history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 23 2014 10:22AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Subhuti was Buddha's disciple. He was able to understand the potency of emptiness, that nothing exists except in its relationship of subjectivity and objectivity. One day, in a mood of sublime emptiness, Subhuti was resting underneath a tree... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: A DREAM OF ENLIGHTMENT
vertical line Posted on Oct.06.2012 @ 09:21AM EDT by QuantumZen
I haven't done any zen practice for too long. Naturally I felt getting further and further from realizations of zen (unity, compassion, emptiness). I am ashamed of this, but tonight I had a very strange dream. In my dream I saw crowds of people living everyday life. They were riding cars, studying, working, committing suicides, raising children and doing lots of other things people do. But I saw them all at once. Every soul there is. And I saw right through them. Through fake smiles and tired eyes. I saw lots of them suffering and only some felling amazed by something (love, universe, natural beauty...) I saw the world as an illusion. Actually there was no "me" as an object. "I" was all of them at once, "I" felt every feeling there was. And It felt good. It was blissfully calm and peaceful. By seeing and realizing mixture of suffering and happiness of the world "I" realized that all is one and one can end the suffering of all.

I have done too little practice to realize something like that myself. Where did this dream come from? And what was it?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email QuantumZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Oct.06.2012
10:02AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Its thiny and open.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143721
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.06.2012
10:47AM EDT 
vertical line No cause
No reason
Natural initiation
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143723
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.06.2012
11:00AM EDT 
vertical line

Someone please correct me on how this song goes, by Rush, I think:

*Forget about the consternation,

*Get on with the fascination,

*A world of wonder,

*The underlying theme....*

So the question would be, do you understand the underlying theme ?

The dream was clearly an insight.  The You that you were, you seem to say, was not the you you know as you.  Who was it ?  What impression do you have of who this *I* was ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143725
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Oct.06.2012
11:05AM EDT 
vertical line QZ - Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes,
Abu
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143726
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.06.2012
11:24AM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I remember being myself (as a self-aware body) in the very beginning of my dream. Then I saw a highway full of cars and "I" as an observer disappeared. There was a woman driver in front of me and then I became her and understood her completely, without any words. The next moment I was 10 different drivers at once. After a blink of an eye I was no more 10 people, but all of them. I lived every life of every human there was on earth. There were millions of experiences to experience in that mere moment of insight. I lost perception of time, because I was living and dying thousands of times at that moment. Soon all the different images of many different lives combined into something common. Unifying. I didn't see anything after that. Only thing left was this feeling of peace. And silence in my mind. Then I woke up. The feeling disappeared in a few seconds.

It is difficult to describe what it was. Both because the feeling (or insight) is in itself not describable in words and because every time I begin to describe it I end up describing some description of emptiness and illusion I read in zen compass or other books.

I find it strange that my dream stared in a very urban and modern way (cars, television and working society).
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143729
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.06.2012
12:06PM EDT 
vertical line Your dream continues.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143732
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.06.2012
04:59PM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I remember being myself (as a self-aware body) in the very beginning of my dream. Then I saw a highway full of cars and "I" as an observer disappeared. There was a woman driver in front of me and then I became her and understood her completely, without any words. The next moment I was 10 different drivers at once. After a blink of an eye I was no more 10 people, but all of them. I lived every life of every human there was on earth. There were millions of experiences to experience in that mere moment of insight. I lost perception of time, because I was living and dying thousands of times at that moment. Soon all the different images of many different lives combined into something common. Unifying. I didn't see anything after that. Only thing left was this feeling of peace. And silence in my mind. Then I woke up. The feeling disappeared in a few seconds.

It is difficult to describe what it was. Both because the feeling (or insight) is in itself not describable in words and because every time I begin to describe it I end up describing some description of emptiness and illusion I read in zen compass or other books.

I find it strange that my dream stared in a very urban and modern way (cars, television and working society).
"

I think you really have something there.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143743
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.06.2012
05:33PM EDT 
vertical line Good show, QuantumZen. What will you do now?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143746
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.06.2012
05:42PM EDT 
vertical line Dream on?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143748
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.06.2012
06:08PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line Exactly. I don't know. I wish to do more practice. I want to feel it again. Though, I am a little bit afraid to idealize the feeling I had and get attached to it. What do you think I should do?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143753
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.06.2012
06:12PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Exactly. I don't know. I wish to do more practice. I want to feel it again. Though, I am a little bit afraid to idealize the feeling I had and get attached to it. What do you think I should do?"

Just be cool. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143754
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.06.2012
06:14PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line Quote: "Dream on?"
......... Isn't it wrong to dream of being enlightened? I think I had a chance to peek through a key hole. I saw a mirtor by the wall reflecting the truth. Did I see the truth? I think I didn't now I need to practice to open the door :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143755
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.06.2012
06:16PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Dream on?"
......... Isn't it wrong to dream of being enlightened? I think I had a chance to peek through a key hole. I saw a mirtor by the wall reflecting the truth. Did I see the truth? I think I didn't now I need to practice to open the door :)
"

Opening doors is cool.

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is...something behind some very clean doors!

Dammit, Blake. Doors are not for cleaning, they're for opening and WALKING THROUGH.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143756
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.06.2012
06:20PM EDT 
vertical line Consult your pineal gland. There are no doors.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143757
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.06.2012
06:31PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line This reminded me of of a zen tale. There once lived a very wise roshi. He had many students coming for guidance every day. One student came and said "teach me how to reach the enlightement". He said "you already have reached it". The student thought for a second and said "no no no, you must practice zazen for decades and reach it step by step". The roshi looked smiling and said "oh, you are one of those".

I think I am also one of those xD
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143758
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.06.2012
06:51PM EDT 
vertical line Words may lead one of those, by the nose.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143759
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.06.2012
06:54PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "This reminded me of of a zen tale. There once lived a very wise roshi. He had many students coming for guidance every day. One student came and said "teach me how to reach the enlightement". He said "you already have reached it". The student thought for a second and said "no no no, you must practice zazen for decades and reach it step by step". The roshi looked smiling and said "oh, you are one of those".

I think I am also one of those xD
"

It's okay, man. Enjoy the ride. :-D
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143760
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Oct.07.2012
12:21AM EDT 
vertical line You said it is a dream. A dream is a dream.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143763
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.07.2012
01:42AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You said it is a dream. A dream is a dream. "

And what is a dream?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143764
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Oct.07.2012
03:51AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Runnin' Down A Dream
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143768
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Oct.07.2012
04:07AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line I had a very sim\ilar dream where the whole world was jimi hendrix. And i looked down at myself and i was wearing purple flared couderoys and a massive yellow pimp hat with a strippy shirt and all the other jimis were wearing the same. I was aware we were all the same and just copies of each other. And all of us are voodoo chile
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143769
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.07.2012
04:12AM EDT 
vertical line I knew you were Jimi all along. Sweet. :-)

A merman I should turn to be.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143772
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.07.2012
06:22AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Exactly. I don't know. I wish to do more practice. I want to feel it again. Though, I am a little bit afraid to idealize the feeling I had and get attached to it. What do you think I should do?"

When I began TM, I didnt like the idea of a mantra, which I saw as just a means of putting the internal dialogue into a loop anyway.  I already knew how to stop the internal dialogue and had been doing that since I was a baby, for internal peace in a chaotic world.

So I asked questions instead, repeating a question over and over again as I went into meditation, just as would be done with a mantra.  And I got answers.  I asked questions until I ran out of questions, and since then have just left it open as I go into meditation.

I suggest you ask questions.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143775
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.07.2012
06:58AM EDT 
vertical line Buddhism is an idea. Cars, television and working society is your dream.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143778
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.07.2012
09:42AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "Dream on?"
"

One night in this haunted Inn where I work,

I saw a ghost open one door, and then walk through another on the other side of the hall.

So just how solid is this world we live in anyway ?!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143798
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.07.2012
11:04AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Quote: "Dream on?"
"

One night in this haunted Inn where I work,

I saw a ghost open one door, and then walk through another on the other side of the hall.

So just how solid is this world we live in anyway ?!

"

What do you see now?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143805
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.07.2012
11:09AM EDT 
vertical line I don't know but it sure feels like yours.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143806
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.09.2012
05:19PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Dreaming, wishing, greed, desire, attachment, clinging,  ... it is all something to get hung up on.
Don't get hung up on it.
Do your practice or get off the crapper.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143866
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.09.2012
05:21PM EDT 
vertical line Crapper adaptor.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143867
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.10.2012
03:23AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Crapper adaptor."
The Fisher King .... the secret to the universe is taking a really good crap.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143883
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.10.2012
07:36AM EDT 
vertical line The Wounded Healer - no furtive fecal fixation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143895
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.13.2012
09:20AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Who in their right mind would want enlightenment??
Think about it. A sudden flash of understanding that changes your view of the world forever.
One becomes like the village idiot cause everything you see .. you are the only one.
Others see your views as nuts.
Why would anyone give away money and time to help others which they don't know or care about?
And then think about the blow to the ego. Enlightenment doesn't destroy the ego.
It suffers the clarity of your enlightenment. Your mind doesn't hold the worlds together.

So stop dreaming of Enlightenment.
Just practice your sitting, your awareness, and be happy that you aren't the village idiot ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143967
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.13.2012
09:59AM EDT 
vertical line Village idiot, or idiot villager. Your choice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143969
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.13.2012
01:27PM EDT 
vertical line A dream of entitlement.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143974
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Oct.13.2012
03:37PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Who in their right mind would want enlightenment??
Think about it. A sudden flash of understanding that changes your view of the world forever.
One becomes like the village idiot cause everything you see .. you are the only one.
Others see your views as nuts.
Why would anyone give away money and time to help others which they don't know or care about?
And then think about the blow to the ego. Enlightenment doesn't destroy the ego.
It suffers the clarity of your enlightenment. Your mind doesn't hold the worlds together.

So stop dreaming of Enlightenment.
Just practice your sitting, your awareness, and be happy that you aren't the village idiot ... hahaha
"

Yeah right......lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143980
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.13.2012
03:46PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line who in the RIGHT MIND wouldn't? :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143981
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Oct.13.2012
04:41PM EDT 
vertical line I think only the Left Mind wouldn't, which is someone told him so and think its a sure hit. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143985
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.14.2012
10:36AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "who in the RIGHT MIND wouldn't? :)"

You don't know what enlightenment is like.
Yet, you would turn your back upon your present life for this unknown quality of life.
Isn't the grass always greener on the other side??

Now, I'm not saying that you should practice and do Zazen.
I'm saying that you should be happy with your present situation.'
From all things outside, you will appear exactly the same.
So, just live your life and do your practice.
When and if it comes ... then you will be ready.
If you dream of enlightenment all the time ... then it will surely pass you by.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144037
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Oct.14.2012
02:42PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I am aware of common problem, when practitioners cling on the idea of enlightenment. Enlightenment for me is only a word. Even reaching enlightenment is meaningless if one doesn't use it to change the world. I just want to help people, but I first I want to help myself.

As it is written in zen scriptures:
If you see a hungry men, feed him.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144066
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.14.2012
04:55PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I am aware of common problem, when practitioners cling on the idea of enlightenment. Enlightenment for me is only a word. Even reaching enlightenment is meaningless if one doesn't use it to change the world. I just want to help people, but I first I want to help myself.

"

There it is.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144077
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from coedabgf
Oct.17.2012
07:08PM EDT 
Email coedabgf
vertical line people in samsara world, living in their foolish Dukkha's imaginary world.
living in impermanence. grasping and reatining it with tears.

coeda.
son of the LIVING TRUTH (THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE).
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144283
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.17.2012
08:13PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "people in samsara world, living in their foolish Dukkha's imaginary world.

coeda.
"

It's your world.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144292
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.18.2012
08:28AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "people in samsara world, living in their foolish Dukkha's imaginary world.

coeda.
"

That is part of the whole.
Perfect it is own way.
Driving people to seek what other things there are in this world.
Hoping that some will look inside themselves instead of outside.
So, yes ... let it be so ... Amen.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144348
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.19.2012
03:47PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "I am aware of common problem, when practitioners cling on the idea of enlightenment. Enlightenment for me is only a word. Even reaching enlightenment is meaningless if one doesn't use it to change the world. I just want to help people, but I first I want to help myself.

"

Right Understanding
  Right Thoughts
  Right Speech
  Right Action
  Right Livelihood
  Right Effort
  Right Mindfulness
  Right Concentration

The eightfold path as told in what we should do in life ... advice
Please remind me sometimes cause I forget ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.19.2012
09:02PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "I am aware of common problem, when practitioners cling on the idea of enlightenment. Enlightenment for me is only a word. Even reaching enlightenment is meaningless if one doesn't use it to change the world. I just want to help people, but I first I want to help myself.

"

Right Understanding
  Right Thoughts
  Right Speech
  Right Action
  Right Livelihood
  Right Effort
  Right Mindfulness
  Right Concentration

The eightfold path as told in what we should do in life ... advice
Please remind me sometimes cause I forget ... hahaha
"

Thank you. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.20.2012
12:18AM EDT 
vertical line

What you should do is just something to do in the meantime.

Thats why any path will do, because they are all just something to do.

When the time is right, You will know where to find yourself.

On the one hand, you have forever to work on It,

and on the other, you dont even have that.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144499
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.20.2012
08:41AM EDT 
vertical line Seek, and there you are: found.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144528
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.20.2012
11:30AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

What you should do is just something to do in the meantime.

Thats why any path will do, because they are all just something to do.

When the time is right, You will know where to find yourself.

On the one hand, you have forever to work on It,

and on the other, you dont even have that.

"

What "meantime"?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144552
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.20.2012
01:32PM EDT 
vertical line Tea Time Team.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144581
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN
by Chris Simpson
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s