history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Sunday Nov 23 2014 12:34AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  In the early days of the Meiji era there lived a well-known wrestler called O-nami, Great Waves. O-nami was immensely strong and knew the art of wrestling. In his private bouts he defeated even his teacher, but in public he was so bashful... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE JOY OF SILENCE
vertical line Posted on Feb.16.2013 @ 10:41PM EDT by leoj99

The Joy of Silence

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.18.2013
10:29AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

I have listen to the video and would like to share my view :-

To me " enlighternment' is a condition one accepted himself , therefore he had freedom from attachement on any knowledge , accepted that he is same and equal with others , accepted that nothing belong to him ...and " enlighternment" is not an EMOTION but a CONDITION .........so the "feeling" that one "experience' IS NOT an emotion of joy or beuty but is a condition freedom from burden of self ..............

Perhaps anyone here care to debate with me on this " teacher" views as I seems find many thing he said still not fit in my current logic .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150036
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.18.2013
05:56PM EDT 
vertical line When the mind is quiet, there is no thought in your mind.. that is silence.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150039
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.18.2013
09:10PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "When the mind is quiet, there is no thought in your mind.. that is silence. "

No thought is not mean no mind ...or no self , still even one could be free from thinking , he still attached to himself , the one that causes his existence ..........in my current understanding , is NOT to be silent or free of having any thought .......but is a PROCESS of freeing ownselve ,,,,,thats my current understanding of Buddhism.

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150045
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from meditate28
Feb.20.2013
01:16AM EDT 
Email meditate28
vertical line I really have found the joy of not speaking and listening to sweet silence.  A hard task when I was younger but now I have learned to enjoy quiet time.  I seem to think sometimes without thinking.  Feels pretty good
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150051
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.20.2013
01:20AM EDT 
vertical line Of course no doubt about it but don't tell other people the secret...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150052
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.20.2013
02:13AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "I really have found the joy of not speaking and listening to sweet silence.  A hard task when I was younger but now I have learned to enjoy quiet time.  I seem to think sometimes without thinking.  Feels pretty good "

Perhaps I could understand you based on my experiences .......indeed sometime when I look at  a wall without any emotion or intention ...it seems so "relexing" , so quiet , so nothing.......but to me is just a tiny part of Buddhism .

Buddhism is a process  not just freedom from thinking but freedom of existence ...............

Thks

CSEe 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150053
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.20.2013
09:47AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Thoughts have existed long before words or language
So, how do you know that your thoughts have stopped??? .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150054
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.20.2013
06:23PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "Thoughts have existed long before words or language
So, how do you know that your thoughts have stopped??? .... hahahaha
"

To me , thinking is a referral to mind that reflected by "self"...therefore as long as there is a "self" which formed by all emotions / desire / love / compassion etc.....one could never be free of thinking because they still have a 'self".........I was at one time debate with a monk ( seems to be well known ) and he told me his way of meditation is to free from thinking ....................to me at my current logic , he perhaps is trying to think of nothing ...not freedom of thinking .

So in Buddhism , we cant search or practice self realization ....it would accur naturally as we progress in a process known to me as Buddhism.

By being awake to aware that nothing is special about us , all beings is SAME and EQUAL ......aware to realize that nothing belong to us and we are always alone in our own journey of our will in our own world ..........realize to accept what we are .........and this process continues until we have no emotion of any desire / love / anger / greed / compassion etc....we will free of all emotion including will to continue existence...we will be free from our existence back into emptiness ....thats Buddhism to me currently.

Please debate ...

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150058
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.21.2013
12:08PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line "Awake to aware ... aware to realize ... realize to accept ... this is the process..."

You've got this idea that Buddhism is a process.
It isn't. No amount of knowledge will grant you to be awakened, aware, realize nor accept.
No process will grant this either. One doesn't change from being a layman to a monk and then to the Dalai lama and then to a Buddha.

Buddhism is the pointing finger ... Pointing to the thing you wish to achieve.
But, in trying to achieve, you push away the very thing you want.
Making it into a process ... that gives you time to accept that you will never achieve your goal.
Your knowledge isn't wrong ... it is that you aren't able to understand its truth.
And, no this is not my image of you or what I believe you to be.
It is what you have proven yourself to be ... over and over again.

You want to learn through debate. Buddhism isn't learned through debate.
Awakening is not a process. Otherwise, we could commercialize it and sell it on the supermarket shelves .... hahahaha
For you to understand, you must go through a paradigm shift that would blow your mind .... hahahha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150073
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.21.2013
04:09PM EDT 
vertical line Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
Catch a tiger by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go,
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.

Speaking of blow, imagine you`re favorite MILF here at zenguide, and with this Mind I Like to..,
Heeey, wait, U`re thinking of sex again arent you??! sheesh, consentration like a four year old, awh, just forget I ever spoke.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150075
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.21.2013
05:10PM EDT 
vertical line I feel (Imo) U are like this Really good civilian historian, having deep knowledge of war, yet disastrous if were to pick up arms and personally lead men into war,.. I am truly
sorry for telling you this as I like you (for some reason) and I believe U would be a great asset to cosmos if U were to sit and attain a deeper personal experience of your claims...

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150077
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.21.2013
09:17PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: ""Awake to aware ... aware to realize ... realize to accept ... this is the process..."

Dear Avisitor you said , I quote " You've got this idea that Buddhism is a process." un-quote

Thanks for sharing , so what is your understanding of Buddhism ?

you said , I quote " It isn't. No amount of knowledge will grant you to be awakened, aware, realize nor accept.
No process will grant this either. One doesn't change from being a layman to a monk and then to the Dalai lama and then to a Buddha." Un-quote

Yes agreed as I have said many times before knowledge is a tiny part of Buddhism .........so what is your perception of awake , aware , realize and accept ?..........

what is your perception of Buddha ? Changed from human form ( seems to be from your writing ) ? You always said I never change and stick to my understanding but I was surprise that you said a person never change......you seems confused with your own understanding .

In my current opinion , Buddhism is a process that always changing and as human , we will changed in this process naturally if we are awake .......awake to me means that we understand we are no special , nothing is great about us and we understand we are just a being same and equal as any being ...no different ...

awake means that we understand all being is a teacher to us , showing us lesson to be learned , awake means all same and equal.....

so one should awake and always aware of learning and do not against for change but continue to change into greater realization ...........defending ourselves is against this natural process of change ..........and one will have to learn in hard way .

Buddhism is a process that will change any being into emptiness .........is only human culture that full of ego / pride / knowledge seems against this natural process and suffer of  own confusion ................

Dear Avisitor , you said I quote " Buddhism is the pointing finger ... Pointing to the thing you wish to achieve.But, in trying to achieve, you push away the very thing you want.
" Un-quote

I currently do not find any logic of your understanding , Buddhism is never pointing at something we wish to acheive , infact Buddhism is a process that will lead us to understand and let go our desire ...end our desire not promoting more desire or wish .

Buddhism to me is  a process not by choice or practice but is natural ........and in this natural process we will accept ourselves , free ourselves from all our desire including our determination / will to exist ..........we will end our existance naturally not by force .

Sorry my friend , Buddhism is beyond knowledge and you cant find any answer to your knowledge of having question............because there is no right or wrong , true or false in Buddhism .

Dear Avisitor , you said , I quote " Making it into a process ... that gives you time to accept that you will never achieve your goal.
Your knowledge isn't wrong ... it is that you aren't able to understand its truth." un-quote

I never plan or wish to acheive anything , my friend I just learned not to against it . Buddhism is a natural process , by defending ownselves with knowledge , ego , pride , desire , compassion , love etc ...we are actually going against this natural process and suffer due to our own choice .

Just like if you swim follow the current , you will find yourself at ease.....but if you swim against the flow of the water ...you will suffer ............so learn to accept Buddhism , dont be human that wishing to go to heaven but refuse to die ...............

Dear Avisitor , you said I quote " And, no this is not my image of you or what I believe you to be.
It is what you have proven yourself to be ... over and over again." un-quote

Sorry my friend ...........you seems so attached to human culture , focusing on others , trying to define "right and wrong" , good and bad or " true or false"...........to me Buddhism is only to learn from others without any other intention . So if your intention solely to learn from others , you will see all being as "lesson provider" , that provide you with lots of information , factor for your learning process and all being regardless their background is a teacher to you ...you will never carry any burden to defend yourself but always feel so ease , so "happy" to learn ...........so get out from my life , be in your own life ..........you will feel that "self" is acutually pollutant , the less you have it , the "happier" you will be ........

Dear Avisitor , you said , I quote " You want to learn through debate. Buddhism isn't learned through debate." un-quote

To me Buddhism is a process that impossible to be stopped and is natural but one have option to choose their path ....whether to take highway or bumpy road ......in human , Buddhism is our daily lives , what we do regardless killing a monk or donating organ to others .....in business , in sport , in sex , watching others in sex , boxing with monks or get kick by a monk...........all is Buddhism . So in internet , I prefer debate ......infact we had debate , always have but just that you perhaps never notice it or focus on the topic ...why dont you focus on topic , my dear master ?

Dear Avisitor , you said , I quote "Awakening is not a process. Otherwise, we could commercialize it and sell it on the supermarket shelves .... hahahaha
For you to understand, you must go through a paradigm shift that would blow your mind .... hahahha" un-quote

I never said awakening is a process ...I only said Buddhism is a process but I never object awakening can be a process because that is always depend on each being .......again my dear master , lets focus on topic ..........

Thks

CSEe
"

"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150079
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.22.2013
08:36AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line I never plan or wish to acheive anything .....

So you say now. But, before it was you wish to learn Buddhism because you're afraid of death coming for you. You twist words around to mean whatever you wish. And, every word  has different meaning when you talk. Sorry, but, you're full of BS.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.22.2013
10:23AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "I never plan or wish to acheive anything .....

So you say now. But, before it was you wish to learn Buddhism because you're afraid of death coming for you. You twist words around to mean whatever you wish. And, every word  has different meaning when you talk. Sorry, but, you're full of BS.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
"

Dear my master , seems to me you are still living in my life .............let me explain to you again my friend . I wish to learn Buddhism but as I learned I never wish to be anything or to acheive anything whatsoever that one could think of .......my intention is solely to learn as I current aware Buddhism is a process of learning to discover ownselves ..........so as I learn I never plan "who should I be", or wish to be of any condition .......it seems to me many people are trying to be "enlighterned" or to be " Buddha"..........but not me , not now, not before...I never had any intention just learn and progress  ............

I found myself from my fear on my death and I found my realization of two words linked to Siddharta ...that was " awake & emptiness".......from that realization I found logic in this two words and I current accepted that Buddhism is all about learning .........yes you may ask me a trillion times , I wish to learn more on Buddhism , not only to challenge my perception of life , myself but my emotions of fear on death .........

Dear Avisitor ,  in Buddhism , I never have any plan or wish to be anything .....I just wish to learn .......and never imagine the outcome .........

I hope this is clear for you .............but dear master , perhaps you are still do not understand me .........have you try to understand why I keep saying " in my current understanding" ????............because I always ready to change and accepting that as I learned , change is in progress without plan .......I just go with the flow without trying to resist it ......I accepted that you , or any being is teacher to me and I will always moving / progessing into greater realization ...so dear master , if you read my writing please do not surprise if they are not the same ...........because I have change and always changing...so that is why I always said ' in my current understanding" .

I used to find logic of compassion in connection with Buddhism , now I am not . I used to think , sharing love / accepting love / giving love is a Buddhism practice , now I am not . I used to use the word " common sense" in my writing ..but now I had stopped ....... i used to think that monk lifestyle is not acceptable or un-necessary...now I think that is own learning process ........I used to dis-agree with monk offering food to Siddharta statues , now I think that is their learning process because in Buddhism I currently understand that there is no right or wrong .....................and there are many more ............not because I twisted my word but because I had changed....................and changing is Buddhism , my friend . Why you still living in my old life , trying to enter my current life ...why dont you be in your life , accepting yourself ?..............Dear Avisitor , perhaps my writing was rude to you or is offending you , if so I truly sorry ..........I had never any intention to do that .

Thks...lets debate okay .

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150089
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.22.2013
10:40AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear Avisitor , frankly I do not know who are you , where you from or any of your personal life ....because to me that is you .....I just wish to learn Buddhism and you are a great source same and equal as others being ............. Buddhism to me currently is learning from ownselves or others to know / understand own emotion not to create more self by gaining more knowledge on or from others ..............so I learn and the more I learn , the lesser my burden of self not increased more emotions .........

Dear Avisitor , indeed I learned from you because Buddhism is in all we do ...so whether we talk , quarrel , debate , joking ......we can learn from each other .......you had taught me even without " debating" with me on a particular topic ...because any topic is part of Buddhism...........

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150090
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA I
by Ricki Mountain
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s