history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Apr 19 2014 10:47AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.13.2009 @ 07:45PM EDT by chontri
The way toward liberation is to train yourself to live in the present
without wanting to become anything. Give up becoming this or that,
live without cravings, and experience... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: DO YOU CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING?
vertical line Posted on Nov.22.2012 @ 09:13PM EDT by zenisin
Do you Celebrate Thanksgiving? How do you feel this coincides with your Zen Buddhism?

This year I did not celebrate Thanksgiving and it felt liberating. I don't see my family of origin much, one does not choose where they are born. Friends can be more like family. I think Thanksgiving in some ways celebrates the genocide committed against Native Americans and there are also issues with the nuclear family being oppressive. Some families of origin may be more receptive to Zen than others.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email zenisin
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Nov.22.2012
10:22PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Weak Tea
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147684
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenisin
Nov.22.2012
10:29PM EDT 
Email zenisin
vertical line weak tea?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147685
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.22.2012
10:30PM EDT 
vertical line Not really. But leftovers are good enough for me..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147686
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jaigon
Nov.22.2012
11:13PM EDT 
Email jaigon
vertical line I find American thanksgiving to be too close to Christmas (if you celebrate that) Canadian Thanksgivingis on October.

I agree about Native genocide, though it is a nice excuse to just be with family
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147687
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from shayne
Nov.22.2012
11:55PM EDT 
Email shayne
vertical line i had a bologna sandwich.

everyday we should be thankful for food......that is provided to us.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147689
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.23.2012
07:14AM EDT 
vertical line

Im here tonight, on my day off, working Thanksgiving, as I will also for Xmas and New Years Eve,

so that those with families can be with their families over the holidays.

Im an old bachelor, with no family to speak of.  Im a distant relative to most of them, except a cousin up in BC, and Id just as soon keep it that way. 

Its funny that hes an adopted half brother, but hes closer to all of the rest of the family than I am, even though hes not related to them at all by blood.

The only holiday that I celebrate is Halloween.  I love that one !!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147733
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.23.2012
09:06AM EDT 
vertical line The last temptation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147752
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenisin
Nov.26.2012
08:28AM EDT 
Email zenisin
vertical line

I think its great so many of you don't celebrate Thanksgiving.  I didn't this year either.  I haven't had a very good week this week.  Halloween was better and I remember other times in my life that have been more joyous.  I am grateful for the things in my life I don't have to suffer for.  I think we all give one another and sense of belonging and faimly.  I hope you all find happiness in your own way this season. 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147886
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.26.2012
10:24AM EDT 
vertical line

Probably the most iconic pictures of Thanksgiving are those painted by Norman Rockwell.

What is ironic is that he was not a very good family man, by all reports.  He was depressed, reclusive, and irritable with his children.  He had a studio in a building outside the house, and rarely left it.  His psychiatrist said of him, * ...he painted his happiness, but did not live it.*

Compensatory behavior is very common.  He grew up in New York City, but painted the country life, etc etc.  If we look at our own lives, we may see that much of what we have done has been to compensate for something else.  In my case I know this to be true.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147892
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.26.2012
10:29AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Probably the most iconic pictures of Thanksgiving are those painted by Norman Rockwell.

What is ironic is that he was not a very good family man, by all reports.  He was depressed, reclusive, and irritable with his children.  He had a studio in a building outside the house, and rarely left it.  His psychiatrist said of him, * ...he painted his happiness, but did not live it.*

Compensatory behavior is very common.  He grew up in New York City, but painted the country life, etc etc.  If we look at our own lives, we may see that much of what we have done has been to compensate for something else.  In my case I know this to be true.

"

"

In my own case, I was a juvenile delinquent (on probation from age 5 thru 18) to compensate for being an abused child; then when I got out on my own I became a workaholic to make up for having been a junenile delinquent; then after awakening I retired and became semi-retired to compensate for having been a workaholic; and now what?  I dont know.  Maybe I will become a family man to fill that void.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 147893
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, PHAN, THAILAND
by Mark Standen
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s