2012
10:05AM EDT 
vertical line Taxed - in a democracy, you get to choose your oppressor.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142440
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.10.2012
07:32PM EDT 
vertical line The first noble truth is There Is Suffering. And from this unfolds the origin and then the cessation and then the path to enlightenment. I had mistaken the cessation of suffering to mean an arrival at No Suffering, which contradicts the first Noble Truth, that there is suffering. Upon the experience of my broken heart my instinct was to forever then guard that soft and tender place within me. I shoved it into the most shadowed place away from any hands that could do it harm. And that tender place began to savor the shadow, so that I began to produce art of such beauty and such pain intermixed that I was confused. Slowly I uncovered the raw and tender tissue of my heart, into the light of the world and there were such ecstasies to experience with it, the crystal path of a rain drop upon a pane of glass was like a world within a world unfolding. An unimaginable gentleness, romance and sensitivity to nuance, every detail of every moment was savored. With this sensitive “organ” I experienced my connection to all things. My embrace and integration of this human power, gave me a sense of fearlessness. I fell in love again, and my heart was broken yet again, and yet again I hid it in darkness. And what I have learned since, is to be content with its power, to not hide it any longer, to be fearless as I once was, but not within simply the bliss of this sensitive organ but also within its discomfort and pain for each are a part of one another. My sitting is an act of embracing this crucible of human suffering and instead of the poison bled from trying to suppress it, has emerged a nectar which feeds the pain of others who suffer for it is the nectar of compassion. Suffering ceases when I no longer resist suffering. The embers of this crucible feed my will to continuously practice. I lean neither toward nor away, I neither feed nor suppress this gift and my practice maintains this stance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.11.2012
12:39AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The first noble truth is There Is Suffering. And from this unfolds the origin and then the cessation and then the path to enlightenment. I had mistaken the cessation of suffering to mean an arrival at No Suffering, which contradicts the first Noble Truth, that there is suffering. Upon the experience of my broken heart my instinct was to forever then guard that soft and tender place within me. I shoved it into the most shadowed place away from any hands that could do it harm. And that tender place began to savor the shadow, so that I began to produce art of such beauty and such pain intermixed that I was confused. Slowly I uncovered the raw and tender tissue of my heart, into the light of the world and there were such ecstasies to experience with it, the crystal path of a rain drop upon a pane of glass was like a world within a world unfolding. An unimaginable gentleness, romance and sensitivity to nuance, every detail of every moment was savored. With this sensitive “organ” I experienced my connection to all things. My embrace and integration of this human power, gave me a sense of fearlessness. I fell in love again, and my heart was broken yet again, and yet again I hid it in darkness. And what I have learned since, is to be content with its power, to not hide it any longer, to be fearless as I once was, but not within simply the bliss of this sensitive organ but also within its discomfort and pain for each are a part of one another. My sitting is an act of embracing this crucible of human suffering and instead of the poison bled from trying to suppress it, has emerged a nectar which feeds the pain of others who suffer for it is the nectar of compassion. Suffering ceases when I no longer resist suffering. The embers of this crucible feed my will to continuously practice. I lean neither toward nor away, I neither feed nor suppress this gift and my practice maintains this stance. "

So, you learned how to keep your back straight and just watch your breathing. Good zazen! :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142470
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.11.2012
12:53AM EDT 
vertical line Seriously though, thank you for the writing, boymonk. A very eloquent description of much of my practice this year as well. Follow the heart, love deeply, let the heart break open, and watch as the mind opens with it, without the resistance of thoughts and ideas.

You cannot reason with the heart, when it has become ready to break wide open.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142471
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Sep.11.2012
12:57AM EDT 
vertical line

Why Lying Broken in a Pile on Your Bedroom Floor is a Good Idea. ~ Julie (JC) Peters

The Goddess of never not broken.

You know that feeling when you have just gone through a breakup, or lost your job, and everything is terrible and terrifying and you don’t know what to do, and you find yourself crying in a pile on your bedroom floor, barely able to remember how to use the phone, desperately looking for some sign of God in old letters, or your Facebook newsfeed or on Glee, finding nothing there to comfort you?

Come on, yes you do. We all do.

And there is a goddess from Hindu mythology that teaches us that, in this moment, in this pile on the floor, you are more powerful than you’ve ever been.

This past week, I have been deeply inspired by a talk I heard on the Yoga Teacher Telesummit by Eric Stoneberg on this relatively unknown Goddess from Hindu mythology: Akhilandeshvari.

This figure has snuck up inside me and settled into my bones. She keeps coming out of my mouth every time I teach, and she’s given me so much strength and possibility during a time of change and uncertainty in my own life. I wanted to unpack a little bit about who she is for those that might be, like me, struggling a little bit in that pile on the floor and wondering how the hell to get up again.

The answer, it turns out, is this: in pieces, warrior-style, on the back of a crocodile. Yee ha.

Akhilandeshvari:

“Ishvari” in Sanskrit means “goddess” or “female power,” and the “Akhilanda” means essentially “never not broken.” In other words, The Always Broken Goddess. Sanskrit is a tricky and amazing language, and I love that the double negative here means that she is broken right down to her name.

But this isn’t the kind of broken that indicates weakness and terror.

It’s the kind of broken that tears apart all the stuff that gets us stuck in toxic routines, repeating the same relationships and habits over and over, rather than diving into the scary process of trying something new and unfathomable.

Akhilanda derives her power from being broken: in flux, pulling herself apart, living in different, constant selves at the same time, from never becoming a whole that has limitations.

The thing about going through sudden or scary or sad transitions (like a breakup) is that one of the things you lose is your future: your expectations of what the story of your life so far was going to become. When you lose that partner or that job or that person, your future dissolves in front of you.

And of course, this is terrifying.

But look, Akhilanda says, now you get to make a choice. In pieces, in a pile on the floor, with no idea how to go forward, your expectations of the future are meaningless. Your stories about the past do not apply. You are in flux, you are changing, you are flowing in a new way, and this is an incredibly powerful opportunity to become new again: to choose how you want to put yourself back together. Confusion can be an incredible teacher—how could you ever learn if you already had it all figured out?

This goddess has another interesting attribute, which is, of course, her ride: a crocodile.

Crocodiles are interesting in two ways: Firstly, Stoneberg explains that the crocodile represents our reptilian brain, which is where we feel fear. Secondly, the predatory power of a crocodile is not located in their huge jaws, but rather that they pluck their prey from the banks of the river, take it into the water, and spin it until it is disoriented. They whirl that prey like a dervish seeking God, they use the power of spin rather than brute force to feed themselves.

By riding on this spinning, predatory, fearsome creature, Akhilanda refuses to reject her fear, nor does she let it control her. She rides on it. She gets on this animal that lives inside the river, inside the flow. She takes her fear down to the river and uses its power to navigate the waves, and spins in the never not broken water. Akhilanda shows us that this is beautiful. Stoneberg writes:

Akhilanda is also sometimes described in our lineage like a spinning, multi-faceted prism. Imagine the Hope Diamond twirling in a bright, clear light. The light pouring through the beveled cuts of the diamond would create a whirling rainbow of color. The diamond is whole and complete and BECAUSE it’s fractured, it creates more diverse beauty. Its form is a spectrum of whirling color.

Photo: Justin Graham

That means that this feeling of confusion and brokenness that every human has felt at some time or another in our lives is a source of beauty and colour and new reflections and possibilities.

If everything remained the same, if we walked along the same path down to the river every day until there was a groove there (as we do; in Sanskrit this is called Samskara, habits or even “some scars”), this routine would become so limited, so toxic to us that, well, the crocs would catch on, and we’d get plucked from the banks, spun and eaten.

So now is the time, this time of confusion and brokenness and fear and sadness, to get up on that fear, ride it down to the river, dip into the waves, and let yourself break. Become a prism.

All the places where you’ve shattered can now reflect light and colour where there was none. Now is the time to become something new, to choose a new whole.

But remember Akhilanda’s lesson: even that new whole, that new, colourful, amazing groove that we create, is an illusion. It means nothing unless we can keep on breaking apart and putting ourselves together again as many times as we need to. We are already “never not broken.” We were never a consistent, limited whole. In our brokenness, we are unlimited. And that means we are amazing.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Sep.11.2012
01:41AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Seriously though, thank you for the writing, boymonk. A very eloquent description of much of my practice this year as well. Follow the heart, love deeply, let the heart break open, and watch as the mind opens with it, without the resistance of thoughts and ideas.

You cannot reason with the heart, when it has become ready to break wide open.
"

Yes, oh yes, my heart has broken .  .  .  .. .. . .. . WIDE OPEB!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142473
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.11.2012
05:43AM EDT 
vertical line O jolly mito, a crack in the ploddy ploddy minb and a heart which is dangly in the meaninglybode and less and less.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142483
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.11.2012
05:51AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Yes, I'm a priest and I'm ready to hear your confession. "
I confess that you are no priest of mind nor a listener of evils.
With so much coming out of your keyboard, I'm surprise you spend any time at reading what others have to say. preach on and on .... hahaha
"

An expression of concern expressed as surprise.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 142485
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN 2
by Atelier Lzc
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s