history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Aug 01 2014 01:46AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZAZEN IS NOT EVEN 1% OF THE WORK IN ZEN
vertical line Posted on Nov.10.2012 @ 11:36AM EDT by leoj99
Sitting in zazen is not even 1% of the work in Zen.

But it seems many thinks that the whole practice of Zen is Zazen.

What do you think?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.10.2012
11:42AM EDT 
vertical line Playtime.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146453
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.10.2012
05:35PM EDT 
vertical line Sitting zazen is the foundation of Zen. I don't know anything but one thing about percentages. Just, when you sit, sit 100%. When you eat, eat 100%. When you sleep, sleep 100%. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, working, sleeping, helping, or drinking tea...everything you do, do it 100%.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146471
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.10.2012
09:14PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Sitting zazen is the foundation of Zen. I don't know anything but one thing about percentages. Just, when you sit, sit 100%. When you eat, eat 100%. When you sleep, sleep 100%. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, working, sleeping, helping, or drinking tea...everything you do, do it 100%. "

But is 100% sitting includes watching your thoughts rises and falls?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.10.2012
09:47PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Sitting zazen is the foundation of Zen. I don't know anything but one thing about percentages. Just, when you sit, sit 100%. When you eat, eat 100%. When you sleep, sleep 100%. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, working, sleeping, helping, or drinking tea...everything you do, do it 100%. "

But is 100% sitting includes watching your thoughts rises and falls?
"

I'm not qualified to tell you what kind of zazen is right for you. But there are some things that do not change in the different zazen for different people.

Keep your back straight, legs crossed, hands in mudra, eyes partly open looking at the floor or wall in front of you. Watch your breathing. Sit 100%.

If sitting includes thoughts, then don't attach to your thoughts. That means, don't try to stop them and don't try to chase them either. Watch your breathing.

"Master, what is Zen?"
"Attention!"
"Isn't there more than that?"
"Attention attention!"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146544
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.11.2012
01:15AM EDT 
vertical line Yeah thats about what zazen is...

Qoute:

Keep your back straight, legs crossed, hands in mudra, eyes partly open looking at the floor or wall in front of you. Watch your breathing. Sit 100%.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146569
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.11.2012
03:16PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Sitting zazen is the foundation of Zen. I don't know anything but one thing about percentages. Just, when you sit, sit 100%. When you eat, eat 100%. When you sleep, sleep 100%. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, working, sleeping, helping, or drinking tea...everything you do, do it 100%. "

The idea is that when you practice the sitting, your mind becomes more focused on the actions of your life and therefore you live your life to the fullest. When hungry, you eat ... 100% .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146711
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.11.2012
04:50PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Sitting zazen is the foundation of Zen. I don't know anything but one thing about percentages. Just, when you sit, sit 100%. When you eat, eat 100%. When you sleep, sleep 100%. Sitting, standing, walking, talking, working, sleeping, helping, or drinking tea...everything you do, do it 100%. "

The idea is that when you practice the sitting, your mind becomes more focused on the actions of your life and therefore you live your life to the fullest. When hungry, you eat ... 100% .... hahahaha
"

Yes, so...if any activity includes thoughts, then don't attach to your thoughts. That means, don't try to stop them and don't try to chase them either. Watch your breathing. And if possible, keep your back straight.

Walking, standing, driving a car, listening and talking...keep your back straight and watch your breathing, and don't attach to thoughts. That's Zen practice.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146728
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.11.2012
04:53PM EDT 
vertical line The idea is ... yes ... so the idea is ...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146730
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.11.2012
05:17PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "The idea is ... yes ... so the idea is ..."

Yes...still an idea until practiced to the point of no idea.

Wishing you a straight back and healthy breathing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146741
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Jonno1
Nov.12.2012
04:23AM EDT 
vertical line Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146804
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
04:36AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste"

Welcome, Jonno. Yes, sitting-mind is not just for sitting. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146809
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.12.2012
04:39AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste"

Well technically speaking zazen is sitting meditation.
Mindfulness is part of everyday living Zen..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146812
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
04:41AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste"

"

The mind can sit zazen, even when the body is washing dishes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146813
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.12.2012
04:43AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste"

"

"

Are you sure it is sitting? lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146814
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
05:24AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Hi all.i tend to see Zazen as not just sitting on ones cushion for however long, but rather practicing mindfulness throughout all of ones life, even as Thich Nhat Hanh says "when washing the dishes".If you are in mindfulness you are also in Zazen. Love to all Namaste"

"

"

Are you sure it is sitting? lol
"

Try and see.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146815
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
07:10AM EDT 
vertical line 99 - 1% short of a physics joke.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146821
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.12.2012
09:35AM EDT 
Email Avisitor

The clarity one has in sitting is cultivated in one's daily life .... hahaha
Yes, true is all aspects and views ... only I hadn't a clue to what I was saying ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146865
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
09:36AM EDT 
vertical line Don't worry, just throw your pizza on the barbecue.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146867
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.12.2012
11:36AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "99 - 1% short of a physics joke."

Wow.. how did you figure that out?.... hahaha.,,,,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146886
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
11:49AM EDT 
vertical line But with more cheese.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146890
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this JAPANESE SCHOOL - CALLIGRAPHY
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s