history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Dec 22 2014 03:37PM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day a monk paid a visit to Tinh Khong (1091-1170), a Vietnamese Zen master,
who was of the tenth generation of Vo Ngon Thong lineage, and asked:
-From old days it was talked about "direct pointing", what does that mean?
The... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SUFI
vertical line Posted on Apr.05.2014 @ 09:05AM EDT by justin
There was a guy who used to come here often and he posted many poems and things (Joe Chip) of Sufi origin, I have read some of the Sufi stuff lately and it seems to be very similar to Buddhas teachings.

The idea that one finds his own salvation and can not rely on books and such, but through meditation, I was explained this way: The sufi finds the universe with the help of God, but the Buddhist finds the universe himself / herself personally i like the Buddhist way i feel it is the 'happiest' .

The person explained to me the Buddhist has not safety net, and is on the harder path. But if perserveres will reach the Goal of oneness, with much confidence having relied only on him/herself to get there.

But from revaluations of the mystics of all faiths it seems more and more to me there is only one thing and all roads lead there, some are just convoluted.

I have found the idea that if anyone appears in your meditations they are in your way and will cause you to stray, works.

Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email justin
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Apr.20.2014
09:08PM EDT 
vertical line A caterpillar is told that one day it will be a beautiful butterfly. "Show me now", says the carerpillar, "while I'm crawling up this tree."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156247
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Apr.20.2014
09:13PM EDT 
vertical line A King was once becoming impatient with a lecture by a Sufi, and made up his mind to score a point or two off him. Thus it was that, as soon as the Sufi had said, for - it seemed to the King - the thousandth time that "hundreds were blind and even those who were not blind could not understand what they saw", he held up his hand. "As the King of this country, I insist that you match allegation with demonstration. On pain of death, show me these people who are blind, and those who are not, but will still not understand," he said. "Certainly, your Majesty", said the Sufi. "And I will give even you, a mere king, the honour of taking part in my demonstration." "What do I have to do?" asked the King. "You will sit for one day in the bazaar, the local market, in your robes and wearing your crown, hammering upon a brass tray."

And so the King sat there all day with the Sufi beside him. Every few minutes someone stopped and asked, "What are you doing?" and the Sufi, sitting nearby, took down his or her name. At the end of the day the Sufi said, "Your Majesty - here is the list of all the people who stopped and were so blind that they could not see what you were doing, hammering a brass tray, and had to ask." The King was quite impressed; but then a thought struck him. "Yes, but what about a list of the people who are not blind but still cannot understand what they see?" "That's easy", said the Sufi, "all you have to do is to make a copy of the same list and it will do just as well."
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 156248
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this GREEN TARA
by Siddhimuni Sakya
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s