history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Saturday Nov 01 2014 06:52AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Once upon a time in a very nice city of ancient India, there were five blind young men were living together and getting along very well. They could share together many things they acquired materially and mentally. They could shared each other... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.
vertical line Posted on Jul.23.2013 @ 07:48PM EDT by bjc51190
Hello everyone,

I have recently just started experimented with meditation, and reading books on Zen. Currently reading Zen mind a beginner mind.

A little introduction in how I started researching Zen, I honestly have a huge ego issue, in which I really break myself down if i'm not the best and feel really ashamed in myself. This epiphany happened when I started taking classes with my friends. When I began college I made kind of a pact with myself that I would not take any classes with people I know, and my reasoning was to avoid studying with people. However what I have noticed is when I take classes with friends I feel the need to do better than them. Which ultimately causes me to do well below my potential.

Here are my questions,

1. I'm not able to sit in the full lotus position, would it make any difference if I just sit in a normal legs crossed position.

2. All I can think about when meditating is how my leg keeps falling asleep is there anyway to prevent that?

3. Also can any recommend any books on the ego specifically.

Thanks for reading guys.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email bjc51190
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from the alan
Jul.23.2013
09:07PM EDT 
Email the alan
vertical line This is NOT for the OP, but for the rest of you "zen masters": tread carefully, observe posting rules.

Al
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153727
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jul.23.2013
09:22PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Hey, I'd love to help you with your ego issue. I think Zen mind beginners mind will show you out the door of the ego. Good luck.

Ps.
Indian style works just fine.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153728
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.23.2013
10:01PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i found the numbness in the legs doesn't really go away as such but you do get used to it.
i put my attention into the legs, feeling the sensation i find it helps me pay attention, helps me realise how much of it is imagined and eases the discomfort. if you just let them go numb and worry about the discomfort later when the blood flows again :)

i think Suzuki is good, but try to look at some of the translated sutras they are gold i reckon. not that i understand anything,

i think try to enjoy your practice it is not a chore, a privilege really,  good luck.

oh pay attention to everything you think, feel, study and drop it, your ego will become clearly evident and then you can smile and move to next thing (realising the ego is what causes the problems for you in first place) ego is like being hit with a stick, if you realise this its power quickly looses its sting and appeal.

good luck
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153729
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.24.2013
11:16AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i find full lotus difficult also, i think half is fine.

all the sutras you might like to read are online translated, i read widely, from all the differant schools, they all offer something. i think personally i prefer the zen method because it has no basis of texts, which makes logical sense to me considering the strong connection to illusion which texts (by their very opinionated reasoning) share.

but i stress dont listen to me, search yourself, within yourself, without, (even though me telling you this is just another erroneous opinion),
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153731
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.24.2013
02:46PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Right here on this website you can find information on how to meditate.
Click the link where it says practice. It is next to principles and stories.

The short of it is that what is absolutely necessary is to have the back straight and the attention focused.
Also, to put in a good honest effort in practice.

If you have more questions then please ask.
There are many here that wish to be of an assistance.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153732
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from bjc51190
Jul.24.2013
09:37PM EDT 
Email bjc51190
vertical line Thanks for the reply everyone. I do have one more question, I have be meditating against a wall in order to keep my back straight. Is this fine?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153738
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Jul.24.2013
09:51PM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line haha cheating if you do it right it will not hurt

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153739
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.24.2013
10:00PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "Thanks for the reply everyone. I do have one more question, I have be meditating against a wall in order to keep my back straight. Is this fine?"

This is best answered by a teacher.
But, in general, it is not good to be using the wall to keep your back straight.
If you get tired then you will tend to use the wall to brace yourself.
This lazy-nest tends to translate into the mind's awareness being lazy.
Not a desirable affect.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153740
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Jul.24.2013
10:05PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line One can do Zazen sitting on a cushion to raise the buttock about 3 to 6 inches.
This will help keep e back straight and the body balanced during the practice.
A full lotus position is not necessary.
A half lotus will work fine.
Even a sitting posture with feet on the ground is okay if your body needs it to remain seated for the required time for Zazen.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 153741
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHIST MONKS IN TIBET
by Flip Chalfant
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s