history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Nov 20 2017 08:43AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  A monk asked the Chinese Ch'an master Chien Paling:
-What is the difference between the meaning of the Sutras and that of the Patriarch?
The master replied:
-When it is cold, hen would go up on a tree and duck down to water. more...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: SELF-IMMOLATION - IS IT WRONG?
vertical line Posted on Aug.21.2017 @ 02:31PM EDT by TashiDolma
The first topic that I would like to discuss is quite controversial - self-immolation. As someone who grew up in a Buddhist family, I have been taught that committing suicide for whatever reason is wrong. I think self-immolation fit the definition of suicide. I always wonder why the Dalai Lama has never spoken to discourage more people from burning themselves? In the video below, he said that he is not fit to speak about the issue because he is no longer a secular leader. However, I think as a spiritual leader, he can speak about the issue from the Buddhist perspective:

https://youtu.be/gXCjy3YV7Ks

Even an ordinary Tibetan Lhasang Tsering is hoping the Dalai Lama is speaking about the issue. Do let me know what does everyone think about the issue?

https://youtu.be/AkciWqBBg9M

Tashi Dolma
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email TashiDolma
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.21.2017
02:49PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line ah
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161524
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.21.2017
03:13PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line Welcome to the forum Tashi.
I mostly give replies without reading the subjects.
Hope this doesn't make you bother
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161525
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.21.2017
04:28PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line Don't know
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161526
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Aug.21.2017
08:50PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Are you thinking about killing yourself? Check yourself into a hospital immediately.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161527
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from TashiDolma
Aug.22.2017
02:08PM EDT 
Email TashiDolma
vertical line Dear So Teh

Thank you for your kind concern. No, I am not thinking of killing myself. I am thinking about how to prevent others from killing themselves - specifically to prevent further self-immolation to promote the Tibetan cause. I think that one of the ways to avoid self-immolation is for the Dalai Lama to speak up and discourage self-immolation. Would you mind to share your opinion about this matter?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161531
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from so_teh
Aug.22.2017
09:30PM EDT 
Email so_teh
vertical line Oh yes. If the Dalai Llama would offer his insight people would listen. Although, people are always listening. The art is to get people to hear.

Self-immolation has become it's own technique, as with suicide. Whatever the inner cause for one to destroy themself will remain the debate.

Whether it's wrong or right? In one sense, most of the population doesn't end their physical life like that. But their are mental suicides happening on a moment to moment basis. Greed, Anger, Envy, Hate, Inattention etc.

Generally any belief will cause discord for your true self. Perhaps it is everyone's right to have their personal beliefs.

Think about where you are everyday and what you are actually seeing in the present moment, not on the news, not on the internet, not in the newspapers, not books, not media.

If you are cutting out your present moment to help with some cause, you're neither helping the cause nor yourself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161532
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Aug.23.2017
04:46AM EDT 
vertical line Winter is coming. Ask yourself whether you need to bring more LIGHT to earth or less?
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161533
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.23.2017
02:21PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line War is good
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161545
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from TashiDolma
Aug.24.2017
06:29PM EDT 
Email TashiDolma
vertical line Quote: "Oh yes. If the Dalai Llama would offer his insight people would listen. Although, people are always listening. The art is to get people to hear.

Self-immolation has become it's own technique, as with suicide. Whatever the inner cause for one to destroy themself will remain the debate.

Whether it's wrong or right? In one sense, most of the population doesn't end their physical life like that. But their are mental suicides happening on a moment to moment basis. Greed, Anger, Envy, Hate, Inattention etc.

Generally any belief will cause discord for your true self. Perhaps it is everyone's right to have their personal beliefs.

Think about where you are everyday and what you are actually seeing in the present moment, not on the news, not on the internet, not in the newspapers, not books, not media.

If you are cutting out your present moment to help with some cause, you're neither helping the cause nor yourself.
"

Dear So Teh

Thank you for your insight on mental and physical suicide. I have the same thought as you that if the Dalai Lama speaks people will listen. His statement to discourage self-immolation, if he issues any, would be helpful in preventing further loss of life. Do you think he will speak to discourage self-immolation one day?

I am a Buddhist for the most of my life, and I have always been taught that killing either oneself or other sentient beings are wrong.

Thank you again So Teh. I hope to hear from you soon.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161549
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Aug.25.2017
03:56AM EDT 
vertical line Some Buddhists would disagree with you.

And those who do agree with you and have killed themselves anyway, for a cause, may or may not abdicate full responsibility for their actions.

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161550
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.25.2017
01:42PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line What had i been said? ; ah

ah
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161553
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.25.2017
05:11PM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line Metallica - The Day That Never Comes

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Mlahvvymkxc

vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161554
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Aug.25.2017
06:21PM EDT 
vertical line There you go
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161555
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA, PHAN, THAILAND
by Mark Standen
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s