history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Sep 22 2014 02:12PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Ryokan, a Zen master, lived the simplest kind of life in a little hut at the foot of a mountain. One evening a thief visited the hut only to discover there was nothing to steal. Ryokan returned and caught him. "You have come a long way... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ZEN TALKS
vertical line Posted on Nov.17.2012 @ 03:37AM EDT by leoj99
Zen Talks.

I have heard so many zen talks on Youtube.
I have read long postings in Zen Forums too.

My observations are that they are long and they use highly technical words and even strange sanskrit words. It seems to me they are all talking about something very important by expounding and expounding about the subject matter. It seems to me they have said many things.
But in spite of all the long talks they haven't said something. Nothing substantial was said.

I have tried on occasions on zen forums to ask what was they really saying and explain it in very simple terms but I never got a decent answer. Most of the time it seems they just ignored me.

But wonder of wonders many of them are praising each other. They even imply that what was said was a great wisdom.

But honestly to me there was nothing said. Am I missing some important points in Zen Forum postings...?

Wondering if some people could enlighten me.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.17.2012
07:23AM EDT 
vertical line Tweet it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147121
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.17.2012
09:19AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Enlighten you??
Who will enlighten me?? ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147134
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.17.2012
09:32AM EDT 
vertical line Zen talks, nobody listens.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147136
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.17.2012
11:22AM EDT 
vertical line Yeah imagine all the Zen talks around. I think they are even more numerous than Bible talks.. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147145
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Nov.17.2012
12:17PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line That opposite to my experience. I also have listened to hundreds of zen talks and the most amazing thing about them was their simplicity.

"The greatest teaching in Buddhism is:
bwaaaheeeaaaarraaawwaaa (that is supposed to be a nonsense of a sound the teacher makes"

or

"There are four noble truths:
first truth is dukkha, or the truth of suffering
second truth is... oh I forgot it, look them up in a book"

not paying attention to complex Sanskrit words is the idea of these talks :) Maybe you came across some suggestive pseudobuddhism.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147148
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.17.2012
12:57PM EDT 
vertical line Ventriloquial.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147149
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.17.2012
01:26PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line If u understand u do.

The logic centre of the brain is also closely connected to the speech centre.

To describe a totality one needs more then the limited scope offered by words. On zen guide I am limited to words. How can Anyone show anyone anything ?

If a person was to describe a experience and the other person did not understand through having had a experience which relates(was there a point?) and if the person already had understood is there any point in explaining ? (teaching them how to suck eggs) what they already know?

Unfortunately zenguide is very limited in it's communication, and some would expect to be able to communicate a truth considered frightening at best by most people, I wonder about the success of such a idea.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147151
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.17.2012
01:30PM EDT 
vertical line It's limited to dummies.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147152
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN 2
by Anonymous
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s