history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Wednesday Jul 30 2014 05:08AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  On one occasion, the Buddha said to the monks this:
"No other form do I know, O monks, that so persists in obsessing the mind of a man as the form of a woman.
The form of a woman persists in obsessing the mind of a man.

"No... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHEN YOU CAN STOP THINKING.
vertical line Posted on Feb.10.2013 @ 12:30AM EDT by leoj99
When you can stop thinking...

You can also stop talking...

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
12:54AM EDT 
vertical line What is your direct experience of this? 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149778
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
12:56AM EDT 
vertical line The Buddha replied, "... such ideas lead to dense jungles and arid deserts, to entanglements as though caught by thorns. They bring about anger, delusion, and argument and they do not bring about peace, knowledge, or wisdom leading to enlightenment. I do not take up any of these ideas.""

So isn't ideas thoughts by thinking? So the Buddha is saying stop thinking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149779
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
12:58AM EDT 
vertical line Exactly these and thousands and thousands more..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149780
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
01:02AM EDT 
vertical line So what is the main reason that most people always wants to talk...?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149781
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
01:13AM EDT 
vertical line Leoj you have exactly the right idea.....but that is the problem, it is only an idea.  Its not that you can't talk about it or that you can't think about it or that you can't have a thought at all.  Many artist know how to reach this state of mind.  When it first happens it is an epiphany.  Oh wow, I have really been over thinking this drawing stuff.  Instead of thinking I want this or I want that to be in this way or that, just let go, and let it happen.  Well after that you learn to use your thinking mind to set up a framework on your paper for composition.  And then you let lose with this "no-thinking" which is required for the use of your artistic skills.  Yet even still you think, when you get distracted, or when you need to make a change in composition or technique.  Its kind of like driving a standard vs an automatic car.  Most people drive automatic, those who use the non-dual and dual mind use them in conjunction with one another. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149783
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
01:18AM EDT 
vertical line Who told you its an idea? You can try it yourself. If you stop thinking then you cannot talk...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149784
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
01:22AM EDT 
vertical line wrong
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149785
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
01:24AM EDT 
vertical line That is how I know this is all an idea for you, you describe what you think it is.  Even a person who is in archery can focus body and mind, and be one with what they are doing, and still respond to a question as they are doing it.  An artist can speak while they doing art work.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149786
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
01:27AM EDT 
vertical line Honestly I am not trying to get you to fight with me....really.  It is not about me being right or you being right.  You can never convince anyone of something that is one step removed from their own experience or reality.  So the Nike slogan "just do it" comes to mind.  Once you have it, you will know, I was not fighting with you just trying to tip you over from your conceptual idea into actual practice.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149787
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Feb.10.2013
01:36AM EDT 
vertical line I will miss chatting here, I have intentions of discontinuing being involved with the Zen online community.  I have found that this word "ZEN" is a huge obstacle on online forums. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149788
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
02:04AM EDT 
vertical line LOL...
GOOD LUCK...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149790
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.10.2013
02:25AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line My internet uses:

- email
- schooling
- banking
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149793
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
04:38AM EDT 
vertical line
Stop Thinking
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149794
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.10.2013
08:49AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "I will miss chatting here, I have intentions of discontinuing being involved with the Zen online community.  I have found that this word "ZEN" is a huge obstacle on online forums.  "

This is the place to chat even if you don't want to talk about Zen.
Just look at the others and you will see..
This place is so much more like a community.
Toss your ideas into the ring and someone is bound to make a comment.
Also, more than enough here want to try to explain their ideas ... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149797
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.10.2013
12:04PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "I will miss chatting here, I have intentions of discontinuing being involved with the Zen online community.  I have found that this word "ZEN" is a huge obstacle on online forums.  "

"

I don't understand why that is such a bad thing.  I mean, I guess if you are looking for enlightenment its a problem, but I think if you are looking to awaken on line you've got a rough path ahead of you.  Not that I can support that in any way, it just feels like that would require a more personal degree of interaction.  But what is so bad about a space where people have similar interests, or an interest in those interests, to communicate?  Zen is a bit of niche thing, especially in the states.  And zen is a bit of a fractured thing - its definition has been stretched pretty far to encapsulate both the purist zenbuddhism that you espouse and the secular practice base approach (riverstone's artist) that I feel more comfortable with.  To an extent these ideas may be, in specifics, incompatible, but are at base, at their more diffuse meanings, quite similar.  More similar, I think, than most of us will be able to find in the meatsphere. 

I don't, and I think most of us don't, have anyone else with whom we can bounce these ideas off of.  And I don't think understanding comes from confirmation, but from challenge.  It is very easy to see the merits of our own ideas and the flaws in the ideas of others.  So having that sounding board is essential.  Or maybe I'm falling into my own trap.  I don't know. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149800
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
01:43PM EDT 
vertical line It seems to me he likes a community of like minds... where most say Amen....lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149801
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.10.2013
02:38PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "I will miss chatting here, I have intentions of discontinuing being involved with the Zen online community.  I have found that this word "ZEN" is a huge obstacle on online forums.  "

"

I don't understand why that is such a bad thing.  I mean, I guess if you are looking for enlightenment its a problem, but I think if you are looking to awaken on line you've got a rough path ahead of you.  Not that I can support that in any way, it just feels like that would require a more personal degree of interaction.  But what is so bad about a space where people have similar interests, or an interest in those interests, to communicate?  Zen is a bit of niche thing, especially in the states.  And zen is a bit of a fractured thing - its definition has been stretched pretty far to encapsulate both the purist zenbuddhism that you espouse and the secular practice base approach (riverstone's artist) that I feel more comfortable with.  To an extent these ideas may be, in specifics, incompatible, but are at base, at their more diffuse meanings, quite similar.  More similar, I think, than most of us will be able to find in the meatsphere. 

I don't, and I think most of us don't, have anyone else with whom we can bounce these ideas off of.  And I don't think understanding comes from confirmation, but from challenge.  It is very easy to see the merits of our own ideas and the flaws in the ideas of others.  So having that sounding board is essential.  Or maybe I'm falling into my own trap.  I don't know. 
"

A community takes on the character of the people in the community.
Riverstone is the potential sage and hermit ... just not decided on his path
Leoj is the man with the answer which even he doesn't understand.
Joe Chip is the wise cracking man with sound bites for ideas.
Boymonk is the ego driven type who likes to mock and tease others.
Esoteric is another fellow traveler.
Starduster who awakened to his own humanity and got banned for it.
Shanye who got into it with starduster
Woodsman is a long time follower of the way.
And the others who make up the rest of this site/ forum
It is quite a collection of people from different cultures and with different ideas
And it makes for a very interesting place to be .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149803
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Feb.10.2013
03:31PM EDT 
vertical line Love you guys. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149806
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Feb.10.2013
03:39PM EDT 
vertical line By the way, I sent an email inquiring about Chon Tri (chontri), asking how he's doing and if he plans on talking in the forum again. He replied very kindly:

CT is too old to be there in the forum.
Wish you and everyone who participate on the forum is well.

CT

His place in this community will be missed. But his presence and teachings are here for any who wish to look. I do hope to keep in touch with him, as he is a very good friend.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149807
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.10.2013
06:02PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "It is quite a collection of people from different cultures and with different ideas
And it makes for a very interesting place to be .... hahahaha"

Yes, it does. And I am glad you are here. Avisitor who always seeks for the pure.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149809
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.10.2013
06:20PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "I will miss chatting here, I have intentions of discontinuing being involved with the Zen online community.  I have found that this word "ZEN" is a huge obstacle on online forums.  "

"

"

A community takes on the character of the people in the community.
Riverstone is the potential sage and hermit ... just not decided on his path
Leoj is the man with the answer which even he doesn't understand.
Joe Chip is the wise cracking man with sound bites for ideas.
Boymonk is the ego driven type who likes to mock and tease others.
Esoteric is another fellow traveler.
Starduster who awakened to his own humanity and got banned for it.
Shanye who got into it with starduster
Woodsman is a long time follower of the way.
And the others who make up the rest of this site/ forum
It is quite a collection of people from different cultures and with different ideas
And it makes for a very interesting place to be .... hahahaha
"

And who are you to decide who am I...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149810
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.10.2013
10:14PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "And who are you to decide who am I...LOL
"

I am just avisitor here.
Please go one with your answers to life's questions .... hahaha
Leoj, what should one do to find enlightenment .... lol
Stop thinking and eat watermelon .... hahahaha
Where is your watermelon now????
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149816
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.11.2013
08:21PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "And who are you to decide who am I...LOL
"

I am just AVATAR here.
Please go with your life's questions .... hahaha
Boymonk, what should one do to find enlightenment .... lol
Where is your watermelon now????
"

Hi,

Follow EFP, AVATAR, and you will find enlightenment. Or it will find you!

Watermelon? That's personal.

Good luck on your journey. :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149832
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.11.2013
09:01PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Think all you want, think, think, think. Be free and think free. Let your thoughts flow into the ocean of knowledge. Never stop thinking.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149835
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Feb.11.2013
09:13PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Nobody here is going to conform to your stop thinking leo, give it a rest bro.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149836
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.12.2013
02:12AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Nobody here is going to conform to your stop thinking leo, give it a rest bro."

Thats because all are hard headed...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149840
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.13.2013
03:18PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Nobody here is going to conform to your stop thinking leo, give it a rest bro."

Thats because all are hard headed...lol
"

Yes, my head is hard ... but I wear a hat to protect it ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149909
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN 1
by Anonymous
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s