history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Oct 21 2014 03:04AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Sep.11.2009 @ 10:04PM EDT by chontri
Once the brahmin Janussoni approached the Buddha... and spoke to him thus:

"It is said, Master Gotama, 'Nibbana is directly visible.' In what way, Master
Gotama, is Nibbana... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: MOMENT TO MOMENT AWARENESS
vertical line Posted on Dec.30.2012 @ 09:55PM EDT by oldwinemak
so lets get into it then.. leo says its all about stopping your thoughts..but leo how long can you hold your breath/ leo..what happens after you stop thought..what happens next?.... how do you function after ? do you continue the no thought idea? what comes right after no thought? another no thought? advise owm
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email oldwinemak
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.30.2012
10:56PM EDT 
vertical line No need to hold your breath. Thoughts are not connected with breath.
Well you just do it if you can stop your thoughts. You will know what happens. And what happens next... But I think you cannot stop your thought even a minute and you go back to thinking again.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149031
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from oldwinemak
Dec.31.2012
03:08AM EDT 
Email oldwinemak
vertical line the breath and thought are interconnected if you havent realised this yet..then you are not an avid meditator.maybe you havent as yet sat zazen..you make the glaring statement that stopping thought is enlightenment..your own words..yet you cant tell us what happens when this oocurs...i really feel leo my friend you should check yourself and understand what zazen is and its true purpose.. THE BREATHLESS STATE.....i will shortly within the next few days expound heavily about what all the fuss is about and hopefully we can all see what the Buddha had in mind... the differing levels of samadhi..instant enlightenment..the whole ball of wax.. thanks...by the way..its called MOMENT TO MOMENT AWARENESS...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149035
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Dec.31.2012
08:22AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g490rItijo

Happy New Year-

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149038
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Dec.31.2012
08:52AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "the breath and thought are interconnected if you havent realised this yet..then you are not an avid meditator.maybe you havent as yet sat zazen..you make the glaring statement that stopping thought is enlightenment..your own words..yet you cant tell us what happens when this oocurs...i really feel leo my friend you should check yourself and understand what zazen is and its true purpose.. THE BREATHLESS STATE.....i will shortly within the next few days expound heavily about what all the fuss is about and hopefully we can all see what the Buddha had in mind... the differing levels of samadhi..instant enlightenment..the whole ball of wax.. thanks...by the way..its called MOMENT TO MOMENT AWARENESS..."

Have a cup of tea.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149039
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Dec.31.2012
04:04PM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line

We all have about 15 000 thoughts a day whether we meditate or not.  Perhaps advanced beings like Leoj have only 15 thoughts a day (like 'shall I eat water melon or ice cream or take a nap?  etc)  but he more than makes up for it by posting about 15 000 topics a day on ZenGuide instead. lol

For some sensible and 'enlightened' advice about 'stopping thoughts' in meditation, and whether it's realistically possible or even desirable, some people here could do worse than check the following out :

http://whatmeditationreallyis.com/index.php/lang-en/home-blog/item/323-how-to-get-rid-of-thoughts-and-emotions-in-meditation.html

Just trying to introduce some sanity into this subject.

_/|\_ (got this from some guy on ZFI. They’re very enlightened there. Cool isn’t it?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149046
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.31.2012
11:11PM EDT 
vertical line Well could you imagine the energy you could save if you can stop all those thoughts. And all those thoughts are or mostly useless who whats the point of wanting them to prolifirate if you are not stupid...lol

15,000 thoughts to 30,000 thoughts..lol.. no wonder most people are very tired at the end of the day even if they are not working...lol

Yeah I am not thinking yet no one of the thinking people could keep up with my topics... good you put that in.. It save me of putting another topic about it..which actually it came to me today..lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.01.2013
01:47AM EDT 
vertical line So whats so precious in 15,000 to 30,000 thoughts a day...

Maybe you just have used 10 at most for the day for a useful purpose.... the rest are completely outrageous and useless ..Don't you know  that thinking uses much of your energy. So you have used up your precious energy uselessly.

That is precisely the purpose of zazen is to consolidate your energy by just focusing on your breath to avoid thoughts or to silence the monkey mind.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149051
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.01.2013
01:56AM EDT 
vertical line
Are Dreams and Life just an illusion?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149052
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Sam Hardy
Jan.01.2013
11:02AM EDT 
Email Sam Hardy
vertical line Quote: "So whats so precious in 15,000 to 30,000 thoughts a day...

Maybe you just have used 10 at most for the day for a useful purpose.... the rest are completely outrageous and useless ..Don't you know  that thinking uses much of your energy. So you have used up your precious energy uselessly.

That is precisely the purpose of zazen is to consolidate your energy by just focusing on your breath to avoid thoughts or to silence the monkey mind.
"

I understand and agree. So maybe I’m not enlightened after all.

15 000 thoughts is going to take a lot of mental and spiritual energy that could be more beneficially used in meditation, which itself requires a lot of energy.

I don’t know what the Buddhist definition of a complete thought is. I make 15000 thoughts a day, that is in 16 hours (not counting sleep) to be about one thought every three or four seconds.  Most thought is repetitive, habitual, obsessional, compulsive, negative or neurotic.  That said, I don’t see how you can avoid having lots of thoughts if you’re writing a book or something like that.

I tend to get quite bored in meditation and feel I ought to be having interesting thoughts or insights instead of just letting it all go or subside until the water becomes clear.  Fact is that even if we spend 4 or 5 hours a day in sitting meditation (which let’s face it not many of us do) we still have 10 hours left in which to have interesting thoughts and insights like: there’s only a finite amount of knowledge or information I can absorb but there’s no limit to wisdom.  We can only acquire unlimited wisdom in meditation, not through reading or discussing.

Leoj:  I didn’t intend being rude when I corrected your English.  It’s just easier to read when subject and verb agree. Apologies.  

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jan.01.2013
02:39PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line listening to the feelings of this body brings us to land like a boat on water listens to waves and currents of the water body below and above, within listening capability sets out to meet shore to shore of all sounds motion landing
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149062
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.01.2013
05:17PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "So whats so precious in 15,000 to 30,000 thoughts a day...

"

I understand and agree. So maybe I’m not enlightened after all.

15 000 thoughts is going to take a lot of mental and spiritual energy that could be more beneficially used in meditation, which itself requires a lot of energy.

I don’t know what the Buddhist definition of a complete thought is. I make 15000 thoughts a day, that is in 16 hours (not counting sleep) to be about one thought every three or four seconds.  Most thought is repetitive, habitual, obsessional, compulsive, negative or neurotic.  That said, I don’t see how you can avoid having lots of thoughts if you’re writing a book or something like that.

I tend to get quite bored in meditation and feel I ought to be having interesting thoughts or insights instead of just letting it all go or subside until the water becomes clear.  Fact is that even if we spend 4 or 5 hours a day in sitting meditation (which let’s face it not many of us do) we still have 10 hours left in which to have interesting thoughts and insights like: there’s only a finite amount of knowledge or information I can absorb but there’s no limit to wisdom.  We can only acquire unlimited wisdom in meditation, not through reading or discussing.

Leoj:  I didn’t intend being rude when I corrected your English.  It’s just easier to read when subject and verb agree. Apologies.  

"

hahaha... no need to apologize... its the truth that I am not good in English .. but I can understand and speak other languages aside from English.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.01.2013
05:19PM EDT 
vertical line But 15,000 to 50,000 thoughts a day... oh my goodness...lol

It seems it is like driving 120 mph on the freeway with speed limit at 65 mph..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149066
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.01.2013
05:21PM EDT 
vertical line I really don't understand why most people violently react with the suggestion of stop thinking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149067
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jan.02.2013
10:08AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "the breath and thought are interconnected if you havent realised this yet..then you are not an avid meditator.maybe you havent as yet sat zazen..you make the glaring statement that stopping thought is enlightenment..your own words..yet you cant tell us what happens when this oocurs...i really feel leo my friend you should check yourself and understand what zazen is and its true purpose.. THE BREATHLESS STATE.....i will shortly within the next few days expound heavily about what all the fuss is about and hopefully we can all see what the Buddha had in mind... the differing levels of samadhi..instant enlightenment..the whole ball of wax.. thanks...by the way..its called MOMENT TO MOMENT AWARENESS..."
Focus upon breath and let go thought ... that is how they are interconnected .. hahaha
When the sitting, there is quiet or calm
When thoughts stop naturally, awareness reflects the truth.
All things aligned ...
It is then some have passed through the gateless gate

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149072
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jan.02.2013
11:42AM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line i

I'm

ash

dust

snow flaKes

wind through the trees

words spoken during a dream

puzzle sOlved silently

move in and out

somewhere

habitual

seaRch

desk

ear

t
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149073
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this STATUE OF BUDDHA
by Ian Cumming
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s