history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Aug 27 2014 09:07AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the priest Kan-feng:
-Bhagavats in the ten directions got one straight road to Nirvana. I dare to ask where that road is?
Kan-feng lifted up his staff, drew a line in the air, and said:
-Here it is.
more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: CATCH 22
vertical line Posted on Nov.11.2012 @ 04:06AM EDT by starduster

The "Catch-22" is that "anyone who wants to get out of combat duty isn't really crazy."[3] Hence, pilots who request a mental fitness evaluation are sane, and therefore must fly in combat. At the same time, if an evaluation is not requested by the pilot, he will never receive one and thus can never be found insane, meaning he must also fly in combat.

Therefore, Catch-22 ensures that no pilot can ever be grounded for being insane even if he is. (Wikipedia)

---------------------------------------

In the Movie Catch-22, the basic premise is that you cant be crazy if you think you are crazy, because if you were really crazy you wouldnt know you are crazy.

In Zen, you cant be delusional if you think you are delusional, because if you were really delusional you wouldnt know you are delusional.

So I say, its all illusion, except what you believe in, which is delusion.  Knowing that should enable you to pick your desusions carefully.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.11.2012
08:30AM EDT 
vertical line Presence ... NOW - first & last & always new, as it was in the beginning without end, so shall it be in the end without beginning. No yesterday, no tomorrow, no snafu, no foldirah, as it was ten thousand years ago, as it is ten thousand years hence.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146622
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.11.2012
03:08PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I am ...  therefore ... I will die .... no catch there ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146707
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.12.2012
08:04AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Yes.  If you mean delusional in the absolute sense then it follows that if you think you are totally delusional you are totally enlightened. Difficult to see how someone totally delusional could be aware.  Then, no one is totally delusional, except perhaps a complete madman.  Partially delusional, yes.

It makes sense in a way in that if you are totally aware of every remnant or trace of delusion in your mind/psyche, then you are on the brink of being enlightened or are enlightened.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146832
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
08:07AM EDT 
vertical line That maybe so, but it's not Catch-22.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146834
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
08:11AM EDT 
vertical line "There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146835
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
08:19AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Yes.  If you mean delusional in the absolute sense then it follows that if you think you are totally delusional you are totally enlightened. Difficult to see how someone totally delusional could be aware.  Then, no one is totally delusional, except perhaps a complete madman.  Partially delusional, yes.

It makes sense in a way in that if you are totally aware of every remnant or trace of delusion in your mind/psyche, then you are on the brink of being enlightened or are enlightened.
"

Thinking delusional is still delusional.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146836
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
08:20AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: ""There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"

No one in this universe can make you fly an airplane if you refuse.

Except yourself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146838
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
08:24AM EDT 
vertical line Catch-22.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146839
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.12.2012
08:26AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Quote: "That maybe so, but it's not Catch-22."

OK. It's Catch 23 or non catch 22.  Whatever, I thought it was an insight ha ha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146843
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
08:27AM EDT 
vertical line Catch-22 - it's a great book.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146844
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.12.2012
08:31AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Quote: "Catch-22 - it's a great book. "

I believe you. I'll add it to my list of great books I've never read all the way but started.

And that must be the 22nd time you've caught me out (not that I'm counting).
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146846
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
08:36AM EDT 
vertical line I have re-read Catch-22 on a number of occasions.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146848
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.12.2012
08:59AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Presence ... NOW - first & last & always new, as it was in the beginning without end, so shall it be in the end without beginning. No yesterday, no tomorrow, no snafu, no foldirah, as it was ten thousand years ago, as it is ten thousand years hence. "

Si, just be....

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146852
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
09:01AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Presence ... NOW - first & last & always new, as it was in the beginning without end, so shall it be in the end without beginning. No yesterday, no tomorrow, no snafu, no foldirah, as it was ten thousand years ago, as it is ten thousand years hence. "

Si, just be....

"

Just be what?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146853
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.12.2012
09:03AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: ""There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"

Except yourself.
"

Sure, you could always kick and scream like a little girl,

as they haul you away to the stockade.

Sailors dont want to go to the brig because it is run by Marines.

Being a Sailor at the mercy of Marines is not a good idea.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146854
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Nov.12.2012
09:47AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Quote: ""There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"

Except yourself.
"

Sure, you could always kick and scream like a little girl,

as they haul you away to the stockade.

Sailors dont want to go to the brig because it is run by Marines.

Being a Sailor at the mercy of Marines is not a good idea.

"

Is it worse than flying a dangerous mission in an airplane?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146869
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.12.2012
10:34AM EDT 
vertical line In Every Dream Home A Heartache
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 146881
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHIST MONKS IN TIBET
by Flip Chalfant
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s