history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 02 2014 02:25AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  "But," asked Vaccha persistently, "when one who has this emancipation of mind
(freed from self) dies, where does he go, where is he reborn?
The Buddha replied:
"The word 'reborn' does not fit the case."
"Then he is not reborn?"
"To... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: GAME
vertical line Posted on Feb.04.2013 @ 10:38PM EDT by QuantumZen
There is nothing wrong in playing and not being serious. Universe plays a game. One can read tons of philosophy, involve himself in lots of interesting (or not) discussions, have a job and earn money (think "Monopoly"), love and live happily. The point of a dance isn't to get to a specific place on the floor, the point of life isn't to die. Sometimes zen (forums) becomes too descriptive, that's what needs to happen. Sometimes holy silence is too loud. The Universe is a good actor ^^ Just a thought.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email QuantumZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.04.2013
10:58PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

In my current understanding of Buddhism , I am free to act , free to re-act as all my will , my action , my re-action will be part of my learning process to discover / to accept myself . Therefore I always FREE for joy , FREE to sadness , FREE to act , FREE to re-act ........................................

Buddhism is THE ONLY PROCESS of all living or non-living in all existence ...........

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149694
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Feb.05.2013
12:39AM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I had a discussion with my friend today. He ironically said "I do zen, I don't have to do my work". :) One can easily fall to these extremes. Zen doesn't involve morality (theory of right and wrong) thus I can do immoral things. But this is ignorant. As I said, it is a game, if you don't like the rules of society (law) go to the wild and live alone, if you don't like the rules of wisdom based decisions, be ignorant and isolate yourself to do no harm to others. If you don't like the rules of zen, there is no need for you to follow any sort of zen teachings. As you've said. FREEDOM!
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149697
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.05.2013
12:43AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "... if you don't like the rules of society (law) go to the wild and live alone, if you don't like the rules of wisdom based decisions, be ignorant and isolate yourself to do no harm to others."
Uh, but that would be law abiding and wise, respectively.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149699
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Feb.05.2013
01:35AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I had a discussion with my friend today. He ironically said "I do zen, I don't have to do my work". :) One can easily fall to these extremes. Zen doesn't involve morality (theory of right and wrong) thus I can do immoral things. But this is ignorant. As I said, it is a game, if you don't like the rules of society (law) go to the wild and live alone, if you don't like the rules of wisdom based decisions, be ignorant and isolate yourself to do no harm to others. If you don't like the rules of zen, there is no need for you to follow any sort of zen teachings. As you've said. FREEDOM! "

You might point out to your friend that Zen is nothing without work. That work is Zen. The human body and mind needs stuff, and it takes work, or effort to get that. So, Zen and work cannot be separated. Even your friend knows this, really. He is choosing his work, even if he is just sitting still all day long. But maybe his work isn't so good for him, or for other people, so it takes other people to let him know that. Then he will decide when it's time to change his work, and put effort where effort is needed.

It's not a game, and really it's not Zen either. It's just being a human being.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149706
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.07.2013
06:01PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line A game requires concentration. I don't have concentration therefore I have no game. 8P
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149763
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.10.2013
01:38AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line “This is the real secret of life -- to be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play.”
Alan Wilson Watts
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149789
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
02:07AM EDT 
vertical line It is not a game. It does not depend on who is smart and clever.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149791
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.10.2013
11:39AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Not all games require wits...or rules.  Some of the best, from when we were children, eschewed both.  Long live Calvin-ball.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149798
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Feb.10.2013
03:07PM EDT 
vertical line Other kids' games are all such a bore!
They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
Budai's Game is better by far!
It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
You don't need a team or a referee!
You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

Something I read somewhere.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149804
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN CIRCLE
by Torei Enji
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s