history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 30 2014 01:57AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Anyone walking about Chinatowns in America with observe statues of a stout fellow carrying a linen sack. Chinese merchants call him Happy Chinaman or Laughing Buddha. This Hotei lived in the T'ang dynasty. He had no desire to call himself... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WORDS
vertical line Posted on Apr.01.2013 @ 07:22AM EDT by cinchona
words are dharma
thoughts are dharma

So should we abandon words and thoughts or sing and dance in dharma joy?
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.01.2013
01:25PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line I enjoy singing and dancing.  And I enjoy talking and walking.  And I enjoy being quiet and sitting.  Why pick and choose? 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150686
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:05PM EDT 
vertical line Words are not it...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150695
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:07PM EDT 
vertical line But they can point it...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150696
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:09PM EDT 
vertical line But if they are your words they cannot point to anything...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150697
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:12PM EDT 
vertical line So don't waste  your time and effort and money..lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150698
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.01.2013
04:15PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line What does money have to do with it? And what else are we to spend our time and effort on if not each other?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150699
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:17PM EDT 
vertical line Well you can ask that question to yourself.. your answer is the best answer..lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150700
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:18PM EDT 
vertical line I mean the best for you. But necessarily best for me.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150701
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.01.2013
04:23PM EDT 
vertical line Ok I will answer. If you are always thinking and talking you need energy. Then you need more food. Then you buy food. Is that not spending money...lol

Then you need a Zen Forum to talk... it cause money too..although not your money... I guess...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150702
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.01.2013
06:36PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Well, I have never had a glimpse of kensho or of anything profound.  I do not have any real Answers and so I think there is little value in my own answer for myself or anyone else.

Still, you do raise some very good points and have some very good answers which is why I ask questions.  I merely wish to know more.  I particularly liked that one about money.  I do not know who owns this domain or who pays for the bandwidth.  And that is shameful.  I have, apparently, been here 1,155 times according to firefox's memory on only one computer.  But be it cheap or expensive I certainly aught to have given my thanks before now.  I have not been coming here long, and I do not stay consistently, yet this site means a great deal to me and I would be very sad if it were to go away.  So thank you, up-keepers, sincerely, and my apologies for not acknowledging you before now. 

You had another very good point:  that expending energy in talking and thinking is divorced from Zen.  That is, "If you are always thinking and talking you need energy. Then you need more food.".  Which is very true.  And taken to it's logical conclusion living requires food.  And the only way to escape the need for food is not to live.

There is a Jain (Jainism a sister idea to Buddhism) idea this reminds me of called "Sallekhana" or "Santhara" that I have looked into a few times.  It takes the idea that reality, or enlightenment, is not to be found in anything that possesses any cost.  This includes food which at the very least costs the death of something else.  Consequently, the practitioner commits ritual suicide via self-starvation.  By custom the practitioner does not speak and upon slipping into a coma engages in varying degrees of no-thought before death claims them.  

Also there is your perennial advice not to think, and certainly you know that when the body is deprived of thought (by breaking the spinal cord too close to the medulla sheering off all neural communication for example) the body quickly dies.  You advocate not thinking and you advocate not doing anything which requires needing more food.  Doesn't this imply that both of your answers are euphemistic pathways toward suicide?  Does this not necessarily mean that you assert that death is greater than life?  That only be engaging in practices by which life is impossible enlightenment can be found?

If so you are in very good company.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood you.  I have only your words to go by and you discredit those so.  Still, I know of no other way to communicate with you or to make use of this fine forum for which other people pay.  And wouldn't it be the height of rudeness to let their expense go to waste?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150706
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.02.2013
04:18AM EDT 
vertical line You mean all the years spent here before I came aren't wasted?... lol..

Can tell me what you have accomplished?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150708
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.02.2013
08:01AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line I am not sure precisely what your questions refer to.  Forgive me I have small skill with comprehending such brief words so, please, understand I am only guessing that my responses are germane to your questions. 

For the former, I believe you are referring to the expenses of the forum at large.  As such of course I can furnish to answer, the only ones who can decide if the coin required to operate this space was wasted are the ones who actually supply the coin.  Who else can say if they feel their costs are justified now, in the past, or in the future?

As for the latter question I set out only to ask a question.  I cannot say if I have "accomplished" this because I do not know if the question was understood.  Can a question unanswered be accomplished?  Is that even what questions are?  Discreet entitees that can be "accomplished"?  Forgive me, I didn't even know there was anything to be accomplished.  That's why I come to you, you have such great wisdom and so many answers.  I can only imagine how much then you must have accomplished. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150715
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.02.2013
08:05AM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line *As such of course I can furnish no answer, the only ones who can decide if the coin required to operate this space was wasted are the ones who actually supply the coin.

Sorry.  My grasp on reality is still weak and sometimes I read what I thought I wrote instead of what I actually typed. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150716
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
Apr.02.2013
08:20AM EDT 
vertical line There once was a monk who heard that on another continent their was a man who had mastered the art of levitation, fascinated with the idea he spent 20 years practicing hoping one day to levitate across the river. when buddha heard of this he said "why bother when for the price of a small coin the ferry men will take you".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150717
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Apr.02.2013
10:14AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "Ok I will answer. If you are always thinking and talking you need energy. Then you need more food. Then you buy food. Is that not spending money...lol

Then you need a Zen Forum to talk... it cause money too..although not your money... I guess...lol
"
somehow i think that is your concern you are vocalising
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150718
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.02.2013
12:38PM EDT 
vertical line Dudes.. are you serious... I am only kidding.. because the question is funny...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150727
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.02.2013
02:32PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line I'm sorry. I did totally miss that you were being funny. I did like what Cinchona said but I fear I totally missed the joke. So if you were kidding I should take your meaning to be that words are the way to understand Buddhism?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150729
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from nibble
Apr.02.2013
05:06PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "There once was a monk who heard that on another continent their was a man who had mastered the art of levitation, fascinated with the idea he spent 20 years practicing hoping one day to levitate across the river. when buddha heard of this he said "why bother when for the price of a small coin the ferry men will take you"."
Yeah, right.. (man, it would be soo frigging awesome to be able to levitate:))
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150730
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from frozenaomi
Apr.02.2013
07:49PM EDT 
Email frozenaomi
vertical line Maybe.  I am an aweful big fan of rollercoasters and riding them is a lot less work.  But parks are expensive.  And who am I kidding levitating would be a blast.  
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150734
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
Apr.03.2013
01:07AM EDT 
vertical line the mind is levitating.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150747
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from boymonk
Apr.03.2013
05:04PM EDT 
vertical line We sing with words...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150785
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
Apr.03.2013
09:22PM EDT 
vertical line and dance with thoughts...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150797
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Apr.04.2013
07:09AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "What does money have to do with it? And what else are we to spend our time and effort on if not each other?

Well, I have never had a glimpse of kensho or of anything profound.  I do not have any real Answers and so I think there is little value in my own answer for myself or anyone else.
"

Our time and efforts on each other ...  yes, that sounds right
Compassion and love command this

Whether you have or have not experienced anything profound,
You should remember that you are profound and deep.
What you think does matter. Your answers are worth the price of admission ... hahaha
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 150817
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN CIRCLE
by Torei Enji
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s