history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Apr 18 2014 08:39PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: LISTENING
vertical line Posted on Feb.16.2013 @ 11:30PM EDT by leoj99
When you want to listen ... you stop thinking... right?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.16.2013
11:31PM EDT 
vertical line How can you listen if you are always thinking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149985
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.16.2013
11:44PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Perhaps NO ....because if I stop thinking I never will understand what you say.....In my current understanding of Buddhism ......BEFORE you say anything , I must always free from any idea of you , feeedom from any faith on who are you , freedom from any emotion of you , freedom of any comparison with you against me of any being ..........and accept YOU same and EQUAL as Mr Siddhartta , Mr Dalai Lama , OBama , Osama , Hilter , ant , fly , dirt , rock............................when you say anything or everything will always be a source of learning for me to know myself .

"thinking" to me is exploration on "mind" as the reflection of "ownselve".....understanding "ownselve" will reflects a "awaken mind"........."awaken mind" will develope a thinking nature that reflect on the purpose of thinking ........thinking will never be for other purpose except to explore ownselves .......................... 

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149986
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.16.2013
11:49PM EDT 
vertical line Try listening to music man.. you can only fully enjoy the music if you are not thinking at all.. your being is fully with the music..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 149987
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.17.2013
04:48PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line I fear I still have great difficulty understanding anything you say. I am sure this is entirely my own fault and can only beg your indulgence. If you would be so kind as to define what you mean by "thinking" I would be extremely greatful.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150003
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.17.2013
05:52PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Leoj, you have presented your philosophy on Zen
Stop thinking seems to be your motto
So, why don't you explain more aboout what you mean by that.

On another website, they call this stop thinking as a iron rod method.
Use an iron rod and hit yourself over the head to stop thinking .... hahaha
Of course, we don't do something like that.

As Riverstone has stated before ....
Awareness is the practice of sitting Zazen
Observing the mind and letting go of thoughts
When the mind is ripe, thoughts fallaway and awareness can reflect our true nature.
Forcing thoughts to stop will only make you stop thinking and not bring about wisdom.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150004
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.17.2013
06:33PM EDT 
vertical line Just do it man. If you can't do it.. just stop talking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150007
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.17.2013
06:34PM EDT 
vertical line Look at the other topic: Rain...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150008
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.17.2013
06:52PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "Just do it man. If you can't do it.. just stop talking...lol "

I am not sure if I can or cannot since I am not sure what exact process you mean.  I am sure it is tedious, but if you would give me just a little more insight into your meaning I would thank you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150009
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.17.2013
07:23PM EDT 
vertical line Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Feb.17.2013
08:16PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Quote: "Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking? "

So thinking does not cover being aware that I am thinking?  Or would being aware of my thinking be a thought?  I'm sorry, I'm trying, I'm just all mixed up.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150014
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.17.2013
09:38PM EDT 
vertical line ... awh, looka here, no zen teacher as U might suspect 'but we both know of preconvived ideas like:

" I am sure it is tedious"

Now, where did that come from??
(try answer like really fast whatever pops to mind, regardless how it sounds or make you look!:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150017
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.17.2013
10:18PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Just do it man. If you can't do it.. just stop talking...lol "

Just do it??? What are you ... a spokesman for NIKE??
You're the one who is promoting stop thinking But, you are also the one who is doing the most talkiing ... hahaha

It is about settling the mind and gaining peace
It isn't about silence
Woe ... the slins and arrows .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150018
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.17.2013
10:23PM EDT 
vertical line He meant slings and arrows. :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150019
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.17.2013
10:30PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking? "

So thinking does not cover being aware that I am thinking?  Or would being aware of my thinking be a thought?  I'm sorry, I'm trying, I'm just all mixed up.
"

Just no thinking... thats it.. if you are thinking you are thinking.. if you are not thinking .. you don't think...don't make it complicated...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150022
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Feb.18.2013
02:01AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking? "

"

Just no thinking... thats it.. if you are thinking you are thinking.. if you are not thinking .. you don't think...don't make it complicated...lol
"

What is thinking?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150027
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.18.2013
08:41AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking? "

"

"

What is thinking?
"

Who or what is doing the thinking???

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150031
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.18.2013
08:55AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Well at least you should know when you are thinking. You may be always thinking and you don't even know you are thinking or you are not aware  you are thinking? "

"

I'm sorry for interrupting. I know you were addressing Leoj.
But, I have asked him to explain his stop thinking but he just keeps saying the same thing ... again and again.

Being aware of your thinking is "being aware".
Thinking or thought bubble up from the depths of your mind
We become aware of this and let the thoughts go
We do not chase the thoughts nor do we suppress the thoughts.
Just being aware of the thoughts
A useful tool to keep the mind on awareness is using the breathe as a link to awareness.
When you become aware you are not focused on breathe, you bring back your attention onto breathe.
In this way, your concentration gets better with practice
As your concentration gets better, so does your awareness.
The mind quiets down and your awareness can see each moment
You live in the here and now ... maybe you will notice things you didn't before??
Random thoughts are less distracting and less frequent.
Clarity opens life's little nuances

No, we aren't trying to stop thought.
But, with practice, the mind quiets down and we can see the moon in the water ... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150032
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.18.2013
05:02PM EDT 
vertical line When the mind quiets down then it can stop thinking.. what else dude...lol

Are you trying to be an smarty?...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150037
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.18.2013
05:54PM EDT 
vertical line How can you see the reflection of the moon on water if you are always thinking, only when there is no thought in your mind you can see...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150038
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.18.2013
06:08PM EDT 
vertical line If the water is murky and not still then it cannot reflect the moon clearly. Only when the water is clear and still when the the reflection of the moon is clear and beautiful. Like your mind if it is full of thoughts and always thinking how can it reflect anything, how can it see.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150040
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.18.2013
08:26PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "If the water is murky and not still then it cannot reflect the moon clearly. Only when the water is clear and still when the the reflection of the moon is clear and beautiful. Like your mind if it is full of thoughts and always thinking how can it reflect anything, how can it see. "

Cuz it's not reflecting something else?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150041
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.19.2013
03:41AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Well...the water is very murky here.It reflects something at every 3-5 day. It depends on the goings on at the forum or the concentration of me.I dont know which one is more important here.The forum is a good teacher for me.like a shining moon on the water.even seeing some part of it is a good feeling
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150046
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.19.2013
03:54AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Well...the water is very murky here.It reflects something at every 3-5 day. It depends on the goings on at the forum or the concentration of me.I dont know which one is more important here.The forum is a good teacher for me.like a shining moon on the water.even seeing some part of it is a good feeling"

So what did it reflect?..lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150047
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.19.2013
06:26AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line The moon is white.What can it reflect my friend?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150048
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.19.2013
01:56PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line studio baby
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150049
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.19.2013
03:24PM EDT 
vertical line Hmmm... well now, is it the finger pointing or the sun.. awh, heey, now I can`t see my finger anymore! Where is everybody?? Help, can`t see jack, now where did that that finger go?? Maybe if I feel my way,.. ouch, dang that hurt, heeelp, heelp!*

*disclaimer - if U for any reason did not find this funny, for refund please contact:
"just arrived from holiday catching up with hard physical labour during day with the night free to do critical web work" P.O. Box 800 - technically the moon reflects the sun moron! (Now off to never never-land, G`night:))

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150050
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, WAT PHO I
by Charles Newington
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s