history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Friday Nov 28 2014 10:50AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a monk paid a visit to Tinh Khong (1091-1170), a Vietnamese Zen master,
who was of the tenth generation of Vo Ngon Thong lineage, and asked:
-From old days it was talked about "direct pointing", what does that mean?
The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: THE PHILOSOPHER AND ZEN MASTER
vertical line Posted on Mar.30.2014 @ 07:05PM EDT by leoj99
The Philosopher and Zen Master.... Amen...LOL

The Philosopher thinks of a question such as:.. What is the Truth, What is the Reason for Life.. he thinks these are profound questions in life.
And then he thinks of an answer or answers to these questions.. then he ask his students to ask these profound questions for themselves too.. and then think of the answer.. and then talk and debate about it.. day in and day out... sometimes get drunk just to think of the answer to these questions.. but it takes thousands of years to answer these questions...LOL..

A Zen Master.. don't ask or think questions like those... he knows that the problem suffering, wars, conflicts... with others and conflict even in themselves... He does not debate.. he just tell his students to sit with him facing a blank wall counting the breathe,, breathe in and out.. hoping that everybody can stop thinking...Imagine.. facing a blank wall to end suffering, wars, conflicts...LOL

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Mar.30.2014
07:10PM EDT 
vertical line The Zen Master advice you to drink water or tea only.. when you are sitting facing a blank wall...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156082
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from urgent
Mar.30.2014
07:25PM EDT 
Email urgent
vertical line

Do you think to sit facing a blank wall?
the most difficult part

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156083
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from urgent
Mar.30.2014
07:50PM EDT 
Email urgent
vertical line otHEr
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156084
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Woodsman
Mar.30.2014
08:51PM EDT 
Email Woodsman
vertical line Oh, here I am, sitting here facing this wall with nothing to say or think about.
My wall is a sliding glass door where I can look out and see the clouds in the clear blue sky, water dripping off the roof's edge from melting snow, (are you still, with me?) Tibetan prayer flags hang from the roof's corner edge outside to a section below an outside window... they are moving in a gentle breeze, let me look... oh, the are still... now, still.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156086
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from urgent
Mar.31.2014
06:45AM EDT 
Email urgent
vertical line no
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156090
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Mar.31.2014
04:16PM EDT 
vertical line Philosophers post the question: "What do we understand?" And after much thinking their answer is:" We understand what we can understand." The all say it is a great answer after days and years of debates using very precise phrases...

The Zen Master who is sitting facing a blank wall will not even take a minute to deal with such question. He says that is no answer. It is just a mind trick...LOL

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156091
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from urgent
Mar.31.2014
05:56PM EDT 
Email urgent
vertical line

I understand

-thank you

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156092
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.02.2014
12:12AM EDT 
vertical line Philosophers create phrases where they will live by their life.. they call it sayings or wise words as a rule to live their lives...

Zen Masters don't rely on any words.. no phrases to live by... they just eat, just walk, just sleep... just jump and laugh...LOL..
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156096
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Avisitor
Apr.02.2014
01:40PM EDT 
Email Avisitor
vertical line If you cut us ... do we not bleed???
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156104
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Nezumi
Apr.03.2014
12:11PM EDT 
Email Nezumi
vertical line "Imagine.. facing a blank wall to end suffering, wars, conflicts..."

Just because one does seemingly silly antics in an attempt to gain a better insight into themselves and human nature, does not mean that they must be passive at all times. 

To paraphrase a parable, if you take a bucket of water out on a full moon night and stir the water, you will see ribbons of light.  But allow the water to settle, and you will witness the moon come together in pieces of waves. 

That doesn't mean that one can now control the moon.  Likewise, to see the reason behind wars and suffering will not immediately bring it all to an end.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156117
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from leoj99
Apr.04.2014
11:10PM EDT 
vertical line But actually that is the only way to stop suffering, wars and conflicts... sit and face a blank wall... take it from the Zen Masters...LOL
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156123
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA (DETAIL)
by
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s