history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 05:22AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.15.2009 @ 09:32AM EDT by chontri

Sakuladayi the Wanderer asked the Buddha:
-What is the past and what is the future?
The Buddha answered:
-Let the past be and forget the future. I will teach you that... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: HAVE ANY STRUGGLING MEDITATORS OUT THERE FOUND A BENEFIT TO CONTINUING
vertical line Posted on Feb.22.2013 @ 05:22PM EDT by eindoofus
There are a few out there, like myself, who simply cannot meditate. I don't know whether it's the amplitude of the noise in our heads or the lack of brain cells we have for focusing.

I've personally tried multiple times to sit and pay attention to my breath but each experience turns out to be the same as the last. I know what I need to do, or rather not do, in order to progress but I just feel like it's a hopeless endeavor since I never see progress.

Is there anybody out there who has been in the situation as myself and ultimately found benefit from all the time spent on meditation?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email eindoofus
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.22.2013
06:52PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Just sharing . To me , meditation is just like un-tie the rope , clear the room , seeing old photo , take out all book from the cabinet and place it back , looking your house from a hill , get out from the house , re-start engine....................freedom of attachment on current belief , faith , understanding , knowledge and question ownselves all over again .............

in my current understanding of Buddhism  , meditation is an awareness and is not a practice several times a day but is in each moment in our journey / our lifes ..................................but as human that still very much attached to myself , it seems very difficult to accept ............and "practicing " several times a day seems logical to some people  .

To me , "meditation " as in human concept can be any form as for me if I wish to search for an solution in business or any matter , I drive my car ...........perhaps that is a form of "meditation" to me .  

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150091
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.22.2013
06:53PM EDT 
vertical line If you take your time and read this link, I promise you that you very likely will be motivated to meditate, and if you meditate, just 10-20 min a day, then you very likely will be grateful, if you within weeks-  months have not noticed fundamental changes, walking around smiling  and even experience sudden state of extreme bliss (thou short-lived as a lightning strike  as it probably totally crashes your meditation when it happen), then you are not doing it right or there is something wrong with your attitude. Notice that you can NOT smoke weed, weed and meditation (and most other intoxication substances) does NOT mix with meditation (thrust me on this, I am no moral police when it comes to drugs, just stating a fact)
So, here you go (f. last time I bother digging around for this link:):
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150092
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eindoofus
Feb.22.2013
07:28PM EDT 
Email eindoofus
vertical line Thanks, I'll take a look at that later.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150095
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.22.2013
08:10PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

My first look summary,

Accept everything that arises

Don't Ponder: Don't think.See

Tiger Team

I'll read the all too.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150096
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.22.2013
09:28PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Introduction

American Buddhism

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150097
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.22.2013
10:15PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Lacking any time to think of a reply, all I can really say is YES.
Practicing with out progress for a long time.
But, practice is where I needed to go and do.
Looking for progress, I never found any
Just practicing, I found I am not the same .... hahaha

My advice is to find someone who can help you.
A treacher or mentor.
Good luck
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150098
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.22.2013
11:42PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear Avisitor you said I Quote: "
Practicing with out progress for a long time.
But, practice is where I needed to go and do.
Looking for progress, I never found any
Just practicing, I found I am not the same .... hahaha" un-quote

I hope you dont mis-taken me for being confrontational or trying to find reason to against you ...I am not . Just sharing my view here with intention to learn not to teach .

Buddhism to me currently is not something you look for in TESCO or found something you had lost ........but is to realize what you had and let go .............so dear master , you could only found yourself no other than yourself...........and you will change naturally as you progress into your life ......with or without your practice or meditation because Buddhism is natural process that cant be stopped . So whether you choose to take longer bumpy road or a highway, is all up to you ....................by being awake to aware "what are you "not "who are you" , accepting " same and equal" ......you are actually " practicing meditation" each moment of your life ...........................

Dear Avisitor , you said I quote " My advice is to find someone who can help you.
A treacher or mentor.
Good luck" Un-quote
"

In my current understanding of Buddhism ," Teacher" is all being.......any being , everywhere..........any animal , any plant , flower , flower pot , pen , rubbish etc is all around us ...why need to find ?

Human culture had created " distinction / comparison" and due to their "self' , their emotion , their knowledge ...they choose what they think they should know , they choose who should be their teacher .........they go with their emotion when choosing for teacher , so if you are a monk , bold your head , practicing meditation for hours , sta in monastry ...you are a target to be call a " teacher"..........many will regard you as teacher ...............same as in business , if you are Bill Gates and you wear a ten dollars watch , people will still think that watch you wearing worth millions ................but if a homeless wear a one thousand dollars watch , people will think that is a rubbish................why ? Because that is human culture and perhaps is same every where .................

Buddhism to me is beyond any differences ....................in Buddhism there is no right or wrong , no true or false and no good or bad .................

So if you always choose your teacher , you will know what you already plan to know and you will found something you wish to find , you will always be you , the one you know and the one you wish to know ................

In Buddhism , " good luck" is never exist as each moment in life is always a great source of learning.....

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150099
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
02:28AM EDT 
vertical line
zazan

Just follow the instructions. Just sit as you can and don't expect so much progress. Just sit and don't evaluate yourself if your sit is good or not. Just sit and after the sit just forget about it. Don't keep track if you are progessing or not.

The more you sit the more you feel at ease and it may take time to settle down.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150101
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Feb.23.2013
10:53AM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I have somewhat similar problem. I work night shifts and I come back too tired to sit. I just fall asleep instantly. Same goes for mornings, I wake up feeling so sleepy, that tranquil meditation would just put me back to sleep. But on those rare occasions (only several times per month) when I sit (or drink tea alone so slowly and peacefully that it's comparable to zazen) I feel amazing (not that I feel euphoric or pleasured, I just feel flowing through life and simply happy). My goal is to fix a regime for meditation (2X 20min sessions a day would be enormous change for me). I am waiting for the right time (and I understand how stupid this sentence is).
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150103
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jordtm
Feb.23.2013
12:41PM EDT 
Email jordtm
vertical line Zazen began as an additional activity, for me. Then, I understood that Zazen was in every activity. Sitting itself has always remained just sitting.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from eindoofus
Feb.23.2013
12:59PM EDT 
Email eindoofus
vertical line Wow, thank you all for the great feedback :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150105
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
02:42PM EDT 
vertical line Don't feel guilty if you were not able to do it. But a goal to sit more is good. If you can sit more that is a good help for you to go through your all day activity. Just don't be bothered if you are progressing or not. If not so be it. If you progress so be it. Surely you will know what will happen. If you feel good isn't that a good incentive to do more sit.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150106
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
02:49PM EDT 
vertical line Sitting Zazen is like saving money in a bank. Before you know it you are richer...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150107
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.23.2013
05:30PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "I have somewhat similar problem. I work night shifts and I come back too tired to sit. I just fall asleep instantly. Same goes for mornings, I wake up feeling so sleepy, that tranquil meditation would just put me back to sleep. But on those rare occasions (only several times per month) when I sit (or drink tea alone so slowly and peacefully that it's comparable to zazen) I feel amazing (not that I feel euphoric or pleasured, I just feel flowing through life and simply happy). My goal is to fix a regime for meditation (2X 20min sessions a day would be enormous change for me). I am waiting for the right time (and I understand how stupid this sentence is). "

I work the over night shift (graveyard shift). And I understand about being tired.
However, I decided that it is important for me to practice.
It isn't an easy thing to do. Cuz, it is easier to just say I am tired and that my back hurts.
Easier to just go to sleep and not try.
But, in the end, all the excuses in the world won't change what is to come.
If one feels the sprirt and has the will power then one does the practice.

Also, one can practice awareness when one is driving or walking or waiting .
It is making oneself aware of breathe. In out or counting or just being mindful.
Every moment Zen ... haha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150111
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
08:28PM EDT 
vertical line So why are you laughing then?...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150114
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.23.2013
10:07PM EDT 
vertical line AVATAR always laugh. It's what he does.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150118
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.23.2013
10:18PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "So why are you laughing then?...lol "

Why are you laughing??? ... lol

The answers are so plain to see now.
Before it was all a mystery.
Now, it just all makes so much sense .... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150120
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.24.2013
05:27PM EDT 
vertical line (just remember setting "hahaha" for youre signature might be a really bad idea when discussing topics like holocaust, rape and such.)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150138
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN IRIS
by Pamela Gladding
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s