history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Apr 18 2014 02:10AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the Chinese Ch'an master Chien Paling:
-What is the difference between the meaning of the Sutras and that of the Patriarch?
The master replied:
-When it is cold, hen would go up on a tree and duck down to water. more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: TO BE ONE
vertical line Posted on Jun.05.2013 @ 11:30AM EDT by football

How can one be One with the environment?

I know this is alittle early but Let's discuss.

Go to Latest Reply    Email football
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.05.2013
02:25PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line I was walking out to the mailbox just now, a deer was 10 feet away in the yard. I startled it before I saw it. The deer startled me as the it fled. I turn around and look in the back yard where the deer and I make eye contact. A little excitement in the environment returning to calm and One.
vertical line Topic closed! 153010
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.05.2013
05:56PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Took a kayak out on the lake in the rain just now. Met a dead fish and some white flies. Nobody else was present there on the lake beside myself. The rain droplets on the lake, birds whistle, activity on the shoreline, the breeze to name some sounds. Back inside, the rain has been steady but light today. Nothing else for the moment.
vertical line Topic closed! 153011
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.05.2013
09:06PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Perhaps you are the environment , perhaps you are the condition you are , perhaps is your knowledge that you learn from your culture , family , tradition , sociaty , education had makes you to accept the differences .................perhaps is always youself confusing yourself .................................nothingness is not one as there is never two , nothingness is nothingness without comparison ............thats my current understanding of Buddhism.

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Topic closed! 153012
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.06.2013
04:31AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

thank you for your responses but what I want to dwell on is the good things.the good things that we face.how can we be one with these.where do they come from.can we be one with the source of them.what should we do to carry on them.I know the eight fold path is important here.but can following 'the good' is a path alone?

thanks

vertical line Topic closed! 153013
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.06.2013
05:20AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line Quote: "

Dear football , you said , I quote "thank you for your responses but what I want to dwell on is the good things.the good things that we face.how can we be one with these.where do they come from.can we be one with the source of them.what should we do to carry on them.I know the eight fold path is important here.but can following 'the good' is a path alone?

thanks " un-quote

In my current understanding of Buddhism,  there is never " good" or bad" thing , as all " thing" , happening , experiences is for our own discovery / own learning process towards our own self acceptance so if we always attached to our knowledge on what is good and what should be bad ...we will always be the knowledge that we attached ......YOURSELF is the condition you in and that condition is not one because there is never two .......you are always alone in you own world and that is not one because there is never two .

In my current understanding of Buddhism,  there is never " good" or bad" thing , as all " thing" , happening , experiences is for our own discovery / own learning process towards our own self acceptance so if we always attached to our knowledge on what is good and what should be bad ...we will always be the knowledge that we attached ......YOURSELF is the condition you in and that condition is not one because there is never two .......you are always alone in you own world and that is not one because there is never two .

So you cant be " good" if you know " bad" and you cant be " bad" if you know what is good .........let me share my version of Buddhism in a simple example :-

If you want to enter a room , in Buddhism you will never enter the room no matter how as long as you have the desire to enter , as long as you have emotion that you are outside ......in Buddhism , you will understand your desire to enter , you emotion to be outside and as you progress you will understand the room , you will become the room ......so the " good" thing that you mentioned is always outside if you had attached to your knowledge of what is good and what should be bad .....

All emotion / desire / fear / love / compassion is the condition youself in , is yourself so is never come from outside or never come from any source ...is always yourself . You are nothingness - the Buddha and all these emotions that you carry with you is the polluted energy causes your existance - that is yourself .

So why carry these pollutant ? Buddhism is a natural process leading to empty / free from this emotion and if you carry them , have faith you will created more self , more desire to " carry it " with you therefore you had made a choice to travel longer / more suffering journey ...that is never right or wrong simply that is your path , your choice as you need to discover yourself . So if you from LA want to go to Houston and if you choose to take fight from LA to Russia and take another plan from Russia to Houston .... that is never right or wrong , that simply your learning process ...........

In my current understanding , each of living or non living is in own Buddhism into emptiness and NOTHING is referral to this process nor any text or even the direct words from Siddharta himself . Siddharta had introduced Buddhism to mankind and is your awakening / realization into Buddhism .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Topic closed! 153014
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.06.2013
06:27AM EDT 
vertical line Everyone wants the good life, but few are willing to pay the price.

The price is a hell of a lot of effort, and pain, and emotion, and struggle.

And the bitch of it is, the better things get, the calmer you are, the less "self" that's in the way, the more you see and understand, the more subtle your awareness, the more peaceful and in control you are...

The more you are aware of the effort, and pain, and emotion, and struggle.

It does not get easier. But it does get better.
vertical line Topic closed! 153015
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.06.2013
06:37AM EDT 

thank you for your responses but what I want to dwell on is the good things.the good things that we face.how can we be one with these.where do they come from.can we be one with the source of them.what should we do to carry on them.I know the eight fold path is important here.but can following 'the good' is a path alone?

thanks

"

The only thing you can dwell on is what you dwell on. What that is, what form it takes, and your awareness of it, all depends on your practice.

If your practice is focused on "the good", then you cannot help but face "the bad" along with it. CSEe was right about that. However, the realization that "good" and "bad" are the same thing is sort of useless and meaningless conceptualization. Just like the idea of "emptiness" and "nothing". Useless.

You cannot dwell entirely in the good until you practice to the point of accepting all that is as good. Which it is. Existence is definitely good. But I don't know of anyone who ever reached that kind of non-discrimination. Keep pracicing, and maybe you'll see it's not so much the destination that's important.

If you want to dwell somewhere, dwell right where you are, right now. That's where you'll find "good".
vertical line Topic closed! 153016
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.06.2013
06:46AM EDT 
vertical line P.S. There is only one path to follow. It's the one you're on. Make the best of it.

Peace and love, wisdom and compassion to you, brother football.
vertical line Topic closed! 153017
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.06.2013
08:01AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

thank you for your kind and good words esoteric.

*CSEe*, I couln't find the exact words so I said 'good things'.What I meant by the good things is what you see by your intuitive mind.please evaluate my words, my reply with this perspective.

vertical line Topic closed! 153018
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.06.2013
01:22PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*

thank you for your kind and good words esoteric.

*CSEe*, I couln't find the exact words so I said 'good things'.What I meant by the good things is what you see by your intuitive mind.please evaluate my words, my reply with this perspective.

"

"

Deare football , in human knowledge even as culture , human do have name for everything , we differenciate things with different name .....same as human mind . In Buddhism there is never another mind as the mind is the condition we in , you are in the moment you in , you are the condition you in ........and there is never second or another is always you with yourself .

So regardless I having beers with lots of girl in bar thinking on sex , or in monastry sitting meditation , or playing football with friends ...all my mind is the self I carry with me , all my self is the condition I in .........so as long as you creates distinction , you will always be on one side facing another side or on one side trying to cross to another side .....Dear football , all your mind whether thinking to do evil or trying to do good is same and equal as in Buddhism there is no distinction .

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Topic closed! 153019
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.06.2013
03:39PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line For me, the 'good' is one drop above that's what I call the intuitive mind.
vertical line Topic closed! 153020
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.06.2013
05:37PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Quote: "For me, the 'good' is one drop above that's what I call the intuitive mind."

Instead of "good" or "bad" we should say "all alike"

This "alikeness with all" is "to be One."

Zen is just-that-way.
vertical line Topic closed! 153021
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.06.2013
06:08PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line you can't change me
vertical line Topic closed! 153022
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.06.2013
07:31PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "you can't change me"

in my current understanding , self realization is not accur on a wish , aim , practice , expectation or rejection but is by being awake . So is never my intention to change you but is always my purpose to learn from you . Buddhism is all about learning from others never have any reason to teach or to influence others .............so if we have faith or beliefs even to ourselves that is just like stopping the river flow , thats suffering .........just watch the river water from banks or just follow the flow and enjoy the view -thats Buddhism .

Let your knowledge , your pride , ego , love , compassion , greed , fear pass you , let yourself progress into higher realization , do not trying to hold back yourself by stopping at certain level of awareness ...........just travel , proceed your journey and as you travel you will discover pollutant in you and naturally that pollutant will free from you , so in Buddhism as you travel your emotions / desire / fear / love / compassion / ego etc will naturally decreased and you will be in another condition of less self , the burden of self that you carry is reduced and you will be in a condition quite similar to what we descriped it as happy and freedom .

If we reject or gain more knowledge and live in the knowledge , we are actually travelling in longer more suffering path because as we travel our emotions is increased so as the self grew larger , we will be in a condition more suffering ........

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Topic closed! 153023
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.06.2013
07:46PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Quote: "you can't change me"

juice?
vertical line Topic closed! 153024
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.06.2013
11:52PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line thereis ggod and there is bad, one is conducive to nirvana and the other is not.

giving water to a thirsty person is conducive, by freeing oneself from selfish ideas of cherishing the water for self or for ego is not helpful to understanding things as is.

the universe does not care to much either way

but as the whole reason for buddhism is to reach a happy state free from ego and worldly concerns (nivana which is not nirvana) in this very life, then anything which will aid this is important (if that is what you are striving to)

if you have no ego striving you will share water without thinking about it 'another is thirsty what else is there to do' if you do not ego is talking. This is bad,

ideas of bad and good can be transcended but this is only after you know the difference, usually ego is not good not ego is good.
there is a reason why the dharma is full of ideas of compassion and love and helping others, not killing, cheating whoring etc, these things come from ego cherishing. but you will never know the differance if you do not look.

so ultimatly the ideas of good and evil are human ideas, but the substance of them is not, one is conducive to happiness the other is not. There is a reason for the five precepts, The buddha has given a fairly straight forward instruction for Nirvana (not-nirvana). and this instruction is clear. the universe does not care if anyone has ideas of good and bad as far as i can tell but i pretty sure you will. Karma will follow the particular slant of your decision. so really it comes to a choice of understanding this and therefore freedom or not understanding and therefore un-freedom (which is freedom anyway )
vertical line Topic closed! 153025
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.07.2013
02:46AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "thereis ggod and there is bad, one is conducive to nirvana and the other is not.

giving water to a thirsty person is conducive, by freeing oneself from selfish ideas of cherishing the water for self or for ego is not helpful to understanding things as is.

the universe does not care to much either way

but as the whole reason for buddhism is to reach a happy state free from ego and worldly concerns (nivana which is not nirvana) in this very life, then anything which will aid this is important (if that is what you are striving to)

if you have no ego striving you will share water without thinking about it 'another is thirsty what else is there to do' if you do not ego is talking. This is bad,

ideas of bad and good can be transcended but this is only after you know the difference, usually ego is not good not ego is good.
there is a reason why the dharma is full of ideas of compassion and love and helping others, not killing, cheating whoring etc, these things come from ego cherishing. but you will never know the differance if you do not look.

so ultimatly the ideas of good and evil are human ideas, but the substance of them is not, one is conducive to happiness the other is not. There is a reason for the five precepts, The buddha has given a fairly straight forward instruction for Nirvana (not-nirvana). and this instruction is clear. the universe does not care if anyone has ideas of good and bad as far as i can tell but i pretty sure you will. Karma will follow the particular slant of your decision. so really it comes to a choice of understanding this and therefore freedom or not understanding and therefore un-freedom (which is freedom anyway )
"

There are to many differences in my current understanding of Buddhism against your above statement , I hope to debate with you on the above but I hope for your consent since there are too many .

Thks

CSee

vertical line Topic closed! 153026
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.07.2013
04:46AM EDT 
Email football

in my current understanding , self realization is not accur on a wish , aim , practice , expectation or rejection but is by being awake . So is never my intention to change you but is always my purpose to learn from you . Buddhism is all about learning from others never have any reason to teach or to influence others .............so if we have faith or beliefs even to ourselves that is just like stopping the river flow , thats suffering .........just watch the river water from banks or just follow the flow and enjoy the view -thats Buddhism .

Let your knowledge , your pride , ego , love , compassion , greed , fear pass you , let yourself progress into higher realization , do not trying to hold back yourself by stopping at certain level of awareness ...........just travel , proceed your journey and as you travel you will discover pollutant in you and naturally that pollutant will free from you , so in Buddhism as you travel your emotions / desire / fear / love / compassion / ego etc will naturally decreased and you will be in another condition of less self , the burden of self that you carry is reduced and you will be in a condition quite similar to what we descriped it as happy and freedom .

If we reject or gain more knowledge and live in the knowledge , we are actually travelling in longer more suffering path because as we travel our emotions is increased so as the self grew larger , we will be in a condition more suffering ........

Thks

CSEe

"

"

the world is based on interest

vertical line Topic closed! 153027
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.07.2013
05:33AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "

Thks

CSEe

"

"

"

"

In my current understanding of Buddhism " the world" is always your own world that never connected to others .......and by our attachment on knowledge , we became confuse due to our own knowledge .......

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Topic closed! 153028
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.07.2013
08:28AM EDT 
vertical line Bradley Manning is One
vertical line Topic closed! 153030
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.07.2013
10:30AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Thks

CSEe

"

"

"

"

In my current understanding of Buddhism " the world" is always your own world that never connected to others .......and by our attachment on knowledge , we became confuse due to our own knowledge .......

Thks

CSEe

"

given that statement of current understanding whom is it you communicate with now ? (read connect via the symbols on the screen)
vertical line Topic closed! 153033
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.08.2013
12:51AM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "Quote: "

Thks

CSEe

"

"

"

"

Thks

CSEe

"

given that statement of current understanding whom is it you communicate with now ? (read connect via the symbols on the screen)
"

"

"

Is someone that is never connected or related to me but a great source for my journey of my will in my world . In Buddhism your existance is same as the the body known as culture / knowledge belong to me is just a source that will provide lesson to me in a process of my self realization , this process is to me - Buddhism.

Thks

CSEe 

vertical line Topic closed! 153043
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.09.2013
11:35AM EDT 
vertical line I am Bradley Manning
vertical line Topic closed! 153055
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.09.2013
11:55AM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line "something" in common
vertical line Topic closed! 153056
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.09.2013
03:55PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line I am at my uncle's house.talking.see you later...
vertical line Topic closed! 153057
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenmanstan
Jun.10.2013
08:16PM EDT 
Email zenmanstan
vertical line go outside

vertical line Topic closed! 153069
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
07:18AM EDT 
vertical line F1
vertical line Topic closed! 153079
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.11.2013
10:38AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "go outside

"

respect but just wondering why do you think like that?

vertical line Topic closed! 153096
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
02:06PM EDT 
vertical line cuz
vertical line Topic closed! 153105
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
03:31PM EDT 
vertical line Book 'em Danno!
vertical line Topic closed! 153111
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.11.2013
11:25PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line hahaha
vertical line Topic closed! 153123
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.12.2013
01:27AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ulZiob5I0

vertical line Topic closed! 153124
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.12.2013
05:28AM EDT 
vertical line :-D
vertical line Topic closed! 153127
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this ZEN FANS II
by Gene Ouimette
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s