history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Oct 25 2014 06:49PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.08.2009 @ 10:26PM EDT by chontri

If you want to know the past,
to know what has caused you,
look at yourself in the present,
for that is the past's effect.

If you want to know your future,
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: KARUNA
vertical line Posted on Oct.13.2012 @ 12:03PM EDT by Hollow
Generally translated as compassion / the strong desire to remove stress and suffering from others

One of four brahmavihara ("sublime attitudes"), along with benevolence, joy, and equanimity, that a follower of the Path cultivates and radiates to all sentient beings

Returning to this forum after a few months' hiatus, it seems that people have taken more to debate and argument of their views over the cultivation of good qualities within themselves.

If you would like, contemplate karuna; consider how your actions may work to ease the suffering of others.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Oct.13.2012
12:31PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line I think you are 'new' here. :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143970
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.13.2012
01:23PM EDT 
vertical line Nah, he's just hernia.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143971
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Oct.13.2012
01:27PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

I know music dont substitute compassion but thats only i can give..please accept...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwt46TnKujA

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143973
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.13.2012
01:28PM EDT 
vertical line I'm all yours.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143975
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.13.2012
03:05PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.
Unless they truly come from inside of you, you are just wasting your time being that way.
So, do we cultivate those qualities or do we radiate those qualities??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143976
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.13.2012
03:20PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.
Unless they truly come from inside of you, you are just wasting your time being that way.

"

Why do you consider it a fool's errand to generate a compassionate attitude? If by doing so, one may refrain from harming oneself and others and ease suffering, the time has not been wasted at all.

The purpose of cultivating the quality of compassion within oneself is just that: if one truly wishes no harm to others, and works toward the cessation of suffering for all sentient beings, then one has the appropriate mindset for skillfully approaching that cessation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143977
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Oct.13.2012
03:27PM EDT 
vertical line Wondering if you already have remove your stress and suffering so you want to help them remove from others.

If not how can you do that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143978
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.13.2012
04:13PM EDT 
vertical line Will hollow words in a hollow debate do it?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143982
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Oct.13.2012
04:38PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Will hollow words in a hollow debate do it?"

Yeah thats right...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143984
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.13.2012
04:55PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Wondering if you already have remove your stress and suffering so you want to help them remove from others.

If not how can you do that.

"

The way to end stress and suffering is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143986
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Oct.13.2012
06:46PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.
"
2 methods that works:

1. The hearth sutra, start by wanting yourself to feel good and all the best, then do loved ones, neighbors, strangers and in the end "people you hate"

2. for spesific lack of campassion and empathi:
Imagine how you would do youre best to defend and get aquitted in "a court of law something" womever you feel has done you wrong.

night
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143987
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Oct.13.2012
06:48PM EDT 
vertical line (first one is a practise really called "cultivating loving kindness")
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143988
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Oct.13.2012
08:06PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Associates>friends>brothers
...that is that
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143991
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Oct.13.2012
08:47PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=F_oyyJe-7UY
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143992
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Oct.13.2012
09:22PM EDT 
vertical line

Someone said recently that they did not know of anyone who has become awakened n association with this site.

I have kinown of some, including Hollow, but they often seem to leave, at least for a while.

Sort of like the hiatus The Buddha took after his awakening.  Then he too came back to the fold.

Why not ?  What else have you got to do ?

It does tend to get argumentative around here.  Thats just people regurgitating their egos, its for the greater good, in the long run.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 143993
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
12:27AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Someone said recently that they did not know of anyone who has become awakened n association with this site.

I have kinown of some, including Hollow, but they often seem to leave, at least for a while.

Sort of like the hiatus The Buddha took after his awakening.  Then he too came back to the fold.

Why not ?  What else have you got to do ?

It does tend to get argumentative around here.  Thats just people regurgitating their egos, its for the greater good, in the long run.

"

From my understanding, a better goal is to stop 'regurgitating', and be unbound from those attachments that form ego.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144002
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
07:57AM EDT 
vertical line The people are your imaginary people. You have returned to teach your imaginary people.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144021
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.14.2012
10:31AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.

"

Why do you consider it a fool's errand to generate a compassionate attitude? If by doing so, one may refrain from harming oneself and others and ease suffering, the time has not been wasted at all.

The purpose of cultivating the quality of compassion within oneself is just that: if one truly wishes no harm to others, and works toward the cessation of suffering for all sentient beings, then one has the appropriate mindset for skillfully approaching that cessation.
"
I didn't say the effort was a waste of time. I said it is a fool's errand to try to imitate something that isn't you.
If compassion is truly in you then releasing it will be right.
But, trying to be someone or something that you are not ... that is a fool making an error.

For instance, when I practice .. I sit. I don't try to be enlightened.
That is not what I am. It is not who I am.
If my practice benefits me then my life may become better.
And through those changes, I may become a more compassionate man.
But, trying to be something or someone which I am not ... doesn't make sense to me.
Then, after the changes my practice allows me to make, I become a better person then the changes will allow for other changes.
This sets up the momentum for having the appropriate mindset for whatever .... hahaha

This what I see ... a man wearing Buddhist robes doesn't make him a Buddha.
Trying to be something you're not ... isn't going to make the changes you are trying  ... right.
If the changes start from inside and radiate out ... then we may have a chance at seeing the truth about our nature.

Okay, having said all this, I may be wrong in your eyes. That is okay. As long as I still have a mind ... I can change it for the better ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144035
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
10:36AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The people are your imaginary people. You have returned to teach your imaginary people.

"

I have returned to discuss Buddhism. When you have finished spouting cryptic nonsense, I would be glad to have a conversation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144036
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
10:46AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.

"

"
I didn't say the effort was a waste of time. I said it is a fool's errand to try to imitate something that isn't you.
But, trying to be someone or something that you are not ... that is a fool making an error.

But, trying to be something or someone which I am not ... doesn't make sense to me.
Then, after the changes my practice allows me to make, I become a better person then the changes will allow for other changes.
This sets up the momentum for having the appropriate mindset for whatever .... hahaha

Trying to be something you're not ... isn't going to make the changes you are trying  ... right.
If the changes start from inside and radiate out ... then we may have a chance at seeing the truth about our nature.

Okay, having said all this, I may be wrong in your eyes. That is okay. As long as I still have a mind ... I can change it for the better ... hahaha
"

You talk about compassion like it is just a thing sitting in some people, and only those people who have it should 'release' it to others. To practice compassion is not to determine what you are, or what you are not, or if you have something called compassion inside you somewhere. It is about how you choose to act, toward yourself and others. When you are mindful of the results of your actions and consciously choose that those actions will not bring anyone harm, you are acting with compassion.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144039
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
11:14AM EDT 
vertical line blah blah blah de b b blah
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144042
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
11:44AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "blah blah blah de b b blah"

Noise.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144043
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
11:52AM EDT 
vertical line Imaginary.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144044
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
12:11PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Imaginary."

I will not join you in worthless chatter.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144046
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
12:28PM EDT 
vertical line And I will contemplate your pomposity.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144047
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
12:44PM EDT 
vertical line It is not pompous to want to discuss Buddhism on a forum for Buddhism.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
12:48PM EDT 
vertical line Who said it is? And what do you want to talk about?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144049
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
12:57PM EDT 
vertical line Would you like to talk about how others could work to ease your suffering?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144050
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
01:28PM EDT 
vertical line This thread is about attitude and intention. In light of arguments that I saw, I intended to invite any reader to consider their own attitude.

What do you intend?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144052
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
01:42PM EDT 
vertical line I think you should consider your own attitude.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144053
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
01:45PM EDT 
vertical line I do. Is something wrong?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144054
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
01:47PM EDT 
vertical line I dunno, I'm non-Buddhist.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
01:55PM EDT 
vertical line What is your purpose on this forum?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
02:02PM EDT 
vertical line Your destiny.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144059
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.14.2012
04:36PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Trying to imitate those qualities is a fool's errand.

"

"

"

You talk about compassion like it is just a thing sitting in some people, and only those people who have it should 'release' it to others. To practice compassion is not to determine what you are, or what you are not, or if you have something called compassion inside you somewhere. It is about how you choose to act, toward yourself and others. When you are mindful of the results of your actions and consciously choose that those actions will not bring anyone harm, you are acting with compassion.
"

compassion (n.) Look up compassion at Dictionary.com
from L.L. com- "together" (see com-) + pati "to suffer" (see passion).

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144072
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.14.2012
04:38PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Imaginary."

I will not join you in worthless chatter.
"

You already did.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144073
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Hollow
Oct.14.2012
05:11PM EDT 
vertical line How so?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144079
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Oct.14.2012
05:14PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "You talk about compassion like it is just a thing sitting in some people, and only those people who have it should 'release' it to others. To practice compassion is not to determine what you are, or what you are not, or if you have something called compassion inside you somewhere. It is about how you choose to act, toward yourself and others. When you are mindful of the results of your actions and consciously choose that those actions will not bring anyone harm, you are acting with compassion."
I do not argue with your point. I can see its merits.
However, my point is that actions don't mean the act is without attachments.
And, working on oneself first is important ... not just compassionate acts.
But, for the sake of harmony, I bow to your view ... okay???
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144080
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Oct.14.2012
05:55PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "You talk about compassion like it is just a thing sitting in some people, and only those people who have it should 'release' it to others. To practice compassion is not to determine what you are, or what you are not, or if you have something called compassion inside you somewhere. It is about how you choose to act, toward yourself and others. When you are mindful of the results of your actions and consciously choose that those actions will not bring anyone harm, you are acting with compassion."
I do not argue with your point. I can see its merits.
However, my point is that actions don't mean the act is without attachments.
And, working on oneself first is important ... not just compassionate acts.
But, for the sake of harmony, I bow to your view ... okay???
"

You said the same thing, about the same thing, but call it something different.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144085
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Oct.14.2012
06:50PM EDT 
vertical line The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Hell is replete with good meanings.
Heaven is replete with good works.

Know yourself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144086
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Oct.14.2012
07:18PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Know yourself honestly.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 144089
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN 2
by Anonymous
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s