history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 30 2014 03:55PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  When a monk was traveling on the road, he met an old woman, and asked:
-I would like to know which way that leads to Chao-chou, would you please give me the direction?
The old waman replied:
-Just go straight, don't make any... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: IGNORANT TEACHER
vertical line Posted on Mar.03.2013 @ 10:36PM EDT by QuantumZen
I am merely a kid amazed by nice play of moonlight in the pond. I achieved no nirvana, I probably had no Kenso either. I haven't read thousands of sutras or vedas. Yet I like describing myself as a zen buddhist. It helps me to cope with some harsh events of reality and be positive all the time. Yet my Friends are suffering and as much as I'd like to say "just sit" to them, it doesn't work. Hence my question: Can I help them? (Or better stay silent at least not risking to do harm with misunderstandings of zen) And how? To many people "sit and breathe" sounds comical.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email QuantumZen
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Mar.03.2013
11:12PM EDT 
vertical line You cannot really help them. A good example is how Zen Buddhist practitioners reacts violently to not thinking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150282
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Mar.04.2013
09:06AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line If compassion for your friends is driving your desire to help them ... then my advice is to first help yourself.
When you have achieved enlightenment and gained wisdom, only then, you can help them in the manner that you wish.

For now, just remember everyone sometimes suffers and everyone sometimes enjoys life too.
And keep practicing .... hahahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150284
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from QuantumZen
Mar.04.2013
06:34PM EDT 
Email QuantumZen
vertical line I need a teacher so much, but in my city there is only one Zen Center and so called zen masters only give lectures on history of Buddhism and eastern philosophy.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150289
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Mar.04.2013
08:52PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Sometimes you may find one person in a group that can help you in your practice and understanding.
It really does help to have a sangha or community of people whom you are close to.
Anyway, hope you find your way.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150291
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Mar.05.2013
12:09AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "If compassion for your friends is driving your desire to help them ... then my advice is to first help yourself.
When you have achieved enlightenment and gained wisdom, only then, you can help them in the manner that you wish.

For now, just remember everyone sometimes suffers and everyone sometimes enjoys life too.
And keep practicing .... hahahaha
"
I agree 200%...S"
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150293
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Mar.05.2013
12:10AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I need a teacher so much, but in my city there is only one Zen Center and so called zen masters only give lectures on history of Buddhism and eastern philosophy. "

So it seems they are just scholars...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150294
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this SITASAMVARA
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s