history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Aug 28 2014 07:16PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a Vinaya master asked a Zen master:
-How should one practice Tao?
The Zen master replied:
-Eat when you are hungry, sleep when you are tired.
The Vinaya master said:
-Most people do that.
The Zen master... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: TALDUWE SOMARAMA
vertical line Posted on Sep.26.2012 @ 10:50AM EDT by starduster

*On September 25, 1959, Talduwe Somarama, a Buddhist Monk, shot and killed the Prime Minister of Ceylon:

*Allegedly drafted in to the conspiracy by Mapitigama Buddharakkitha, the chief incumbent of the Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara Temple,[1] Somarama reluctantly consented to assassinate the Prime Minister, "for the greater good of his country, race and religion".

*Although Buddharakkitha attributed Bandaranaike's failure to aggressively pursue the Nationalist reforms as the motive to eliminate him, the real reason appeared to be the Prime Minister's refusal to award business deals, in particular a shipping contract, to a company floated by the Chief Priest, Mapitigama Buddharakkitha.* (Wikipedia)

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is why I do not believe in paths, because I do not believe in leaders.

I just believe in the top of the mountain, because from there it is clear to see that all paths lead there, and why it doesnt matter which way you come.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Sep.27.2012
02:06PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line A deadly game of politics and greed ... clinging causes suffering.
I have no desire for such intrigue
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143173
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Sep.28.2012
07:17AM EDT 
vertical line

Wanting nothing, needing nothing, being nothing....

Wanting leads to needing, and needing leads to suffering.

If you dont want anything, you dont need anything, no suffering.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143205
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenmanstan
Sep.28.2012
07:31PM EDT 
Email zenmanstan
vertical line i left hell today
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143211
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Sep.29.2012
12:30AM EDT 
vertical line From my experience of the Masters I have met. They are most certainly human and subject to the conditioning or karma which remains. Even the Buddha has been illustrated to make very human mistakes after his enlightenment. The Master I met whom I was able to ask questions of, admitted to this. If you were asleep and you came to be awake, you can most certainly go to sleep again. A master as a result of their awareness can choose to rise above their frame of reference rather than be subject to their impulses as most people are. And even an aware person, can choose not to rise above, but to be unseated. Unfortunately Buddhism has filtered through many a totalitarian society, with political intrigue as convoluted as the Catholic Church. I can taste the taint of these societies on the teaching methods, but the teachings are remarkably, "clean".

I am not comfortable with the hierarchical systems which have been adopted and not fully adapted to American culture. Yet, I can see the necessity. There are people running around claiming all sorts of insight and power, and in all honesty if you have an initial insight experience, it is a powerful appeal to the ego. So that these people are not seeking to deceive, but they are deceiving themselves.
\
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143220
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Sep.29.2012
04:11AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "From my experience of the Masters I have met. They are most certainly human and subject to the conditioning or karma which remains. Even the Buddha has been illustrated to make very human mistakes after his enlightenment. The Master I met whom I was able to ask questions of, admitted to this. If you were asleep and you came to be awake, you can most certainly go to sleep again. A master as a result of their awareness can choose to rise above their frame of reference rather than be subject to their impulses as most people are. And even an aware person, can choose not to rise above, but to be unseated. Unfortunately Buddhism has filtered through many a totalitarian society, with political intrigue as convoluted as the Catholic Church. I can taste the taint of these societies on the teaching methods, but the teachings are remarkably, "clean".

I am not comfortable with the hierarchical systems which have been adopted and not fully adapted to American culture. Yet, I can see the necessity. There are people running around claiming all sorts of insight and power, and in all honesty if you have an initial insight experience, it is a powerful appeal to the ego. So that these people are not seeking to deceive, but they are deceiving themselves.
\
"

Sounds about right.  Awakening is not an ending, it is a new beginning, another chapter in an awareness that has neither beginning nor end.

Those who claim to be something special, particularly as Gurus or teachers, obviously are not.  I like Gangaji.  She laughs and says, *Im selling water down by the river.*

I feel sorry for those like Osho who are taken in by those whom they trusted to lead their sanga.  It was he who called the police on them.  They went to prison, but he was still deported due to their misdeeds.

Ultimately, there is no one to look up to just as there is no one to look down on.  Aside from the One itself, whom we all really are at the core of our existence, we are all equally unimportant.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143224
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.29.2012
07:19AM EDT 
vertical line Gardening is fresh air and good exercise.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143228
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Sep.30.2012
07:43AM EDT 
vertical line Turns your mountain to dust.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143260
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA TRIPOT OIL BURNER
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s