history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 02 2014 04:27AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Ching-yuan Wei-hsin, a Chinese Ch'an master, once said this:
Thirty years ago, when having not studied Ch'an,
this monk saw mountain was mountains and water was water.
Later, when following the good teacher's guide, this monk... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: NON THINKING
vertical line Posted on Feb.22.2013 @ 06:02PM EDT by football

Non thinking thoughts

is very different.different than usual.Suddenly it opens a new door.Which you dont expect.It's like you feel commodious, all are gone.relaxed.hope.Interesting, really!

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email football
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Feb.22.2013
07:07PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Perhaps that is a temporary "letting" yourself go ................in my current understanding of  Buddhism , by decrease the attachment on yourself such as freedom of any faith , forget about love/compassion /anger / ego/greed/desire...you actually decrease the burden of yourself which you carry each moment in your life ...by letting go this self , you will be in a very special emotion that you never been ...that emotion can be easily mis-taken as happy or compassion or true love ....that emotion for me is resulted by decrease self.....and thats Buddhism.

In my current understanding of  Buddhism , our knowledge , our love , our emotions regardless anger or love or compassion...is all polluted energy that cause our existance , causes our suffering and joy .........Buddhism is a process we will release this energy that we known as "self" , back into emptiness naturally ..................

If you travel , you collect things along the way and the more you collect , the more weight on your shoulder ...you will suffer more and more ...but if you travel and as you walk , you let go the thing you carry , as more thing you let go , you will feel less burden , less weight to carry ...you will feel less suffer..until there is nothing ...you will be empty , you will be total freedom ...thats Buddhism to me currently .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150093
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.22.2013
07:16PM EDT 
vertical line I don`t care:)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
02:02AM EDT 
vertical line Yeah don't carry too much in your mind. Don't think...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150100
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.23.2013
10:03AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

I found benefits in non thinking thoughts.for example two weeks ago we bought a new second hand car.When I first saw the advert I had felt CLEAR and an eagerness to buy it...We never had the slightest trouble while buying it.Also the car came out VERY VERY CLEAR than I expected.The non thinking thoughts made a success of it.You can use non thinking thoughts all in your daily problems and daily activities

24/7

Use it.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150102
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
03:04PM EDT 
vertical line Of course if you don't think you have no karma. If you don't think all your sufferings are gone...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150108
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
03:05PM EDT 
vertical line Not thinking is Nirvana...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150109
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
03:08PM EDT 
vertical line So many people are searching all their life for Nirvana yet they are continuously thinking of Nirvana. How can you find Nirvana if your search is thinking of Nirvana.. No way...lol.
Just stop thinking and Nirvana is there...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150110
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.23.2013
05:36PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Not thinking is Nirvana...lol "

I know a lot of the non thinking type of people ....
They are called managers at my job .... hahaha

Again, unless you explain in more detail about what you mean then you are not helping anyone with your sound bite or motto.

We aren't trying to stop thought.
When we practice Zazen or meditation, we are trying to be more mindful or alert .... focused attention ..... awareness.
Remember the basics ... we let thought go ... we don't try to stop thoughts nor do we chase nor suppress them. It is about being more mindful, aware.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150112
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
08:25PM EDT 
vertical line Well when your mind does not produce thoughts what is there to let go. You may even attached to them or cannot let go.

You sit zazen mindful of the breathe so that no thoughts could arise. If thoughts arise go back to the breathe. Going back to the breathe is actually stop thoughts to arise..lol

Is that not simple enough... how many decades you could learn that...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150113
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.23.2013
08:45PM EDT 
vertical line corr... stopping thoughts to arise....lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150115
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Feb.23.2013
10:06PM EDT 
vertical line This topic has really got me thinking...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150117
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.23.2013
10:15PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Well when your mind does not produce thoughts what is there to let go. You may even attached to them or cannot let go.

You sit zazen mindful of the breathe so that no thoughts could arise. If thoughts arise go back to the breathe. Going back to the breathe is actually stop thoughts to arise..lol

Is that not simple enough... how many decades you could learn that...lol
"

No, we don't become mindful of breathe so that no thoughts could arise.
We become mindful of breathe to be mindful ... to be aware
When we practice this awareness then our minds naturally quiet down.
Going back to breathe is to bring your awareness back to the present moment.

If your focus is on just stopping thought then you will force thoughts to stop.
And, then you will sit in a void .... lost
You will not find Nirvana that way.
But, who knows what your path is??
You may just find yourself at its doors anyway .... or just be lost in the void .... haha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150119
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.24.2013
12:46AM EDT 
vertical line I think you really won't get it. You are just philosophizing too much...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150121
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.24.2013
07:27AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "This topic has really got me thinking... "

If I cause someone to deep thinking, I'm sorry. I don't really mean that.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150128
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.24.2013
08:30AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "I think you really won't get it. You are just philosophizing too much...lol "

This isn't philosophy. This is the practice. Being mindful.
If you believe it to be simply to stop thinking and you will achieve enlightenment then you will have a very long wait.
Go ahead and believe what you will .... haha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150129
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Feb.24.2013
05:10PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "This topic has really got me thinking... "

If I cause someone to deep thinking, I'm sorry. I don't really mean that.

"
Either someone is a jerk, or someone ruined a very much intended pun here:)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150136
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.24.2013
08:03PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "I think you really won't get it. You are just philosophizing too much...lol "

If you believe it to be simply to stop thinking and you will achieve enlightenment then you will have a very long wait.
"

Zazen is mindful to the breathe.. if thoughts arises go back to the breathe.. be aware only to the breathe. That means you have to be aware only of the breathe. If something else arises go back to the breathe. You don't need to be aware fo so many things, only with the breathe..lol

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150141
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.24.2013
08:40PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "I think you really won't get it. You are just philosophizing too much...lol "

"

Zazen is mindful to the breathe.. if thoughts arises go back to the breathe.. be aware only to the breathe. That means you have to be aware only of the breathe. If something else arises go back to the breathe. You don't need to be aware fo so many things, only with the breathe..lol

"

Here it is again ... by Riverstone,

The awareness before and after thinking, this is the practice. If your mind is chaotic with thought,
your awareness of this .. is the practice. A great effort to make your mind stop thinking is unnatural.
The practice facilitates the moments when thinking is practically not there, but it is organic, natural.
When you focus on an object so strongly, that you are no longer thinking this is called concentration practice.
The whole idea of concentration practice is to remain aware, but aware without the rejection of the flowing of the present moment.
Should that moment contain, irritation, chaotic thoughts, or pleasant feelings, it is your awareness which is the practice.
Attachment to discomfort or pleasure will cause you to spiral in many directions,
but acknowledgement and honoring what arises and falls away as you release it, this is the practice.
Awareness does not reject anything, it sees the arising thought, reflects the thought,
And it stops reflecting it when the thought is gone. Awareness is the mirror, undiscriminating in what it reflects.
You know when awareness is gone, that is when you remember to watch your breathing again,
And then, you are aware again. Breathing is incidental but it is a good lifeline when your mirror becomes clouded.
Eventually there is a slip that happens where thinking suddenly ceases. You can feel it, it feels like everything has gone quiet. This can not be made to happen.
When there is no awareness, you are controlled by your notions and will do much to protect the truth of your beliefs.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150145
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Feb.24.2013
10:32PM EDT 
vertical line Who is Riverstone....lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150146
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.25.2013
03:17AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Who is Riverstone....lol "

Did you miss the point again??
Did  you read and understand it??
Zazen is the practice of increasing mindfulness, awareness.
Not forcing the mind to stop thinking ... not shutting down
But, you will do what you believe to be right ... I only wish you luck ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150154
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Feb.25.2013
05:50AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "You know when awareness is gone, that is when you remember to watch your breathing again "

When you're in a non thinking state sometimes a thing or an event attract your attention.And after a while it come true or run in same direction.Isn't this the reflection or the awareness which is mentioned?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150159
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Feb.25.2013
06:56AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "You know when awareness is gone, that is when you remember to watch your breathing again "

When you're in a non thinking state sometimes a thing or an event attract your attention.And after a while it come true or run in same direction.Isn't this the reflection or the awareness which is mentioned?

"

No
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150163
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN GARDEN
by Lucy Bishop
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s