history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Oct 20 2014 01:55PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day, a monk traveled into the mountain where Gensha Shibi resided
to see the Zen master and study Zen with him. The monk said to Gensha:
-I am a new comer, please be kind to tell me where I can enter the Zen gate.
Gensha... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: OF LIFE AND DEATH
vertical line Posted on Nov.19.2012 @ 11:25AM EDT by QuantumZen
Brother of my best friend commited a suicide this summer. It shocked all of us, but I tried to help my friend as much as I could. I was telling him that we shouldn't fear death, as there is no death or life. These are just social envelopes, names. There is no you, me or other so there is no one to die in the first place. It helped him, it helped me as well. I believe in the words I said, I sense them as truth. I don't fear death (or life for that matter) and yet, every night before going to sleep I watch funeral of his brother happen again in my mind. I remember how it was for us all. I am neither saddened by it, nor scared. It just reapears in my mind. What shall I do? I think this is how attachment to one's mind work. Mind shows you pictures of past or future and you suffer. I don't, as I understand the cause, and yet I wonder how to stop it? Do I need to in the first place? Maybe just let everything flow?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email QuantumZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.19.2012
11:37AM EDT 
vertical line Perhaps you need to acknowledge your grief.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147317
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Nov.19.2012
01:27PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I thought about it. I don't feel it, I don't get memories during day, only when I go to sleep. Just for a minute. Maybe it shocked mu subcontious more than I know.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147318
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.19.2012
03:56PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I'm sorry for your loss. Friends or relative of friends can impact us in ways we don't understand.
However, it is the emotional component that gives memories the power to haunt us or to taunt us.
Remove the emotional component by coming to an understanding or releasing it through therapy .... or how ever you want to ...
Do you need to remove it?? It is part of what makes us ... us.
There is no need to remove your memories.
Just reach an understanding of the past and live in the present. Move on.
Yeah, words easier said than done. I know.

My advice is that these memories will lessen in intensity if we let it go.
Time wounds all heals ... or vicesa versa
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147319
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.21.2012
09:33AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i feel for you and the family,

What is it that upsets you, is it the death or the reminder of mortality (to u) or the missing of a friend (which is our personal loss because 'my' friend is gone and i can not see him any more).

Everyone handles death differently in a intensely personal way, you will be ok.
A friend of mine whilst giving me advice over my own brothers untimely death (if there is such a concept) said 'the loss is never filled you just kinda learn how to deal with it better over time'
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147469
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA
by Hugh Sitton
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s