history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Thursday Oct 23 2014 01:49AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  Tanzan and Ekido were once traveling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling. Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection. "Come on, girl" said Tanzan at... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SCATTERED
vertical line Posted on Dec.26.2013 @ 04:51AM EDT by justin
feeling weirdly scattered today, a need to be mindful and breathe

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email justin
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.26.2013
12:59PM EDT 
vertical line If I feel anxiety, anger, discomfort, then trying to not feel these, causes them to feel stronger. When it is okay that you feel these things they move through naturally. Always I start where I am at and not where I think I ought to be. Whatever arises place it on the present moment and watch it dissolve, if it keepS rising continue putting it on this moment and watch it dissolve. Over and over. In this way I remain genuine and not a facsimile of what I should or should not be.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155449
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
02:38AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line yes notice and not analysise
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155456
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.27.2013
04:09AM EDT 
vertical line So what is the cause of anxiety, anger and discomfort... I thought you said you have enlightenment experience.. and then  you talk too much about it...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155458
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.27.2013
04:11AM EDT 
vertical line And your friend Avisitor have great faith  and inspiration from
you...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155459
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Dec.27.2013
09:28AM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line Quote: "And your friend Avisitor have great faith  and inspiration from
you...LOL

"

It isn't faith.
It is a simple matter of recognizing the truth when one sees it.
His words ring true.
While your words don't.
You speak only of stopping thought like that is the ultimate goal.
When I know for a fact that is the wrong process, the wrong practice, the wrong thought, the wrong goal.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155463
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
10:53AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line yoout are all my friends here    eeven you leo , yes even u :-)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155465
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
11:01AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line scattered does not mean anxious, angry or any other thing but scattered,
it is similar to saying 'not centered'

iiI was just tired
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155466
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
11:04AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i do not know anything about enlightenment I just know a little bit about this persons experience which I thought might be useful to share,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155467
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
11:07AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line ii think how much I talk of something is up to me eh ?

but if Avis benefitted then good I spoke enough :-)

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155468
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
11:18AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line wwowoops I think u meant that for river not me, I should probably read more before writing eh

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155472
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.27.2013
11:19AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line yyeyes I am a tool,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155473
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Dec.27.2013
11:24AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Quote: "wwowoops I think u meant that for river not me, I should probably read more before writing eh

"
......... ./\.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155475
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jaigon
Dec.27.2013
12:21PM EDT 
Email jaigon
vertical line The mind is like steel.  A lump of steel can be cumbersome and a nuisance to those who carry it.  It is hard and impervious, something that does not bend easily.  When a master takes this lump of steel he puts it under the fires of a forge.  Through sweltering heat it begins to yield and soften. 

The mind yields too, after the fires of discipline.  Unfortunately many forget the mind at this stage, a unshapen mess.  But a master, under careful attention, will take it further.  Metal is folded many times.  Over and over it is repeated, until eventually it is strong enough for a blade.  The mind too must be strengthened under careful attention.

Enlightnement is the sword that is the final product.  Like a sword, an enlightened mind will be sharp and elegant.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155476
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
12:45AM EDT 
vertical line "If I feel anxiety, anger, discomfort" ... that is what Riverstone said...LOL..
Maybe  he has Panic Attacks too.. yet he think he is enlightened...LOL
And Avisitor has so much inspiration from him... LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155485
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
05:18PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "So what is the cause of anxiety, anger and discomfort... I thought you said you have enlightenment experience.. and then  you talk too much about it...LOL

"

Anxiety can be said to be a symptom of existing in a future that does not yet exist. Anger is one of the known poisions and goes by another name, aversion. Discomfort is the same as suffering it is the product of having a singular frame of reference. It can be alleviated by not attaching to the frame of reference. Just about everyone has enlightenment experience they simply have not recognized it yet. If you are there to meet the first thought when it arises this is an experience of enlightenment. I do not claim enlightenment because the "I" frame of reference can never know enlightenment, but the "no self" does experience enlightenment. Oddly the "I" and the "no self" are part of the same unfolding process. There is no need to listen nor to attach to anything I say. It seems contradictory but thought and no thought are part of the same process, just as winter and summer are not separate from one another. Enlightenment exist because we engage Dellusion, if there were only enlightenment, enlightenment would cease. But because there is delusion, enlightenment is imminent.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155490
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
05:26PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "scattered does not mean anxious, angry or any other thing but scattered,
it is similar to saying 'not centered'

iiI was just tired
"

I did not mean to infer what it is or was that you were experiencing, but only to describe what arose within me, inspired by your description. Scattered sounds very near to my experience of anxiety and anxiety is very near to my experience of fear. Fearlessness does not mean without fear, but my willingness to walk face forward directly toward that which I fear. when I am okay with my anxiousness, fear, and discomfort, it is free to move on. The more attached to my fear, anxiousness and discomfort the more power they seem to have, the larger they become.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155491
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
05:36PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: ""If I feel anxiety, anger, discomfort" ... that is what Riverstone said...LOL..
Maybe  he has Panic Attacks too.. yet he think he is enlightened...LOL
And Avisitor has so much inspiration from him... LOL

"

When the Zen Master Shunryu Sazuki heard of the death of a friend he shed a tear. His students were confused. Enlightenment starts with understanding that suffering always exist and arises. Yet suffering can cease by practicing egoless-ness. That tear is the root of our compassion that we do not run from our own suffering and we allow as much as necessary to pass through unimpeded is an act of non manipulation. We are not making something better, we embrace it and then let go, embrace again and let go simultaneously, generating no story line, except when we do and letting that story line go when we see we are creating the story. Yes, I cry, I hurt, I suffer, these are the fuel for my compassion for others.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155492
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
07:16PM EDT 
vertical line Not all shedding tears is suffering .. dude..LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155494
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
07:17PM EDT 
vertical line Specially from a Zen Master..LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155495
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
11:07PM EDT 
vertical line I would suggest reading the masters own words on the subject in the book Zen Mind Beginers Mind, masters suffer and even the Buddha suffered. What they do in their practice is the cessation of suffering, yet suffering will arise again. From the experience of impermanence comes suffering which inspires the practice of egoless-ness, which fruitions into peace. The peace feels eternal and there is no expectation that it shall end but because there is impermanence it does end, and so again there is suffering, then the practice of Dharma as EGOLESSNESS and once again, peace. Enlightenment is not a permanent arrival, it is a practice. It is not so much that there are enlightened beings but enlightened actions. When we meet our suffering and surrender the platform of our notion that something should be this way or that way, when we see others struggle in this same manner, the nectar of compassion pours forth, and we are inspired to share the practice. Though truly you can never give to someone the inheritance they already have, but refuse to see, you can only respect the journey.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155511
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.29.2013
11:22AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line dont worry River i understood your meaning,
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155516
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from urgent
Jan.18.2014
04:55PM EDT 
Email urgent
vertical line you are thinking too much
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155699
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA INCENSE HOLDER
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s