history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Tuesday Sep 02 2014 09:58AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: ENLIGHTENMENT
vertical line Posted on Dec.28.2013 @ 05:51PM EDT by Riverstone
I do not believe in a permanent state of enlightenment. I do not seek a permanent state of enlightenment. I am not enlightened, but I practice enlightenment as much as possible. Practicing Zen is an act of enlightenment. I have met enlightened masters and I must say their farts do not glow like fairy dust (if you would forgive my crude attempt at humor). What I have discovered in the presence of masters is that if I am practicing the story line of the Self in the presence of a practicing master, it is quite obvious. Yet practicing in their presence it seems much easier, like a school of fish swimming together in the wake of the same flow. Without them, the Sangha, without the Dharma, without the Budddha, I fall right back into my distractions. It is not so much that all things contain Buddha Nature, but that all things are Buddha Nature itself. So even when I fall into distraction it is a part of the process of waking up.
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.28.2013
07:04PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Super-uselessness
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155493
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
07:24PM EDT 
vertical line If you are really enlightened.. you are enlightened.. and it is permanent.. you cannot reverse it not matter what you do or pretend you are not.
But if you are not enlightened.. you can always think  you are enlightened.. so at one time you think you are enlightened.. but it always nag you the fact that you are not enlightened.... no matter how you convince yourself all other say that  you are enlightened..
You are a dead wood..LOL..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155497
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
07:25PM EDT 
vertical line That is why you have anxiety, anger and restlessnes.. and panic attacks...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155498
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.28.2013
08:31PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line I think, enlightenment philosophy is factual information that trains the brain in it's natural, compassionate ways. Moreover enlightenment brings about a drive to express your deepest feelings heart love and awareness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155502
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.28.2013
08:40PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line In Zen, we enjoy the super-uselessness of just sitting.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155503
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
09:14PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "If you are really enlightened.. you are enlightened.. and it is permanent.. you cannot reverse it not matter what you do or pretend you are not.
But if you are not enlightened.. you can always think  you are enlightened.. so at one time you think you are enlightened.. but it always nag you the fact that you are not enlightened.... no matter how you convince yourself all other say that  you are enlightened..
You are a dead wood..LOL..

"

Change is the only absolute, nothing is permanent. The first noble truth is that, there is suffering. And then there is also the cessation of suffering. The four noble truths were the first teaching of the Buddha after his enlightenment. The very first thing he stressed, the very first noble truth, was the truth of suffering. I have never claimed to be enlightened and never will claim such a thing. We each of us are Buddha Nature, we simply cloud it over with our preferences and conditioning, that is all. There is no perfection to recover because it has never left.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155504
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
09:27PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "In Zen, we enjoy the super-uselessness of just sitting."

What a strange paradox, in my head. The way you phrase this inspires relinquishment. "Uselessness", as you say, this sounds like practicing without an agenda. With such a practice, it is not too far before you are acting with the sword of Prajna, so that yes the lack of agenda has generated the discernment of wisdom. Yet the moment I name my practice as useful, an agenda is generated, and prajna is no longer.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155505
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.28.2013
10:09PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Good point
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155506
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
10:16PM EDT 
vertical line Sitting is never useless....LOL... what a jetsky...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155507
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Dec.28.2013
10:22PM EDT 
vertical line Nothing is permanent because  you are thinking... you are connecting the past, the present, and the future in a long stream of time...lol.. that is thing... you cover the past which is gone, the present which is only now, and the future which will never come...LOL..

If  you can stay with the present moment... everything is permanent...lol...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155509
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Dec.28.2013
10:54PM EDT 
vertical line Quote: "Nothing is permanent because  you are thinking... you are connecting the past, the present, and the future in a long stream of time...lol.. that is thing... you cover the past which is gone, the present which is only now, and the future which will never come...LOL..

If  you can stay with the present moment... everything is permanent...lol...

"

In Buddhism there is the teaching of Impermanence which leads us to Emptiness, emptiness allows us to stop protecting the false self known as ego, and death holds no fearsome grasp at last understanding the temporary identification with the finite. In emptiness you have stopped running from whom you really are. It is overwhelming while still sitting in the seat of being an individual that you are not alone even though you are one. Impermanence will lead you to emptiness.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155510
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Dec.29.2013
03:12AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line "Practicing Zen is an act of enlightenment." beautifully expressed.I won't talk about the rest.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155512
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Dec.29.2013
03:25AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line Why do I say that? Enlightenment is white.en-light-en-ment it's meaning has on its own.
As therefore we can say that Practicing Zen is White.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155513
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from justin
Dec.29.2013
11:19AM EDT 
Email justin
vertical line i gotta agree with Lao, a person can not consider themselves enlightened because that would mean they consider themselves a person.

Uselessness is absolutely the case, there is no purpose to  practice, but practice if there was a purpose that would be saying there is a person to decide purpose/ not purpose.

i cant talk about enlightenment but i can say sometimes a door will open and close behind, there is no re opening even if you might want to, although this is a silly idea for me to discuss because if you know something as it is why would you want to (considering you understand what it is you might like to do) not know it ????

like calling a dog a bird and expecting it to fly
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155515
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from jaigon
Dec.29.2013
12:48PM EDT 
Email jaigon
vertical line Quote: "Sitting is never useless....LOL... what a jetsky...LOL "
.........Nothing has any use or purpose other than to experience.  You may say eating is important to live, living is important to have children, and children are important for furthering the human race.  But then what does furthering the human race do?  It is just a spinning wheel.  It looks pretty when it spins, so leave it at that.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155518
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
Dec.30.2013
08:28AM EDT 
vertical line Question everything,
most of all question yourself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155534
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Dec.30.2013
05:23PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line I am the silent light.
I am the violent light.
I am enlightenment.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155537
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Dec.30.2013
09:39PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line We speak alone in silence

where no one else can hear

But the breeze above us, surrounding us, as the sky holds the trees, shrubs, flower tops.
All here, we listen to each

one as our own, speechless.. . nature

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155538
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jan.01.2014
03:28AM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line

Quote: "We speak alone in silence

where no one else can hear

But the breeze above us, surrounding us, as the sky holds the trees, shrubs, flower tops.

All here, we listen to each

one as our own, speechless.. . nature

"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftV5-1Oh0A&feature=youtu.be

This one is called, Light Above The Trees

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155549
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Jan.03.2014
12:02PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Wow, beautiful... and on a bamboo flute, natural, lovely. 
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155577
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.03.2014
11:57PM EDT 
vertical line Superb.. thats enlightenment...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155578
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jan.04.2014
09:18AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

you can count..you can count those which you can hold with your hands and see with your eyes.Can you hold your mind?No Therefore going from laws to truth is useless.
that you can never find the truth.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155579
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Jan.04.2014
12:26PM EDT 
vertical line Why not?
What truth are  you looking for?...LOL...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155580
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Riverstone
Jan.04.2014
04:55PM EDT 
vertical line A mistake is often made in reference to True Nature. The mistake is believing that True Nature can be understood through the constructs of intellect and logic. We have learned to use intellectual, logical processes to bring about interesting and helpful things in the world. So they are not "bad" in and of themselves. Yet, there is that which can not be uncovered through relational, dualistic observation, namely, true nature. This is why emphasis is placed on doing rather than thinking...
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155585
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from cinchona
Jan.05.2014
06:32AM EDT 
vertical line Nice music, thankgod for our senses.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155591
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from football
Jan.05.2014
07:08AM EDT 
Email football
vertical line

Quote: "Why not?
What truth are  you looking for?...LOL...LOL
"

Yes I said so

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155593
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Jan.06.2014
08:10PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line We certainly believe that awakening our Mind is real. And we believe that in this, we have the opportunity to see our self nature in relation to world-earth. The Dharma becomes our reference to live a natural, conscious life of good and wisdom. Moment to moment we follow the Way, our way. And in our small offerings and kindnesses we learn what works and what is still needing.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 155625
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this MEIJI SHRINE
by Andre Kertesz
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s