history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 02 2014 12:17AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  On one occasion, the Buddha said to the monks this:
"No other form do I know, O monks, that so persists in obsessing the mind of a man as the form of a woman.
The form of a woman persists in obsessing the mind of a man.

"No... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT DOES ENLIGHTENMENT FEEL LIKE?
vertical line Posted on Nov.29.2012 @ 05:50AM EDT by aqwsxz1
Enlightenment is generally described as a state of bliss, joy, love, compassion, flow, etc etc etc. That's all well and good, but I'd like details. Is it permanent, at least in the sense that it lasts all your life? Does it fluxuate between varying degrees of intensity? How does it feel when you're sitting on the toilet or doing some other mundane thing? Just how blissful is it? No Zen master I've even seen has ever appeared to be ecstaticly happy. If it's a more general feeling of contentment, then why not just say so instead of calling it bliss?

I have become self-realised but nobody told me that there was a difference between self-realisation and Nirvana. I still feel the dull emptiness that dogs human life. I know exactly what I am and still I feel nothing. What am I missing here?

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email aqwsxz1
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
06:03AM EDT 
vertical line What's it like to be you? What exactly are you?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148033
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
06:27AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line It feels like empty nothing to be "me", the "Self", whatever you want to call it. It's boring, it feels like a waste and I'm tired of it. It's not an enjoyable, peaceful feeling. 

Enlightenment is supposed to cause bliss. I do not feel bliss. That's all I know.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148037
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
06:37AM EDT 
vertical line From what I've read, enlightenment seems to be a fashion accessory in this forum: the new black.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148040
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
06:39AM EDT 
vertical line An endarkenment gag.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148041
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.29.2012
06:49AM EDT 
vertical line

Youre not missing anything. 

Awakening does not change who you are, just your perspective.

I was not a nice guy before awakening.  I was very ambitious.  I was headed for the top, and God help anyone who got in my way.  Ive got a dark side that makes Ghengis Kahn look like a brownie scout.  I saw a picture of him standing next to a pile of heads he had cut off, and only thought, *sloppy work*, as they were not neatly stacked.

Im still not a nice guy.  But Im no longer ambitious.  I am more generous and compassionate because no one is in my way.  I am alive while living, and then I am going home to the Void.

The actual experience of awakening was like dying, and then coming back to life.  The only *bliss, joy, love, compassion, flow, etc* that have come from that is out of the love that I have gained for the Spirit, and that I have felt from her since then.   

Whoever, or whatever, she is, Im not entirely sure.  Others seem to have their own version of the same thing.  Id say more than anything, I have peace from it.  And I know too that she is a creation, like me, of the Universal Mind, the Original Self, essentially how the Self chooses to be with my little self, myself. 

Thats what is different for me.  For anyone else, I dont know.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148045
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
06:49AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line I'm sorry Joe Chip but I'm not finding your replies helpful.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148044
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.29.2012
06:51AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I'm sorry Joe Chip but I'm not finding your replies helpful."

What, you no lika *Chips Quips* ?!

They are an art form in themselves. 

And he is a top notch writer, when he feels like it.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148047
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
06:54AM EDT 
vertical line Now I know what it feels like.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
07:03AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line One day I thought I was Mr. My Name, then I was told I was the Universe. After meditating upon this for several months I finally "got" it. I was struggling to answer why I thought I was my ego while pretending I was the ego. I was playing the role of a fictional character trying to understand why he didn't feel fictional. The answer of course was that I was the Self all along, hiding in the background. 

Self-realisation. But no bliss. Bliss is an emotion, a feeling. And to feel you need a brain. Something must happen that activates some part of the brain.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148050
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.29.2012
07:04AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "Now I know what it feels like."

Osho was talking about his enlightenment when suddenly the light went out, and then they came back on again.

He said, *Thats it.  Thats what enlightenment is like.  The lights go out, and then they come back on again.*

For me, complete darkness in the Void, nothingness, for about 15 minutes, first as the One, and then as myself there with the One. 

For others, not so.  One fellow told me he walked for about 20 minutes in full daylight without even realizing it before essentially *coming back to himself*.

Its a very unique experience, tailored just for you.  What did you experience ?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148051
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
07:12AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line I find I have a distaste for vagueries and mystical talk. There is no reason that enlightenment cannot be discussed clearly and concisely. Enlightment exists, it can be achieved, so say as much. Meditation has very clear, detailed instructions. Why shouldn't enlightenment? I don't want to play games - I'm trying to end them. Maya is not a desirable state to be in and there is absolutely no reason to prolong one's stay there. 

If you are enlightened, if you do genuinely feel bliss or something like it as a continual experiencing, then please. Share it.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148053
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
07:21AM EDT 
vertical line Good luck.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148055
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Nov.29.2012
07:33AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEGkhzvZRY
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
07:37AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line Emotions are reactions to external phenomena. Something scary happens, you feel fear. So, I suspect that Nirvana is a state of continual reaction. Now of course that begs the question "A reaction to what?" Well, the only thing that actually is constant - and is therefore continually available as something to be reacted to - is the Self. Existance. Life. The Eternal Now. Life itself becomes the cause of bliss.

It's a nice idea, but obviously everybody is continually experiencing life yet almost none of us would report feeling a state of bliss as a result. Quite the opposite, usually. Something has to happen. Enlightenment. Whether enlightenment activates, uncovers or creates bliss ( all very different) I don't know. Is bliss there, but hiding? Or must I personally will it into being?

Gah! Why do no guru's talk about this? For them the buck seems to stop with self-realisation. Well, while it is obviously a vital step, it is ultimately just an understanding and acceptance of a dry, demonstrable fact - that you are the Universe. It doesn't FEEL like anything.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
07:41AM EDT 
vertical line Feel better?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148058
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
07:49AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line Quote: "Feel better?"

I laughed. For me, that usually means it's right, the way a joke dawns on you as you realise. Yes, I imagine it is a case of simply feeling better. Still there are unanswered questions though. Keep firing away, maybe I'll get it. I don't care where enlightenment comes from - a spiffy saying, a YouTube video, toasted almonds - so long as it happens.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148059
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.29.2012
08:00AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "I find I have a distaste for vagueries and mystical talk. There is no reason that enlightenment cannot be discussed clearly and concisely. Enlightment exists, it can be achieved, so say as much. Meditation has very clear, detailed instructions. Why shouldn't enlightenment? I don't want to play games - I'm trying to end them. Maya is not a desirable state to be in and there is absolutely no reason to prolong one's stay there. 

If you are enlightened, if you do genuinely feel bliss or something like it as a continual experiencing, then please. Share it.
"
you can only discuss anything with one part of the brain, (the speach centre, and logic centre) If you are western you will find you think with a aristotle-like logic paridyme (i realise this is spelt wrong corect away if you like) and have been trained to. what this means is that you can never catch-up with the tthoughts in totality if they are structured alone the logical manner. it simply is only a part of your brain. this is why the cryptic messages. trying to lead you away from it.

i can personally assure you there is more, but i would not be able to explain it to you unless you hae noticed it already nd if you had you would not be asking. keep going, push and push.

who is it that is self ralised ?

Read the diamond sutra, until you understand it :) and then throw it away
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148060
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
08:09AM EDT 
vertical line In the beginning was the Word

reaching from edge to edge
reaching from screen to screen

And in the end comes the Apocalypse
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148062
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Zeniscool
Nov.29.2012
08:39AM EDT 
Email Zeniscool
vertical line

I'm not enlightened.  Maybe I will get enlightened here, has anyone else ever got enlightened here?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148070
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
08:44AM EDT 
vertical line Have they bollocks ? Woofity-Woof.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148071
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.29.2012
10:08AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "

I'm not enlightened.  Maybe I will get enlightened here, has anyone else ever got enlightened here?

"

If I ever did then I would never tell ... haha

I believe the Op has actually experienced Kensho and not actually reach full realization.
With Kensho, it is only a glimpse of our true nature. Then, the ego comes roaring back and what a toll it takes!!
At that point it is so helpful to have a teacher who can guide you through the rough patch.
May be you will see that realization is only the first step through the gateless gate.
.... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148077
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Nov.29.2012
10:33AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy

"

Yep, I got enlightened here the very first time I read Joe Chip's post.

So he is very helpful (some of the time).

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148082
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.29.2012
11:03AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Feel feet in the air, standing on as in, without, a spare. Contact disestablishment.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148085
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
11:10AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line Quote: "Feel feet in the air, standing on as in, without, a spare. Contact disestablishment. "

Sounds like you're a fan of the ol' LSD. Hey, whatever works.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148087
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.29.2012
11:19AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line 19 ? 20 ? 12 ? 21 ?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
11:21AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line It's just frustrating. I feel I suffer yet I feel I have let go of all attachments. So I conclude that I must have missed a 'step' or got caught up in some nuisance logical snare, including the possibility that the very feeling itself is part of the trap. It sickens me to think that I might have to spend months or years or decades living a pointlessly illusory nothing, simply because I am missing some little detail. It shouldn't have to be this hard. It's my right to be free, damn it. 

And yes, yes, I know that everything I just said is illusory, but that it is also not illusory and half illusory and monkey glass bookshelf. Prrrrrrrrrfffffft.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148089
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Nov.29.2012
11:28AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line ready willing and... forgetful
drip drop drrrunder
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148092
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from aqwsxz1
Nov.29.2012
11:30AM EDT 
Email aqwsxz1
vertical line Quote: "ready willing and... forgetful
drip drop drrrunder
"

You know, you should really write a book.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.29.2012
11:35AM EDT 
vertical line The punch line approaches.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148095
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Nov.29.2012
12:10PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line A question come to my mind.How this grammar occur?Old people didn't know the grammar.That much people begin to speak same language\grammar.This is very interesting.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.29.2012
01:33PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Enlightenment ... then what??? .... hahaha
In truth, if it were deep true enlightenment then you would know which way to go ....
The next step presents itself.
Living a life of illusory is an illusion in itself.
You're in a trap ... break free .... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148105
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.29.2012
01:36PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Should we pity the man who reaches enlightenment to see he has only years or decades of living a illusory life??

The world is there ... You are there ... what else do you need??
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148106
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Nov.29.2012
04:30PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line A pinch of salt?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148109
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Nov.29.2012
06:10PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line If your feelings are real there are infinite ways of Being (enlightened). If you truly are, you'll certainly Be. Is self-inquiry the First priority? The First.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jaigon
Nov.29.2012
06:54PM EDT 
Email jaigon
vertical line I think most people were at some point in time, one who was grasping for enlightenment like a reward you work towards.  I was there.  I used to read lots of Bhuddist, Vedanta and Yogic scriptures, practice various kundalini meditations, yoga and try some aesetic practices.

I still have not achieved enlightenment, but I have come a long way.  It is all really just a game, and once you've played enough games you will reach the point where you laugh at the whole ordeal and know what it is.  I still have yet to play my fair share of games!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148113
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Nov.29.2012
07:08PM EDT 
Email so_teh

Quote: "Now I know what it feels like."

Osho was talking about his enlightenment when suddenly the light went out, and then they came back on again.

He said, *Thats it.  Thats what enlightenment is like.  The lights go out, and then they come back on again.*

For me, complete darkness in the Void, nothingness, for about 15 minutes, first as the One, and then as myself there with the One. 

For others, not so.  One fellow told me he walked for about 20 minutes in full daylight without even realizing it before essentially *coming back to himself*.

Its a very unique experience, tailored just for you.  What did you experience ?

"

"all forgotten and empty"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148116
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from starduster
Nov.29.2012
07:14PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I find I have a distaste for vagueries and mystical talk. There is no reason that enlightenment cannot be discussed clearly and concisely. Enlightment exists, it can be achieved, so say as much. Meditation has very clear, detailed instructions. Why shouldn't enlightenment? I don't want to play games - I'm trying to end them. Maya is not a desirable state to be in and there is absolutely no reason to prolong one's stay there. 

"

"

You can say so, and should, at least honestly if asked.

But only another awakened person will understand what you have to say about it.

And they are already awakened, so you cant help them, or they you.

When the first white explorers returned to the East and told people about the Grand Canyon, no one would believe them.  Only those who had been on the expedition and had seen it themselves would believe it.

Now Grand Canyon national park receives over 1 million visitors per year.

Maybe someday everyone will be awakened.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148118
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Nov.29.2012
08:03PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "A pinch of salt?"

Yes, thank you for reminding me ...hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148120
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Nov.29.2012
10:37PM EDT 
vertical line Enlightenment feels really good. Like, really really good!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148126
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Nov.30.2012
01:22AM EDT 
vertical line I think I can stop thinking.. and just eat watermelon... so sweet and very yummy, my tummy is happy.

That is not enlightenment but I am very relaxed. No problem arises. Bingo and bingo again and again. It is like I have won in the casino or even better.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148137
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.30.2012
01:30AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "I think I can stop thinking.. and just eat watermelon... so sweet and very yummy, my tummy is happy.

That is not enlightenment but I am very relaxed. No problem arises. Bingo and bingo again and again. It is like I have won in the casino or even better.
"

two fat ladies, ......bingo!!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148139
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.30.2012
07:13AM EDT 
vertical line Enlightenment is child's play.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148153
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Chryseis
Nov.30.2012
07:16AM EDT 
vertical line

Quote: "I think I can stop thinking.. and just eat watermelon... so sweet and very yummy, my tummy is happy.

"

wtf

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148154
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Nov.30.2012
09:19AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line haha poets understand poets, (chip, 2012). :) 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148194
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Nov.30.2012
09:38AM EDT 
vertical line 100% fruit ... hah
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148196
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.01.2012
12:55AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Allow me to reflect back on my exaltation...

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It was not enlightenment.

Thank you and namaste _/\_
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148221
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Dec.01.2012
10:42AM EDT 
vertical line a-pukka-pukka-pukka-lips
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148232
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from floating_a
Dec.01.2012
04:00PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Enlightenment is child's play. "

Joe got it
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 148237
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this EIGHT VIRTUES
by George Caso
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s