history principles practice stories, books, media discussion forum organizations resources
zenguide.com logo

Monday Nov 20 2017 08:43AM ET
º login º register º email º guestbook º printer friendly
grey dot
  One day when Fa-yen Wen-i (885-958), one of the well known Chinese Ch'an masters,
has ascended his seat. From the assembly, a monk came out and asked:
-What is one drop of water from the fount of Tsao-ch'i?
Fa-yen repied:
-It's... continue...

z
e
n
menu left history menu spacer principles menu spacer practice menu spacer zen media menu spacer discussion forum menu spacer organization directory menu spacer resources  
login
  DISCUSSION FORUM
» topic list   » start a new topic   » my tracked topics   » view topic
grey dot

horizontal line
→→→→ vertical line TOPIC: NEPAL & TIBETAN BUDDHISM
vertical line Posted on Aug.24.2017 @ 07:08PM EDT by TashiDolma
I came across this article from 12 years ago by coincidence. I noted that the Nepali government closed two offices associated with the Dalai Lama. According to the article, these two offices took care of 20,000 refugees. Does anybody have an insight about the impact of this closure to the growth of Buddhism?

Nepal closes Dalai Lama's office in Kathmandu

Kathmandu - Nepal has closed two offices in Kathmandu associated with exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, Tibetan and foreign ministry sources said Thursday.

The government has closed the office of the Dalai Lama's representative and the Tibetan Refugee Welfare Office, a Tibetan source said.

"Following an official notification of the home ministry, we have shut down all the offices relating to the Tibetan refugees from this week," a senior welfare office staffer told AFP.

The welfare office looks after more than 20,000 Tibetan refugees who left their homeland after the Dalai Lama fled Tibet in 1959 amid a failed uprising against Chinese rule.

The Chinese embassy has frequently lodged strong protests with the Nepalese government for permitting the Tibetan office to operate in Nepal in the name of the Dalai Lama.

Nepal, which is careful not to antagonise its giant neighbour, recognises Beijing's rule over Tibet. A senior foreign ministry official said the Tibetan offices had not registered as required under Nepalese law.

The Tibetan Refugee Welfare Office (TRWO) had been helping several hundred destitute Tibetans who fled from Tibet across Himalayan passes to head to the northern Indian hill resort of Dharamsala where the Dalai Lama lives in exile.

After crossing into Nepal, the Tibetans are provided with travel documents by the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) to help them to travel to Dharamsala.

"The closing of the TRWO may be a big problem for the Tibetan refugees fleeing from the roof of the world for their political freedom," a diplomatic source said.

http://www.phayul.com/news/article.aspx?id=8923
Go to Latest Reply   Reply to this Topic   Email TashiDolma
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Phil Space
Aug.25.2017
03:57AM EDT 
vertical line You make it sound like a virus.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161551
horizontal line

horizontal line
Reply from Enver m.
Aug.25.2017
04:17AM EDT 
Email Enver m.
vertical line The truth, 'whatever' does not play with man; man plays with himself.
vertical line Quote & Reply   Post Reply 161552
horizontal line

Back To Topic List   Go to Top of Page

SUPPORT ZENGUIDE.COM
If you are planning on purchasing any product from amazon.com, you can help us out by using the search box to the right or by clicking on this link to begin shopping.

Purchase posters, art prints, media (music CD & DVD)

buy this BUDDHA : STATUE & FIGURINE COLLECTION
by Unknown
Puchase this Item
More Art Prints & Media
Zen & Buddhism books

d
i
s
c
u
s
s