history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Sunday Apr 20 2014 11:55AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  The Buddha once said this to the Bhikkhus:
"Bhikkhus, as to the source through which perceptions
and notions tinged by mental proliferation beset a man:
if nothing is found there to delight in, welcome and hold to,
this is... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: WHAT IS THE REASON TO TEACH BUDDHISM TO OTHERS ?
vertical line Posted on Jun.10.2013 @ 11:31AM EDT by *CSEe*
Recently I had a short debate with a monk who is well known teacher of Buddhism and I still cant find any reason to agree with him ..........I really hope to find out from any people who claimed as a master or teacher of Buddhism that currently teaching Buddhism in school or giving Buddhism talk for the reason that makes them have emotion to be a teacher to others .....in short I hope to learn what is the reason they teach Buddhism .

I really cant find any reason what makes Dalai Lama have emotion to be teacher to others.....................
I hope anyone here could discuss with me on this .
Thks
CSEe

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email *CSEe*
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.10.2013
11:51AM EDT 
vertical line A voracious sump inhabited by an eternally mutating kangaroo mouse.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153060
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.10.2013
02:27PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Recently I had a short debate with a monk who is well known teacher of Buddhism and I still cant find any reason to agree with him ..........I really hope to find out from any people who claimed as a master or teacher of Buddhism that currently teaching Buddhism in school or giving Buddhism talk for the reason that makes them have emotion to be a teacher to others .....in short I hope to learn what is the reason they teach Buddhism .

I really cant find any reason what makes Dalai Lama have emotion to be teacher to others.....................
I hope anyone here could discuss with me on this .
Thks
CSEe"

A big problem here is that you are trying to debate with someone else about their reasons for doing what they do, because you disagree with it. Any explanation about why behavior occurs is not going to be truth, but rather a way of pointing to the truth. If you're relying on the pointing for understanding, while at the same time holding closely to some negative idea about it because you believe it's not true, then you will not understand. When you understand what's being pointed at for yourself, then will you understand the pointing.

So, to understand why others do what they do, first you have to understand why you do what you do. This is not a subject to be "debated" as if the description is the entirety of what is being described. The only thing that you can know directly, for yourself, is why you do what you do. Only then will you be able to have any kind of understanding why others do what they do.

A specific problem that I have seen in your previous understandings of Buddhism is the misconception that emotion is tainted or polluted, and causes all of existence as a result of pollution, and therefore emotion to you is somehow separate from freedom or liberation of self. This appears to be because you have some nihilistic idea of Buddhism that makes you think that the goal of life, or the natural process of awakening, is leading to a state of complete emptiness or nothingness in which no experience (emotional, mental, or physical) is to be had. That's not liberation of self, that is destruction of everything.

This is an incorrect understanding, probably coming from your desire to end suffering by ending all perception of existence entirely. This is not Buddhism, nor does it have anything to do with seeing reality just as it is. So, it's understandable how you would fail to understand someone's motivation to teach (like mine, for example), because you fail to see how one can experience emptiness and emotion at the same time.

The only advice I can give you is to keep practicing and living (and debating, if you wish) until you understand what it means to understand your oneness with all of existence, and the emptiness of all existence, while at the same time engaging in the form of existence as a human being, all at the same time.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153061
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.10.2013
02:54PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Buddhism studies is about knowledge and sometimes debate.
But, the practicing of Buddhism as a way of life leading to the ultimate awakening is not up for debate.
The reason is simply that practicing means that there is a means of method that works.
It isn't up for debate about how it works or why it works or any such thing.
It is not an issue of how one views Buddhism or parts of the history of Buddhism.

So, CSEe has it in his mind that he can debate the issues and learn to realize the ultimate truth.
In doing so, he has created his own version of Buddhism which he puts up against anyone.
He puts it up for debate. To defend and strengthen through these debates.
This isn't one of the paths or methods given by Buddha to learn the true nature of ones self.
It is one that he just made up along the way ...
with his growing knowledge of what he believes Buddhism to be.
This is not to bash his way. I wish him luck on his journey.
And hope he finds what he is looking for.

Lately the stuff here has turned away from learning more about Buddhism or the practice which leads us to the truth about ourselves.
I see ego clash with ego. And, respect discarded like the dirt brushed aside by the welcome mat.
It is my true wish that this site returns to the way of spreading the knowledge of Buddhism
And the practice which we all hope will lead us to our freedom.
Thanks for lending an ear.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153062
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.10.2013
03:30PM EDT 
vertical line Desire brings you together.
Data sets the agenda.
Doubt frames your questions.

Whatever is received comes to the receiver after the manner of the receiver.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153063
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.10.2013
04:56PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line ON MANNER

an "emptiness without manner"

by "manner" seems to mean a qualified mode of being that can be grasped and conceived intellectually.

we know "God" in our concepts of His essence and attributes, but "beyond all manner" (and therefore beyond all conceiving) in His transcendent, ineffable reality is "suchness."

"For God's impenetrable lack of manner is so dark and without manner that in itself it comprehends all the Divine manners...and in the abyss of God's namelessness it makes a Divine delectation.

flowing-away and sinking-down into the essential nakedness, with all the Divine names and all manners and all living reason which has its image in the mirror of divine truth;

all these fall away into this simple nakedness wanting manner and without reason.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153064
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.10.2013
05:11PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line What is the reason to teach Buddhism to others?

I assume their main care is to teach others "Buddhist Mindfulness." Which has two aspects: One, the penetration of the meaning and reality of suffering by meditation, and two, the protection of all beings against suffering by nonviolence and compassion.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153065
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.10.2013
06:38PM EDT 
vertical line Love the nothing, flee the self. Stand alone. Seek help from no one. Let your being be quiet, be free from the bondage of all things. Free those who are bound, give exhortation to the free. Care for the sick but dwell alone. When you drink the waters of sorrow you shall kindle the fire of love, with the match of perseverance. This is the way to dwell in the desert.

~ Mechthild of Magdeburg
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153066
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.10.2013
07:24PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Found a "deer legged" walking stick on the woods path, today. About a year ago I found a dried root in the ground on the path which I broke into a walking stick. I've been walking through these particular woods for about 20 seasons.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153067
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.10.2013
07:57PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line if you are angry you want to spread that anger, if you are happy you want to spread that happiness.

without realising you cse ask daily to be taught,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153068
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.10.2013
09:35PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Dear esoteric , you said , I quote " A big problem here is that you are trying to debate with someone else about their reasons for doing what they do, because you disagree with it. Any explanation about why behavior occurs is not going to be truth, but rather a way of pointing to the truth. If you're relying on the pointing for understanding, while at the same time holding closely to some negative idea about it because you believe it's not true, then you will not understand. When you understand what's being pointed at for yourself, then will you understand the pointing." un-quote

I do not trying to dis-agree or have desire to rejectany understanding ,I simply cant find any reason that fit in my understanding of Buddhism on why people teach Buddhism .  I accepted any action or re-action by myself or others is a source of learning for me but my question is what makes you have emotion to teach ...I never say I could never learn from others but I just hope to know what is the reason Dalai Lama think he should be teaching others ......

you said , I quote " So, to understand why others do what they do, first you have to understand why you do what you do. This is not a subject to be "debated" as if the description is the entirety of what is being described. The only thing that you can know directly, for yourself, is why you do what you do. Only then will you be able to have any kind of understanding why others do what they do." un- quote

Yes , is true I hope to debate with others on Buddhism but for this particular topic I just hope to seek others reason to teach ......Dear esoteric , anything can be debated if for learning purpose , I hope to debate for my own learning process not to teach so I have all the reason to debate .....

you said , I quote " A specific problem that I have seen in your previous understandings of Buddhism is the misconception that emotion is tainted or polluted, and causes all of existence as a result of pollution, and therefore emotion to you is somehow separate from freedom or liberation of self. This appears to be because you have some nihilistic idea of Buddhism that makes you think that the goal of life, or the natural process of awakening, is leading to a state of complete emptiness or nothingness in which no experience (emotional, mental, or physical) is to be had. That's not liberation of self, that is destruction of everything.This is an incorrect understanding, probably coming from your desire to end suffering by ending all perception of existence entirely. This is not Buddhism, nor does it have anything to do with seeing reality just as it is. So, it's understandable how you would fail to understand someone's motivation to teach (like mine, for example), because you fail to see how one can experience emptiness and emotion at the same ti' Un-quote

Dear esoteric , sorry in advance if you read your own writing again and again perhaps you will see you in your words and that is not me ......I never have faith in myself and Buddhism is just like river ,always flowing if you stop at any level of understanding thats great suffering .... so what is your reason to teach ?

Dear esoteric , you said , I quote "
The only advice I can give you is to keep practicing and living (and debating, if you wish) until you understand what it means to understand your oneness with all of existence, and the emptiness of all existence, while at the same time engaging in the form of existence as a human being, all at the same time." un-quote

Thanks for your kind advse .

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153070
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.10.2013
09:39PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "Buddhism studies is about knowledge and sometimes debate.
But, the practicing of Buddhism as a way of life leading to the ultimate awakening is not up for debate.
The reason is simply that practicing means that there is a means of method that works.
It isn't up for debate about how it works or why it works or any such thing.
It is not an issue of how one views Buddhism or parts of the history of Buddhism.

So, CSEe has it in his mind that he can debate the issues and learn to realize the ultimate truth.
In doing so, he has created his own version of Buddhism which he puts up against anyone.
He puts it up for debate. To defend and strengthen through these debates.
This isn't one of the paths or methods given by Buddha to learn the true nature of ones self.
It is one that he just made up along the way ...
with his growing knowledge of what he believes Buddhism to be.
This is not to bash his way. I wish him luck on his journey.
And hope he finds what he is looking for.

Lately the stuff here has turned away from learning more about Buddhism or the practice which leads us to the truth about ourselves.
I see ego clash with ego. And, respect discarded like the dirt brushed aside by the welcome mat.
It is my true wish that this site returns to the way of spreading the knowledge of Buddhism
And the practice which we all hope will lead us to our freedom.
Thanks for lending an ear.
"

Dear Avisitor , thanks for your perception of me but I hope you could understand the my question here........

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153071
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.10.2013
09:41PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "What is the reason to teach Buddhism to others?

I assume their main care is to teach others "Buddhist Mindfulness." Which has two aspects: One, the penetration of the meaning and reality of suffering by meditation, and two, the protection of all beings against suffering by nonviolence and compassion.

"

Do you think Buddhism is knowledge that we could teach ?

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153072
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jun.10.2013
10:35PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Buddhism is knowledge about the ultimate truth about ourselves
Why would anyone want to teach Buddhism??
Why would anyone like to know the truth about themselves??
Yeah, that's the reason ... hahaha
One teaches cause others want to know.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153073
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from *CSEe*
Jun.10.2013
11:32PM EDT 
Email *CSEe*
vertical line

Quote: "Buddhism is knowledge about the ultimate truth about ourselves
"

If you regard Buddhism is a kind of knowledge than is common sense it can be taught but my question to you is Budhhism is a knowledge ? To me Buddhism is beyond knowledge , beyond anything that we ever know ...and for these differences I am ready to debate with you .

I could understand why anyone need to discover themselves but for a person like Dalai Lama to teach others he must already known himself beyond others .......that is interesting for me to discover his reason .

If you teach because others want to know , what is the reason you think you know what others dont know ? I could teach you how to keep a koi fish because I had tens of years in raring this fish but yet I am always ready to learn something new from you ...but how could I know that you understand yourselve less than I understood myself and have this reason to teach you Buddhism ?..............

Thks

CSEe

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153074
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.11.2013
06:02AM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "What is the reason to teach Buddhism to others?

"

Yes, sit_teh. This is why  we teach Buddhism, as Buddhism. Also, while teaching Buddhism, we learn Buddhism. So, teaching is for self, for other, and for all beings simultaneously. Just as we eat because there is a feeling of hunger, and we feed others because we understand their hunger. Then we enjoy eating together.

All of the universe goes on taking care of itself, whether anyone is there to see it or not. Seeing it is a great gift. Participating in this care is a marvelous wonder.

This is the function of a human being. Simple as breathing. Sometimes people forget to breathe, and forget that they know how. So, we remind each other, and together enjoy the breath of all that is.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153076
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
06:46AM EDT 
vertical line Cabbage served twice is death.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153077
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
08:05AM EDT 
vertical line Cabbage - one step beyond.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153081
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
08:14AM EDT 
vertical line Being beyond Buddhism, knowledge and cabbage - if you have to ask, it's not for you.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153082
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
09:01AM EDT 
vertical line No point in trying to ram your carnivores down my throat.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153083
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
09:28AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Quote: "

Quote: "Buddhism is knowledge about the ultimate truth about ourselves
"

If you regard Buddhism is a kind of knowledge than is common sense it can be taught but my question to you is Budhhism is a knowledge ? To me Buddhism is beyond knowledge , beyond anything that we ever know ...and for these differences I am ready to debate with you .

I could understand why anyone need to discover themselves but for a person like Dalai Lama to teach others he must already known himself beyond others .......that is interesting for me to discover his reason .

If you teach because others want to know , what is the reason you think you know what others dont know ? I could teach you how to keep a koi fish because I had tens of years in raring this fish but yet I am always ready to learn something new from you ...but how could I know that you understand yourselve less than I understood myself and have this reason to teach you Buddhism ?..............

Thks

CSEe

"

the Deli Lama is a interesting case, he is the newest member of a very powerful club. The rulers of Tibet, (was) he has a lot to loose apart from his cia augmented finances so he benefits greatly in teaching others. I recently read seven years in Tibet again and then because i was interested (and surprised by some of the comments) googled the author the SS officer  Heinrich Harrer. I then did some research on the Lamaism and wow i was surprised all is not as it seems in serfdom Tibet. The monks and ruling classes own everything the rest of the population own nothing except the work they do (did) for the monks and rulers. Check out the state oracle, the punishments metered out by the previous Deli Lama, and i do not even mention the supression of the people or the tantric sex stuff,  yes an interesting case!!

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153084
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
09:37AM EDT 
vertical line They eat lamas, don't they?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153086
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
09:42AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i think they spit at them, 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153087
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
09:43AM EDT 
vertical line Deli Beli.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153088
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
09:50AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line pedantic semantics
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153089
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
09:51AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Dr Johnson's johnson
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153090
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.11.2013
09:53AM EDT 
vertical line Lama Glama ding dong.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153091
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
10:05AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line Þu acræftest þæm dolspræcum
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153092
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
10:07AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i think that extends to all dairy producers
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153093
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
10:11AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line enough frivolity 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153094
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
10:13AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8yjNbcKkNY
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153095
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.11.2013
05:59PM EDT 
vertical line I think it's bad ass that you posted in Saxon English.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153114
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jun.11.2013
09:02PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line :) i thought it was kinda funny 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153120
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.12.2013
07:13AM EDT 
vertical line You've got sh i t on your shoes. Now that's funny.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153134
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.12.2013
07:14AM EDT 
vertical line They shoot lamas, don't they?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153135
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.16.2013
07:38PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line "Something" in common,
Rivers deep in our bloodstream.
Yet to name the feeling is to lose the feeling,
So we leave it as it is and love the "Nothing."

Indeed... Nothing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153183
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.16.2013
08:02PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Quote: "Being beyond Buddhism, knowledge and cabbage - if you have to ask, it's not for you. "

I'm starting a restaurant called "Toots Mcgoots"

Serving baked beans and cabbage all day.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153184
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.17.2013
08:31AM EDT 
vertical line Magic. Bean in on me babeeeee ....
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153185
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenmanstan
Jun.18.2013
09:47PM EDT 
Email zenmanstan
vertical line Tell me does service to others make one enlightened? This is for all the bitches out there
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153192
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.18.2013
11:49PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Mastery or Service?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153193
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.19.2013
01:42PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line More Confusion
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153194
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.19.2013
02:41PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Confusion is the lack of spiritual direction and meditation.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153195
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.19.2013
04:02PM EDT 
Email football
vertical line %70 True
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153196
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from zenmanstan
Jun.19.2013
08:09PM EDT 
Email zenmanstan
vertical line It's just when I have the opportunity to help someone that makes for the best feeling in the world and creates long lasting peace
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153197
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.19.2013
09:35PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line Quote: "%70 True"

the other 30% is just chemicals and neurosis out of wack.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153198
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.20.2013
04:53AM EDT 
vertical line %70 True = 100% False.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153199
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.20.2013
05:16AM EDT 
vertical line Fast & Bulbous
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153200
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jun.20.2013
10:05AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "Quote: "%70 True"

the other 30% is just chemicals and neurosis out of wack.
"

yes

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153202
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.20.2013
10:42AM EDT 
vertical line That's a 50% possibility of no to 37% of a fat 10% world. Or, it's easier for a crunchy number to enter a behavioural assessment presence zone aka: a cornflakes box, than for a looped thread to go through the eye of a superman.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153203
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from sit_teh
Jun.20.2013
12:32PM EDT 
Email sit_teh
vertical line What is the Zen of Summer Solstice?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153204
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Joe Chip
Jun.20.2013
04:43PM EDT 
vertical line The Hymn of the Pearl.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153210
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from esoteric
Jun.23.2013
01:43PM EDT 
vertical line Honey-Mead Moon, shining brightly in the sky.

I drank mead, played music, sang songs, read poetry, and made love under the honey-mead moon.

Happy Midsummer's Day, my friends.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153258
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, WAT PHO II
by Charles Newington
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s