history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Sep 18 2014 01:38AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Yamaoka Tesshu, as a young student of Zen, visited one
master after another. He called upon Dokuon of Shokoku.

Desiring to show his attainment, he said: "The mind,
Buddha, and sentient beings, after all, do not exist.
... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: TELL US ABOUT YOUR PRACTICE
vertical line Posted on May.10.2013 @ 04:42AM EDT by esoteric
I'm making this topic for Avisitor. I'm sorry you're having a difficult time, man. I'll do what I can to answer any questions you might have. Hopefully we can all come TOGETHER to discuss this topic in a helpful way. For us, for you, helping and making better.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.10.2013
04:46AM EDT 
vertical line I do not sit zazen every day, although my body/mind tells me I should. Sitting zazen is practice. Not sitting zazen is practice.

I'm writing this and watching as I write this. This is practice. Knowing none of this is the whole truth is practice. Smiling. My smile is practice.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152165
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.10.2013
04:46AM EDT 
vertical line Love you, Avisitor. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152166
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.10.2013
08:14AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line I see things as is, if something comes up i discern if it is ego, if so i drop it, or if it is strong i look at it and ask why.

if i find something i follow it to its conclusion, and in this way it disappears,

I pay attention to everything, i think, i feel, i believe (this is the ego one)

i count breaths, whenever i feel strongly,

i understand without understanding, that this too will pass,

and i am amazed by every miracle i see

i do not take myself very seriously

if i am gentle i am gentle, if i am strong i am strong, if i am angry i am angry,

but i do not ignore the visitor knocking at the door for the sake of which ever illusion i am with at the time.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152181
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.10.2013
08:21AM EDT 
vertical line Not ignoring. Yeah, I like that. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152183
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.17.2013
04:45AM EDT 
vertical line This week, I have been practicing engaging dialogue with friends who I see responding on Facebook with anger and meanness, to some people in the news and media who have exhibited troubling behavior: Mike Jeffries, the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch, and the owners of Amy's Baking Company Bistro, a restaurant that was featured in the season finale of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares.

My friends, who I know to be compassionate and caring people, seem to have lost their heads, using words of anger and derision against these strangers in the media. Their vitriolic posts then created a kind of chain reaction among their Facebook friends, causing a mob-like demonization of the people they criticize, degenerating into name-calling, bad language, angry thoughts, and eventually violent speech.

I've been practicing entering into dialogue in these conversations, with a voice of understanding and compassion for both the people being criticized and attacked, and the people doing the attacking. It has done some good, bringing awareness to these otherwise good people that their angry thoughts and speech toward other human beings comes from their own unresolved pain and troubled memories.

The response has generally been positive, with some thanking me for bringing perspective to their behavior in a non-judgmental way, showing them the cause and effect in a way that is supportive and helpful. Really, they know they shouldn't be acting and speaking like this, and they don't really want to. We are all here to help each other understand like this. It's lovely to see when it is working to raise awareness and help get rid of suffering in this way.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152374
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.17.2013
05:41AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Thanks for sharing, may the force be with u
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152375
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.17.2013
07:07AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Thanks for sharing, may the force be with u "

Yeah, you too. And, live long and prosper. :P
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152376
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.19.2013
09:51PM EDT 
vertical line You should practice with me so you could be more sane when you are with your friends...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152438
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
10:00PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You should practice with me so you could be more sane when you are with your friends...lol "

No need.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152440
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.19.2013
10:02PM EDT 
vertical line Well I think you should because you are not prepared yet. You easily get angry...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152441
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
10:04PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Well I think you should because you are not prepared yet. You easily get angry...lol "

No, I'm just drinking coffee and typing some words. "Angry" is just your thinking.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152443
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
10:05PM EDT 
vertical line You might ask yourself why you want people to get angry.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152444
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.19.2013
10:08PM EDT 
vertical line You don't know yet? I think you are a very slow learner...lol
So they will show there horns...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152447
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.20.2013
12:23AM EDT 
vertical line So what happened to Avisitor, that dude.. was he banned?...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152449
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.20.2013
01:44AM EDT 
vertical line sarcasm is noones friend.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152451
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.20.2013
01:46AM EDT 
vertical line Thats because you just want to sleep and slumber...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152453
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
04:22AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Thats because you just want to sleep and slumber...lol "

I am watching your meanness very carefully, with wide-awake eyes.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152458
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
04:23AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "So what happened to Avisitor, that dude.. was he banned?...lol "

He was upset. I hope he is well.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152459
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
04:42AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You don't know yet? I think you are a very slow learner...lol
So they will show there horns...lol
"

Tell me, who beat you into submission when you were a child?

Tell me, who beats you into submission now?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152464
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
04:56AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "
My friends, who I know to be compassionate and caring people, seem to have lost their heads, using words of anger and derision against these...people they criticize, degenerating into name-calling, bad language, angry thoughts, and eventually violent speech.

I've been practicing entering into dialogue in these conversations, with a voice of understanding and compassion for both the people being criticized and attacked, and the people doing the attacking. It has done some good, bringing awareness to these otherwise good people that their angry thoughts and speech toward other human beings comes from their own unresolved pain and troubled memories.

Quote: "You should practice with me so you could be more sane when you are with your friends...lol "
"

Pay attention, leoj99.

I am practicing with you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152465
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
05:18AM EDT 
vertical line Tell me, who cared for you with kindness and compassion when you were a child?

Tell me, who cares for you with kindness and compassion now?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152466
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.20.2013
10:06AM EDT 
vertical line When the moon comes out, I read buddhist poems.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.20.2013
11:35AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line

when i was in my teens and early twenties, i lived in a one room shack in the bush by myself. i had a dog, a bird (parrot never in the cage was very fierce) a cat who only stayed near the shack when i was there alone and would run away when ever any one came to visit. i would walk a lot, when i walked close the bird the cat and the dog would follow and all of us got along (no other animal messed with the bird :)) the dog and the cat were best friends and they would search for fleas on each other.

My friends could visit and i could go to town whenever i wished.
I sometimes worked but if i did not feel like it which was pretty regular, i would hear any approaching vehicle including my sometimes boss coming for kilometres so i would jump out of the window and hide in the bush, with the dog, she was very well trained because we spend all our time together, and she would not give me away.
my boss would yell 'just i know your out there your bed is still warm' :) i knew if i did not answer he would give up and go away, i also knew if i was to answer once the jig was up for all time.

i would spend days walking around looking at things, wearing just a pair of shorts, i had a canvas bag with a shower rose on the veranda to wash with but i was never very particular i would swim most every day.In the water hole where the bunyip lived, i swear i felt him atr times brush my legs under the dark tannin stained water.
i could go for weeks at a time and never talk to any other human, and i remember going into town and being surprised at the sound of my voice.
i read many books, i prayed, i meditated, i watched the animals, i listened to the sounds of nature. animals would approach very close to me , i once saw a large Goana walk through the shack pause to look at me and continue walking out the back door. I had mice and rats and snakes around fighting their battles, i would sit and lean on the window and talk to the frogs during wet weather, and they would answer back. I often wondered what they thought of the large white frog in the window. i would dance in the rain, and really it was very rare for me to consider anything different rain, sun, night day.

I have very good night vision and i could read by the moonlight on full moons. I can tell my direction by the sun and the stars. I can read tracks, I am very quiet when i walk. I will dream of Snakes and then know i will have an encounter the next day but it was ok we had a arrangement. (after that one bit me) i had 6-8 resident big wasps who would buzz around inside catching spiders.
I could sit for hours and watch ants on patrol. I cut my foot once during floods and i had to put four stitches in my foot, i had no choice there was no hospital.

I developed a cooking technique where i could cook my entire meal in one pot, and i cooked on a gas bbq, i was mostly pretty skinny, my mother knew when she wanted to see me all she needed to do was cook a roast dinner and i would somehow know and make the 70 kilometre journey to her home to eat. I did not like to stay in town very much so i would ride the motor cycle home early in the morning (3-4 am) i have slept soaked from the rain in my sopping sleeping bag soundly as anyone could on the most luxurious bed. There was long grass around the shack and i would make the leap of faith in the dark to walk the 4 metres to the tap on the tank to drink (no running water here) i always knew i was ok. There were many sounds and movements at night but i was only every wary of the two legged variety and fortunately those sound very very unusual in the night in nature. And were only my friends arriving after the long trip through floods or after bogging their car, J

I had several guitars and would sing and play and when my friends visited or my brother we would all play. I had a drum kit and my Grandfather who was several kilometres away on another property imagined he was in the deep dark kongo at night listening to secret messages, he would tell me.

i think i learnt Zen in this place, later i began to read about it and then talk here on this forum :)

I then began to ‘practice’ and formally decide to be natural.

The feelings of that place and who i am have never left me, i have been fortunate to be allowed to develop who i am without the undue influence of others (maybe in a limited way) i have learnt to get along with people but never lost the ease of being alone, I prefer my own company mostly, but i can interact.

Later i went and accomplished tertiary education and joined the world but one day i will return to where i am from. I am where i am,

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.20.2013
11:37AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i only left that place because i became a father and my missus wanted to live in town permanently and not spend half her time out there with me,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152469
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.20.2013
11:47AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line when i learn anything, i am aware of a particular sense of re-remembering never learning anything new only ever re-aquiring something forgotten , something covered by the symphony of the world. not many people i have talked to understand what the phrase 'nature speaks the dharma' means but i do. I know many Aboriginals here and they tell me i was taught by that place to be human, to be a part of the world. to humbly  understand what is not humble, but you know, we all go back to that place at sometime and when we do it will seem like we have never left.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152470
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
May.20.2013
12:24PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line nice justin, very cool
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152471
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.20.2013
12:58PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line hey no worries, i hope you enjoyed your visit :) 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
May.20.2013
02:00PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line It is my weakness.How do you use your speech to reach them?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152473
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.20.2013
08:53PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line to reach the frogs ? i can croak very well

i think animals will respond well to feeling, if you approach a animal with the intent to hurt it they understand, if you approach with the intent to want to interact they understand, i do not really know why or how but it works.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152474
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Zephyr
May.20.2013
10:11PM EDT 
vertical line I always forget my practice.

My practice always forgets I.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152475
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.20.2013
11:20PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

To my current understanding , Buddhism is not " a practice" out of desire or emotions but a process of awake to aware , aware to realize , realize to accept , accept to further aware ........so as we journey into this path , our emotions / desire etc will be decreased and moving towards emptiness .

Thks

CSEe 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152479
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.21.2013
02:02AM EDT 
vertical line Wow that is too much talking... took you half a day to compose that?...lol

It almost like many people they are always on the phone talking almost the whole day and night...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152484
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.21.2013
02:38AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line nope it was all simultaneous, instant writing as i think. no composition just free thought without any sticking.

you can tell by the many mistakes,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.21.2013
02:43AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line we were asked about practice, so i explain, what occurs, now something else occurs and i write about that,

just do your thing and you will be fine,

if you are stopped in not thinking so be it, dont worry everything passes,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152487
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.21.2013
05:23AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Wow that is too much talking... took you half a day to compose that?...lol

It almost like many people they are always on the phone talking almost the whole day and night...lol
"

What's wrong with you?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152490
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.21.2013
05:24AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "nope it was all simultaneous, instant writing as i think. no composition just free thought without any sticking.

you can tell by the many mistakes,
"

You're a gift, Justin. Thank you for sharing your story. Wonderful. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.21.2013
05:27AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I always forget my practice.

My practice always forgets I.
"

That's a lot of "I".
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152492
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.21.2013
05:35AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line no worries i am glad u came to visit too,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152495
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA TRIPOT OIL BURNER
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s