history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Apr 21 2014 10:41AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  The Zen Master Hoshin lived in China many years. Then he returned to the northeastern part of Japan, where he taught his disciples. When he was getting very old, he told them a story he had heard in China. This is the story: One year on... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: EVIL AND DELUSION.
vertical line Posted on Nov.05.2012 @ 10:35AM EDT by shayne
the difference between evil and delusion is the second one they dont know they are deluded. they accept it as fact. where evil knows its deluded but continues the practice.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email shayne
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.05.2012
10:49AM EDT 
vertical line warm hearts nourish cold hands
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146041
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.05.2012
10:56AM EDT 
vertical line What's the first one again?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146046
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.06.2012
05:30AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Not sure whether evil or evil people always know they're deluded. It often thinks it's in the right and perfectly justified. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146110
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.06.2012
05:48AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: Not sure whether evil or evil people always know theyre deluded. It often thinks its in the right and perfectly justified. 

Hitler truly believed he was saving the world from itself.

Over the past 40 years, Ive been treated to meditative visionary experiences leading to a conclusion that Im an angel sent to avenge the murder of Jesus by killing everyone, but also that just as Jesus was not able to save everyone, because he was crucified, I will not be able to kill everyone because I fell in love.  Some will be saved, some will be killed, but not everyone.

In one vision, I saw myself astride a flying white horse at the head of an army of angels on horses about five miles in diameter, just waiting for the time to come to descend upon Earth. In the vision, I pulled my broadsword out of its scabbard, to have a look at it, and the army bristled.  I dropped the sword back into its sheath and said, *No yet*.  Then I woke up.

Do I believe that ?  No.  I dont even want that to be true, let alone believe it.  The realistic answer is that these visions have been a serial dream, entertainment provided by the subconsious mind.

The only delusion that I want to be true is the one where I go back to the Void when I die, and spend an eternity there with the Spirit.  Now thats worth believing in.

Its all illusion, except what you believe in, which is delusion.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146111
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.06.2012
06:12AM EDT 
vertical line

My mother told me that the reason she tried to kill me as a baby was that she believed that her baby had died in an accident, a ten foot fall onto a concrete floor, and that I was an evil spirit that had taken over the body.

That accident is my first recollection, and in it I remember entering and taking over this body, as a spiritual entity.  I remember the baby, and his last thoughts as he gave up and left the body in midair.  He was very dissappointed.  He thought his older brother was finally going to play with him, but it was just a trick to make him fall.  Then I had the body.

I survived the fall.  I got up off the concrete with hardly a scratch, having tucked and rolled.  But had no memory of myself beyond the point of entering the body, and nothing to go on except what I got from the baby as he was leaving, essentially the last few seconds of his life. 

I decided to play it nonchalant until I could figure things out.  But I had no idea who anyone was, and couldnt understand a word of English, including my own name.  I was talking to myself in words in my head, but clearly that was not English.  I did not fool either my Mom or Dad.  They didnt know who I was, but they knew I was not their baby, especially after I punched my brother in the nose about half an hour later, making him cry.

Mom and I talked about it at the end of her life.  She said that as time went by she came to realize that I was not evil, but she never believed I was her son.  My father asked me once if I remembered that accident, and I recounted it for him.  He said I was right except that I thought he was in the living room when he was actually in the kitchen and saw the whole thing. 

So I remembered it the same way they did, but psychologically when people remember that far back, to the age of one, its due to a traumatic event.  Maybe it was just amnesia, or multiple personality disorder.  A weaker personality replaced by a stronger one which could survive.  I dont know, except that from that time forward my life has been like a Twilight Zone episode as I have looked for clues as to who I really am and where I came from.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.06.2012
08:44AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Truth is stranger than fiction.

Unfortunately, I can't tell the difference anymore.
I just tend to believe everything I read and hear ... ???

Maybe I need a college course on it??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146129
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.06.2012
10:12AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Truth is stranger than fiction.

"

Because of the way I grew up it is difficult for me to trust anyone.  The Spirit is the only one that I trust. 

Maybe she is a delusion, a fabrication of my subconscious mind, but she is real to me and has never done anything but love me and help me, so Im sticking with her, delusion or not.

A good delusion is better than a bad reality, and before the Spirit came along thats all I ever had.  I wont know with certainty if what she says about me joining her in the Void for an eternity is true or not until I die,  By then, obviously, that will either prove true or there will be nothing at all, or some other circumstances to deal with.  I can wait.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146135
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.06.2012
07:43PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

"

Because of the way I grew up it is difficult for me to trust anyone.  The Spirit is the only one that I trust. 

Maybe she is a delusion, a fabrication of my subconscious mind, but she is real to me and has never done anything but love me and help me, so Im sticking with her, delusion or not.

A good delusion is better than a bad reality, and before the Spirit came along thats all I ever had.  I wont know with certainty if what she says about me joining her in the Void for an eternity is true or not until I die,  By then, obviously, that will either prove true or there will be nothing at all, or some other circumstances to deal with.  I can wait.

"

A good delusion to ignore a bad reality.

If you were satisfied with that, then you would have no desire to carry on these little chats.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146161
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.07.2012
04:45AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

If you were satisfied with that, then you would have no desire to carry on these little chats.
"

"

"

Before awakening, coming to know the Spirit in the Void, my life was hard because I had made it hard through bad choices.  The Spirit helped me, and I had success in my education and career bacause of it,  Over a period of 20 years I had climbed through the ranks and was one of the foremost experts in the country in the field of veterans law.

But my personal life sucked.  I just kept getting into one bad marriage after another.  Lucky in cards, unlucky in love, I suppose.

After awakening, I no longer saw the Spirit as a *guardian angel* but came to know her as the Spirit Itself, or at least a personification that the Spirit Itself chose to be with for me.  No longer secondary, but primary.  She has led me out of my *bad life* and into a good one, and Im grateful.

I dont come here to chat with you, esoteric.  Ive asked you a number of times to stay the hell away from me, but you keep chiming in on my posts anyway.  So Ive come to accept that by coming to this site, to chat, or kill time on the night shift, or whatever, means I have to chat with you too. 

On the other hand, I enjoy shayne, because he is like the little brother I never had. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146199
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.07.2012
05:07AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Quote: "

My mother told me that the reason she tried to kill me as a baby was that she believed that her baby had died in an accident, a ten foot fall onto a concrete floor, and that I was an evil spirit that had taken over the body.

That accident is my first recollection, and in it I remember entering and taking over this body, as a spiritual entity.  I remember the baby, and his last thoughts as he gave up and left the body in midair.  He was very dissappointed.  He thought his older brother was finally going to play with him, but it was just a trick to make him fall.  Then I had the body.

I survived the fall.  I got up off the concrete with hardly a scratch, having tucked and rolled.  But had no memory of myself beyond the point of entering the body, and nothing to go on except what I got from the baby as he was leaving, essentially the last few seconds of his life. 

I decided to play it nonchalant until I could figure things out.  But I had no idea who anyone was, and couldnt understand a word of English, including my own name.  I was talking to myself in words in my head, but clearly that was not English.  I did not fool either my Mom or Dad.  They didnt know who I was, but they knew I was not their baby, especially after I punched my brother in the nose about half an hour later, making him cry.

Mom and I talked about it at the end of her life.  She said that as time went by she came to realize that I was not evil, but she never believed I was her son.  My father asked me once if I remembered that accident, and I recounted it for him.  He said I was right except that I thought he was in the living room when he was actually in the kitchen and saw the whole thing. 

So I remembered it the same way they did, but psychologically when people remember that far back, to the age of one, its due to a traumatic event.  Maybe it was just amnesia, or multiple personality disorder.  A weaker personality replaced by a stronger one which could survive.  I dont know, except that from that time forward my life has been like a Twilight Zone episode as I have looked for clues as to who I really am and where I came from.

"

Sounds like metempsychosis to me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146202
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.07.2012
06:30AM EDT 
vertical line Sounds like TV to me. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146212
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.07.2012
08:24AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

"

"

"

"

Not reincarnation. 

Maybe just just a ghost lucking into a vacant body before it was too late.

I asked the Spirit once about reincarnation and she said, *They are all my lives*.

She also told me that I had lived many lives, *Most notably as one called Gilgamesh*.  I dont know if there is any truth to that, but in looking up the name I saw an article that they had recently uncovered his tomb.  Id like to see the artifacts someday, to see if anything looks familiar.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146219
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.07.2012
11:48AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I am a believer that everyone gets something that they really needed in their lives.
Something to work on and something to help them move forward.
Whether you choose to move forward or skip it altogether, that is your choice.

Another thing is the consciousness is a strange beast and not given to easy explanations.
Well, that's not true either .... will get bakc to you on that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146239
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.08.2012
06:16AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I am a believer that everyone gets something that they really needed in their lives.
Something to work on and something to help them move forward.
Whether you choose to move forward or skip it altogether, that is your choice.

Another thing is the consciousness is a strange beast and not given to easy explanations.
Well, that's not true either .... will get bakc to you on that.
"

I think there are things you can focus on, or strive for,

but the bottom line is that you get what comes to you.

Which hopefully will be what you need.

Karma is essentially that idea. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146286
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this TRANQUILITY, HARMONY, SERENITY, PEACE
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s