history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 02 2014 12:32PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.20.2009 @ 11:07PM EDT by chontri

Bhikkhus, what is ignorance?
Not knowing suffering,
Not knowing the origin of suffering,
Not knowing the cessation of suffering,
Not knowing the path leading to... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: OPENED EYES
vertical line Posted on Oct.09.2012 @ 05:14PM EDT by QuantumZen
Every zazen guide tells to have my eyes opened while meditating. I find it contradictory and always sit with my eyes closed. Can someone explain why should I open my eyes while meditating (I get too much stimulus that way).
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email QuantumZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.09.2012
05:17PM EDT 
vertical line zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz zz
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143865
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.09.2012
07:48PM EDT 
vertical line Zazen is generally prescribed as sitting with eyes partly open and unfocused, looking downward at a wall or at the floor a few feet in front of you.

There are a number of reasons to keep eyes open while sitting zazen. One reason is that, if you want to continue practicing Zen, you will have to open your eyes at some point. If you can't practice having a sitting mind while just sitting with eyes open, how will you have a sitting mind while doing other things with eyes open?

Another reason is that it's easy to fall asleep or go into another non-awake state of consciousness while sitting with eyes closed. This is not good and not bad, but it is not zazen. And third, it is actually easier to watch your breathing and other things that come and go with eyes open, because you will be more aware.

If you feel that there is too much stimulus, that's okay! That just means that you need to keep practicing with eyes open. It's like any exercise...it takes work. No one ever worked their way up to being able to lift 50 pounds by saying, "I can't lift 10 pounds, so I should just use a machine to do it for me." Likewise, if sitting with eyes open is very difficult, do it for short periods of time and then stop. Eventually you'll be able to do it for longer periods, which will be a sign that you have trained your body and mind to be able to handle the stimulus, making your mind quieter.

Hope that helps!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143879
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Oct.10.2012
05:29AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line closing your eyes allows for imagination and thought images which are distracting. slightly open eyes fixes this issue instantly. All you see is what you are looking at !!! not more imagined thin
allowing your eyes to go slightly off focus helps to alleviate the focussing on the sight image.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143886
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.10.2012
07:08AM EDT 
vertical line Please amend ...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143890
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, WAT PHO II
by Charles Newington
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s