history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo
 
Sunday Aug 31 2014 12:30AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Posted on Aug.08.2009 @ 10:58PM EDT by chontri
What, monks, is the world? The eye and shapes, the ear and sounds,
the nose and smells, the tongue and tastes, the body and tactile objects,
the mind and mental objects - these... continue...

z
.
e
.
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ANTHROPOLOGY STUDY ABOUT ZEN BUDDHISM IN THE U.S
vertical line Posted on May.17.2013 @ 02:27PM EDT by emmab88
Dear Zen practitioners,
 
I am currently enrolled in an intro to anthropology class and our last assignment is a short ethnography.

My topic is Zen Buddhism in America and I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to tell me more about their practice.

How did you get started?

How many years have you practiced.?

What is it about Zen Buddhism that caught your interest? / What was your reason for becoming a Buddhist/ starting to practice Zen?

If anyone has suggestions for books or articles regarding the topic that would be helpful as well.


Thanks,
Emma

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from football
May.17.2013
07:01PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line ask esoteric.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152378
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.18.2013
03:31AM EDT 
vertical line I don't know much about Zen Buddhism in America as a practitioner. I do live in America, but I don't practice Zen Buddhism the way Zen Buddhist teachers teach how to practice Zen Buddhism. The best place to learn that would be from a Zen Buddhist teacher at a temple or Zen center in America, and from people who attend those places and practice Zen Buddhism as it is taught by Zen Buddhist teachers (sensei or roshi).

I first learned about Zen 29 years ago, when I was 10 years old, from a G.I. Joe comic book that featured ninja from Japan. I began learning about real Zen Buddhism 22 years ago, when I was in high school and began meditating and studying eastern religions and philosophies. I began studying Buddhism more seriously and vigorously about 5 years ago. I began trying to sit zazen correctly a few years ago, when I decided I wanted to practice according to the actual Zen Buddhist teaching on how to sit zazen. I began sitting in full lotus 2 years ago, after sitting every day for about a year. But I have only practiced a few times in the presence of a teacher, or with a sangha.

What caught my interest in Zen initially, with the ninja from G.I. Joe, was its presentation as a practice of self-control, inner peace, purity, and simplicity. Those elements seemed to me to be the essence of beauty, wisdom, and perfection in life.

I've learned and unlearned a few things since then.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152382
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.18.2013
03:37AM EDT 
vertical line I recommend reading Zen Mind, Beginner Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, The Compass of Zen by Master Seung Sahn, and The Three Pillars of Zen by Roshi Philip Kapleau. Those three authors were all Zen teachers in America, from three different sects of Zen, and from three different countries. Kapleau was an American, and one of the first Americans to open a Zen center here. (It's still open, if you would like to contact them.)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152384
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.18.2013
03:46AM EDT 
vertical line Hello Emma,

to understand buddhism and to practice buddhism are very different things.

to understand buddhism - do what you are doing
to practice buddhism - be kind
to understand buddhism - be kind
to practice buddhism do what you are doing.

to understand zen and to practice zen are very different things.

to understand zen - don't think
to practice zen - do what you are doing
to understand zen - do what you are doing
to practice zen - don't think.

wichever you choose this monk whishes you nothing but perfect happinness.

goodluck with your study. i think you'll do well :))
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152386
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.18.2013
03:49AM EDT 
vertical line That's a beautiful description of practicing Zen, cinchona. Thank you. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152387
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.18.2013
03:59AM EDT 
vertical line There is freedom for everyone.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152389
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.18.2013
04:01AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "There is freedom for everyone."
.........

:-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152390
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.18.2013
04:03AM EDT 
vertical line I think you are confusing Emma...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152391
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.18.2013
04:15AM EDT 
vertical line I think Emma is a blossoming lotus.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152392
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from emmab88
May.18.2013
08:30AM EDT 
vertical line Thank you esoteric for your elaborate answer. Very interesting and helpful.

I would really appreciate if more people would take time to tell me a bit about their practice or interest in Zen.

 


 





vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152393
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from emmab88
May.18.2013
08:35AM EDT 
vertical line Thank you cinchona for the description of the differences between the practice and understanding of Buddhism and Zen.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152394
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.18.2013
09:24AM EDT 
vertical line oh you mean zen and buddhism?

i heard some people talking about it once,
gosh! what was it they said agian.
seems i've forgotten.
oh well, tea sounds good.


only kidding....

actually, i was sitting looking at an oak tree one day and it just hit me.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152395
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from Shang Lin
May.18.2013
11:07AM EDT 
vertical line My experience with Zen started through interaction with my teacher, who belongs to the Korean lineage of Seon Buddhism. He has been a guide to me throughout these years and has helped me deepen my practice, culminating in my initiation to lead and teach meditation. I've also practiced with a nearby Japanese Soto Zen community and a Vipassana meditation center.

I've practiced Zen Buddhism formally for four years. This has included multiple Zen retreats and hundreds of hours of meditation along with sutra and koan study. For the past four years, I've sat zazen an average of 30 minutes per day. For the past year in particular, I've established a more intensive meditation practice, ranging from one hour minimum to ten hours per day.

Zen Buddhism initially caught my interest for its non-dual approach to wide-eyed awakeness. In my experience, Zen is extraordinarily ordinary. The minimalism has kept me around. Previous to my formal encounter with Zen, I was practicing Buddhism without a community for several additional years. The core teachings of Buddhism, regarding the origination and cessation of suffering, resonated with me and drew me in.

As others have suggested, Zen Mind, Beginner Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, The Compass of Zen by Master Seung Sahn, and The Three Pillars of Zen by Roshi Philip Kapleau are superb resources. For primary source material, the Shobogenzo by Dogen Zenji and The Record of Linji, as well as two major koan selections - the Mumonkan (Gateless Gate) and Hekiganroku (Blue Cliff Record) - are also top-notch.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152398
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
May.18.2013
11:39AM EDT 
vertical line The first zen line i heard was "if a tree falls in the forest and there is nothing around to hear it, does it make a sound?" i was to young to know this was zen, it was put to me by my father when i was very little maybe 6 or so, the next that i can recall was "what is the sound of one hand claping?" my brothers and i were fascinated by these ridiculos questions and would try and pick them apart.

Zen went quite for me growing up it was in my mind lurking in the depths, waiting for its time to work its way out of me and through me, and my father spoke only occassionaly of the way, mostly in praise of the kindness associated to buddhism, as well as a few stories like the monk who tried to stop a bullet with his mind and failed.

I had an underlying interest in the spiritual world and natural healing ideas they evoked, but for most of the time it was just an interest and nothing more, something i wanted to pursue but being so impressionable by society i tried to forget it and just stick to the mainstream way of life. Not finding happinness for myself and running into more than a bit of trouble as well as depression and addiction, my father says to me "sitting quiet doing nothing, spring comes and the grass grows by itself". immediatly these lines dispelled 10 years of confusion, and i could see Zen again. but still much work to be done. I moved out to the country and sought work picking fruit which was to remain my income for the next ten years, was not long after i had left when i recieved a book from my father Titled "Beyond Violence" written by Krishnamurti, When i was reading it one day a small piece of paper fell onto my lap, it read "No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place."

much thanks to him and his humble method

From then on everytime i went to my parents house i would take another book or two "Studies of the middle way" , "The Tibetin book of living and dying", Are some of the books i began with. These days i study herbal medicine and read only short poetry the shorter the better.

If i was to recommend anything now it would be the words of his holiness the Dalai Lama, they are perfect buddhism.

I went to a small monastry once at the invitation of a friend, we sat in meditation for a while listened to some short srciptures, then practiced walking meditation while the head monk rang his bell, we then had lunch, it was a nice day among very kind people. I returned to her some fruit the following day, and she gave me books, prayer beeds, an amitabha chanting chime, and a blessing.

That's my journey, from Australia
Hope it helps.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152400
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
07:09AM EDT 
vertical line My practice in the last few years has also included divorce, playing with my children, video games, love affairs, illness, writing, thinking, washing dishes, drinking coffee, hiking, watching birds, using the bathroom, taking showers, going to funerals, talking, driving, shopping, working, and helping people.

I couldn't possibly tell you about all of my practice. To see that, you would have had to be me for the past 39 years.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152415
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.19.2013
08:01AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line nice eso, very cool 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152416
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.19.2013
01:40PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "My practice in the last few years has also included divorce, playing with my children, video games, love affairs, illness, writing, thinking, washing dishes, drinking coffee, hiking, watching birds, using the bathroom, taking showers, going to funerals, talking, driving, shopping, working, and helping people.

I couldn't possibly tell you about all of my practice. To see that, you would have had to be me for the past 39 years.
"
.........

I think you missed the most important thing and that what matters...lol... Not thinking, and not talking...lol
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152420
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
02:47PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "My practice in the last few years has also included divorce, playing with my children, video games, love affairs, illness, writing, thinking, washing dishes, drinking coffee, hiking, watching birds, using the bathroom, taking showers, going to funerals, talking, driving, shopping, working, and helping people.

I couldn't possibly tell you about all of my practice. To see that, you would have had to be me for the past 39 years.
"
.........

I think you missed the most important thing and that what matters...lol... Not thinking, and not talking...lol
"
.........

You weren't paying attention.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152423
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
03:16PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Thank you esoteric for your elaborate answer. Very interesting and helpful.

I would really appreciate if more people would take time to tell me a bit about their practice or interest in Zen.
 

"
.........

You're very welcome, Emma.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152427
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.19.2013
08:52PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line  cognitive disonance 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152433
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.19.2013
09:39PM EDT 
vertical line You should be thankful I just reminded you of the most important things that matters in your practice....LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152435
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.19.2013
10:02PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "You should be thankful I just reminded you of the most important things that matters in your practice....LOL "
.........

"You should be" is a very strange idea. So is "most important things."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152442
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
May.20.2013
02:00AM EDT 
vertical line I cannot write something because although I am in the US my Zen practice was basically did not start in the US...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152455
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.20.2013
04:26AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I cannot write something because although I am in the US my Zen practice was basically did not start in the US... "
.........

Which has nothing at all to do with anything anyone said or asked.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152461
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.22.2013
10:26AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

In my current understanding , Mr siddharta had found the answer of all the question in the concept of Buddha and Buddhism . Buddhism is the natural process of all existance , answer to all question , question of all answer , reason to extist and the end of all existance . Buddhism is the natural process of all living -human , animal , plant , micro-orgsm etc and non-living-rock , soil , water , table , pen etc evolving , progressing in a journey to release its polluted energy that causes its existance towards freedom of this polluted energy into emptiness back into nothingness .

as human the cause of our existance is all our emotions / desire / love / hate etc and we will continue to exist as long as we still attached to this emotion - this polluted energy . Buddhism is a process that human will discover all his emotions by own experiences , exploration and progress into accepting it and freedom of it ............as human process into this self realization , his attachment on his emotions will decreased and leading into condition freedom of all will , all desire , all emotions even freedom from the will to exist ........so back to your question :-

How did you get started?

Answer :- Self realization .

How many years have you practiced.?

Answer : There is no 'practice" in Buddhism , just self realization , awake to aware , aware to realize , realize to accept , accept top further aware .

What is it about Zen Buddhism that caught your interest?

Answer : The process into emptiness is one and you can call it with any name .

 What was your reason for becoming a Buddhist/ starting to practice Zen?

answer : All living or non-living is Buddhist and all is SAME and EQUAL . As I am SAME and EQUAL with the sun , with the dirt under your shoe .........

Buddhism is all about exploring your desire NOT to creates desire to " practice".....

In my current understanding , Buddhism is all about learning to discover ownselves NEVER about teaching so lets share .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152514
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from football
May.22.2013
04:42PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line you mean the sun and the dirt under your shoe same and equal?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152515
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.22.2013
09:28PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "you mean the sun and the dirt under your shoe same and equal?"
.........

In my current understanding of Buddhism , YES .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152518
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.22.2013
11:10PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

In my current understanding , Mr siddharta had found the answer of all the question in the concept of Buddha and Buddhism . Buddhism is the natural process of all existance , answer to all question , question of all answer , reason to extist and the end of all existance . Buddhism is the natural process of all living -human , animal , plant , micro-orgsm etc and non-living-rock , soil , water , table , pen etc evolving , progressing in a journey to release its polluted energy that causes its existance towards freedom of this polluted energy into emptiness back into nothingness .

as human the cause of our existance is all our emotions / desire / love / hate etc and we will continue to exist as long as we still attached to this emotion - this polluted energy . Buddhism is a process that human will discover all his emotions by own experiences , exploration and progress into accepting it and freedom of it ............as human process into this self realization , his attachment on his emotions will decreased and leading into condition freedom of all will , all desire , all emotions even freedom from the will to exist ........so back to your question :-

How did you get started?

Answer :- Self realization .

How many years have you practiced.?

Answer : There is no 'practice" in Buddhism , just self realization , awake to aware , aware to realize , realize to accept , accept top further aware .

What is it about Zen Buddhism that caught your interest?

Answer : The process into emptiness is one and you can call it with any name .

 What was your reason for becoming a Buddhist/ starting to practice Zen?

answer : All living or non-living is Buddhist and all is SAME and EQUAL . As I am SAME and EQUAL with the sun , with the dirt under your shoe .........

Buddhism is all about exploring your desire NOT to creates desire to " practice".....

In my current understanding , Buddhism is all about learning to discover ownselves NEVER about teaching so lets share .

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

CSEe, with all due respect, when we talk about "practice", we are talking about everythgin you said here. You just described your practice. Thank you for that. Calling it "not practice" and saying "there is no practice" is just silly, after you explained it all just there.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152521
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.22.2013
11:14PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "you mean the sun and the dirt under your shoe same and equal?"
.........

In my current understanding of Buddhism , YES .

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

Sun is sun. Dirt is dirt. Shoe is shoe. You are you.

Same as in "same Buddha nature", sure. Same as in "equal in existence", sure. But not same and equal in every way, no.

Drink a cup of tea. Then Drink a cup of motor oil. You'll see what I mean. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152522
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.22.2013
11:18PM EDT 
vertical line Actually, no. Please don't drink a cup of motor oil. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152523
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.22.2013
11:34PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear Esoteric , thanks for your reply , you said , I quote " CSEe, with all due respect, when we talk about "practice", we are talking about everythgin you said here. You just described your practice. Thank you for that. Calling it "not practice" and saying "there is no practice" is just silly, after you explained it all just there." Un-quote

Perhaps is understanding of words but from my understanding , " Practice" is an form of act , a result of desire to perform , a commitment of faith etc ...which I cant relate any to my current understanding of Buddhism .

I do not " practice" any regardless action , faith , beliefs in Buddhism ...as Buddhism to me CURRENTLY is self realization , a process of discovering own emotions leading to decreasing of attachment NOT to creates more emotion of practicing Buddhism .

Is total freedom in Buddhism never confined in any practice , any form of beliefs etc ......so tell me how could you " practice" if your path is not to creates more emotions or to gain more knowledge but as you progress it will naturally decrease your emotion , decrease your will to know ...............

Thks

CSEe

vertical line ?Quote & Reply   ?Post Reply 152521
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152525
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.22.2013
11:54PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear Esoteric , you said  I quote " Sun is sun. Dirt is dirt. Shoe is shoe. You are you.Same as in "same Buddha nature", sure. Same as in "equal in existence", sure. But not same and equal in every way, no.Drink a cup of tea. Then Drink a cup of motor oil. You'll see what I mean. :-) Un-quote

You are refering / basing your reason to your KNOWLEDGE . Your knowledge that you gain from your education , your sociaty , your parent had created yourselves shaped your emotions and you are expressing yourself in all your lives ..................thats human culture .... but Buddhism is BEYOND all , beyond all culture . In my current understanding of Buddhism the sun and dirt are two being in each own process leading to emptiness same as you or me . All being is NEVER related as you are in your process , the leaf outside your garden is also in its own process back into nothingness ....same process known to me as Buddhism . So you said about drinking tea and drinking motor oil ...you are refering to your condition after you drink it and with that you see the differences ....to me in Buddhism , is all about exploring on your desire to drink , your emotion on chosing what to drink , your emotion on drinking it , your emotion after drinking it ....NOT to creates attachment on the result but is to explore your emotions , your desire and as you progress you will naturally decrease in all emotions ...leading to freedom of any emotions , into emptiness back into nothingness . ...

Thks

CSEe 

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152526
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from football
May.23.2013
05:12AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "you mean the sun and the dirt under your shoe same and equal?"
.........

In my current understanding of Buddhism , YES .

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

"
.........

If you say, yes 30 blows, if you say No 30 blows" don't you know this koan?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152536
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from justin
May.23.2013
05:39AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "

Dear Esoteric , you said  I quote " Sun is sun. Dirt is dirt. Shoe is shoe. You are you.Same as in "same Buddha nature", sure. Same as in "equal in existence", sure. But not same and equal in every way, no.Drink a cup of tea. Then Drink a cup of motor oil. You'll see what I mean. :-) Un-quote

You are refering / basing your reason to your KNOWLEDGE . Your knowledge that you gain from your education , your sociaty , your parent had created yourselves shaped your emotions and you are expressing yourself in all your lives ..................thats human culture .... but Buddhism is BEYOND all , beyond all culture . In my current understanding of Buddhism the sun and dirt are two being in each own process leading to emptiness same as you or me . All being is NEVER related as you are in your process , the leaf outside your garden is also in its own process back into nothingness ....same process known to me as Buddhism . So you said about drinking tea and drinking motor oil ...you are refering to your condition after you drink it and with that you see the differences ....to me in Buddhism , is all about exploring on your desire to drink , your emotion on chosing what to drink , your emotion on drinking it , your emotion after drinking it ....NOT to creates attachment on the result but is to explore your emotions , your desire and as you progress you will naturally decrease in all emotions ...leading to freedom of any emotions , into emptiness back into nothingness . ...

Thks

CSEe 

"
.........

so you didnt drink the motor oil :)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152537
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
06:27AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

Dear Esoteric , thanks for your reply , you said , I quote " CSEe, with all due respect, when we talk about "practice", we are talking about everythgin you said here. You just described your practice. Thank you for that. Calling it "not practice" and saying "there is no practice" is just silly, after you explained it all just there." Un-quote

Perhaps is understanding of words but from my understanding , " Practice" is an form of act , a result of desire to perform , a commitment of faith etc ...which I cant relate any to my current understanding of Buddhism .

I do not " practice" any regardless action , faith , beliefs in Buddhism ...as Buddhism to me CURRENTLY is self realization , a process of discovering own emotions leading to decreasing of attachment NOT to creates more emotion of practicing Buddhism .

Is total freedom in Buddhism never confined in any practice , any form of beliefs etc ......so tell me how could you " practice" if your path is not to creates more emotions or to gain more knowledge but as you progress it will naturally decrease your emotion , decrease your will to know ...............

Thks

CSEe


vertical line ?Quote & Reply   ?Post Reply 152521
"
.........

Your "no practice" that you described is your practice. Everything you do and are, day and night, all of your self-realization, decreasing emotion and attachment, and "current understanding" is practice.

You say that Buddhism is a process. That process is practice.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152539
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
06:32AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Dear Esoteric , you said  I quote " Sun is sun. Dirt is dirt. Shoe is shoe. You are you.Same as in "same Buddha nature", sure. Same as in "equal in existence", sure. But not same and equal in every way, no.Drink a cup of tea. Then Drink a cup of motor oil. You'll see what I mean. :-) Un-quote

You are refering / basing your reason to your KNOWLEDGE . Your knowledge that you gain from your education , your sociaty , your parent had created yourselves shaped your emotions and you are expressing yourself in all your lives ..................thats human culture .... but Buddhism is BEYOND all , beyond all culture . In my current understanding of Buddhism the sun and dirt are two being in each own process leading to emptiness same as you or me . All being is NEVER related as you are in your process , the leaf outside your garden is also in its own process back into nothingness ....same process known to me as Buddhism . So you said about drinking tea and drinking motor oil ...you are refering to your condition after you drink it and with that you see the differences ....to me in Buddhism , is all about exploring on your desire to drink , your emotion on chosing what to drink , your emotion on drinking it , your emotion after drinking it ....NOT to creates attachment on the result but is to explore your emotions , your desire and as you progress you will naturally decrease in all emotions ...leading to freedom of any emotions , into emptiness back into nothingness . ...

Thks

CSEe 

"
.........

so you didnt drink the motor oil :)
"
.........

He didn't drink the motor oil or the tea. He's much too concerned with his emotions and ideas about Buddhism to just taste the tea. ;-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152540
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
06:32AM EDT 
vertical line CSEe, with all due respect...just shut up and drink the tea. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152541
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from football
May.23.2013
07:26AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Dear Esoteric , you said  I quote " Sun is sun. Dirt is dirt. Shoe is shoe. You are you.Same as in "same Buddha nature", sure. Same as in "equal in existence", sure. But not same and equal in every way, no.Drink a cup of tea. Then Drink a cup of motor oil. You'll see what I mean. :-) Un-quote

You are refering / basing your reason to your KNOWLEDGE . Your knowledge that you gain from your education , your sociaty , your parent had created yourselves shaped your emotions and you are expressing yourself in all your lives ..................thats human culture .... but Buddhism is BEYOND all , beyond all culture . In my current understanding of Buddhism the sun and dirt are two being in each own process leading to emptiness same as you or me . All being is NEVER related as you are in your process , the leaf outside your garden is also in its own process back into nothingness ....same process known to me as Buddhism . So you said about drinking tea and drinking motor oil ...you are refering to your condition after you drink it and with that you see the differences ....to me in Buddhism , is all about exploring on your desire to drink , your emotion on chosing what to drink , your emotion on drinking it , your emotion after drinking it ....NOT to creates attachment on the result but is to explore your emotions , your desire and as you progress you will naturally decrease in all emotions ...leading to freedom of any emotions , into emptiness back into nothingness . ...

Thks

CSEe 

"
.........

so you didnt drink the motor oil :)
"
.........

"
.........

so you didnt drink the motor oil :)
"
.........

or

Polonium 210

(a radioactive element)

Methanol

(used as rocket fuel)

Acetone

(solvent)

Naphtylamine

Cadmium

(used in batteries)

Carbon monoxide

(found in exhaust fumes)

Ammoniac

(detergent)

Toluene

(industrial solvent)

Arcenic

(Lethal poison)

DDT

(insecticide)

Cyanhydric acid

(was used in the gas chambers)

Urethane

Dibenzacridine

Nicotine

(used as a herbicide and insecticide)

Naphtalene

(moth-repellent)

Pyrene

Vinyl chloride

(used in plastic materials)

etc.

these are the ingredients of a cigarette

enough poison?

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152547
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.23.2013
07:39AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

dear esoteric and football .....lets debate on the topic shall we ........

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152548
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
07:47AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "

dear esoteric and football .....lets debate on the topic shall we ........

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

:-P
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152549
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
May.23.2013
09:02AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

dear esoteric and football .....lets debate on the topic shall we ........

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

:-P
"
.........

"
.........

:-P
"
.........

What  ? anything you like to share my friend ?

thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152550
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
09:56AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

dear esoteric and football .....lets debate on the topic shall we ........

Thks

CSEe

"
.........

:-P
"
.........

"
.........

:-P
"
.........

What  ? anything you like to share my friend ?

thks

CSEe

"
.........

I'm drinking coffee, and writing a story about a little girl who decides to make tacos for Cinco de Mayo, by folding waffles in half and filling them with peanut butter, strawberries, whiped cream, and mint jelly. :-)
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152551
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
09:57AM EDT 
vertical line *whipped cream
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152552
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from football
May.23.2013
12:05PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line I think I am gray wolf
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152555
horizontal line
 
horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
May.23.2013
12:39PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "I think I am gray wolf"
.........

One that can type and navigate a web browser, no less.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 152558
horizontal line
 
Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

 



SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.


Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MONASTERE DE KARSKA
by Olivier Follmi
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books
 
 
d
.
i
.
s
.
c
.
u
.
s
.
s
.
i
.
o
.
n
.

.
f
.
o
.
r
.
u
.
m
.
Copyright © 1999 - 2014 zenguide.com - All rights reserved. °